At 2:58 PM -0500 2/10/00, Dave Sill wrote:
>Paul Schinder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  >At 2:39 PM -0500 2/10/00, Dave Sill wrote:
>  >>I installed Shinya Ohira's checkpw checkpassword replacement, and it
>  >>works fine with "checkpw" (standard USER + PASS authentication), but
>  >>with "checkapoppw" I get "authorization failed". I'm using fetchmail,
>  >>but I have the same problem when I "manually" generate the APOP hash.
>  >
>  >Really?  It works for me.  Do you have a ~/Maildir/.password with the
>  >right permissions?
>
>Yeah, really. I put the .password in place, verified it using checkpw,
>switched to checkapoppw without touching .password, and it fails.
>
>  >>How can I debug this?
>  >
>  >Put recordio in the chain, or fetchmail -vv.
>
>I'll try recordio, but here's what fetchmail -vv said:
>
>$ fetchmail -vv
>fetchmail: 5.1.0 querying emaildev (protocol APOP) at Thu, 10 Feb
>2000 14:49:04 -0500 (EST)
>fetchmail: POP3< +OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>fetchmail: POP3> APOP de5 377129bbb5e2a8e84b0576cddaf384c9
>fetchmail: POP3< -ERR authorization failed
>fetchmail: authorization failed
>fetchmail: Authorization failure on de5@emaildev
>fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
>fetchmail: authorization error while fetching from emaildev
>fetchmail: Query status=3
>fetchmail: normal termination, status 3
>fetchmail: Deleting fetchids file.
>
>(.password contained "apoptest" at the time)

I doubt that recordio will help you any more than this.

>And:
>
>$ echo -n "<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>apoptest"|md5
>377129bbb5e2a8e84b0576cddaf384c9

I get the same checksum on both Mac and Sun.

Is it an Inhell chip?  (It'd give me a perverse pleasure to see
something fail on an Intel chip for a change because of endian
problems.)  Maybe checkpw's md5 calculation assumes big endian?  I
use it on both PPC (Linux) and Sparc (Solaris 7) with no problems.

--
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center