Ok thanks a lot, you answered my (rather badly phrased) question perfectly.
I intend to offer my clients a web based interface to their pop3 mail in conjunction
with a java aplet based live notificationt that they have new mail. As the account
that they will be using will be their standard pop3 one I need to maintain the
integrity
of their existing email locations unless they explicitly override that by deleting etc.
Now in order for the java server to update the client when new mail is available it
needs some way of knowing which mails have already been read by the web client.
Looking at the maildr spec I see that the info addition to files in the cur directory
could be used for this purpose. Does qmail-pop3d currently offer anything outside
rfc 1460 that can mark messages as read? If not can anyone think of the most
logical way to utilise that info field? I would like to then improve on the
functionality
to offer imap style folders but virtually based on a code in the info.
Thanks for any help,

--
Marek Narkiewicz, Systems Director WelshDragon ltd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]