I'm having the same trouble with imap-4.5 (with David Harris' maildir
patches) that I had with APOP: plaintext login authentication works
fine, but CRAM-MD5 authentication fails every time.

With APOP, the challenge/response are easy to calculate, e.g.:

  echo -n "<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>apoptest"|md5

where the message-ID-looking thing is the challenge, and "apoptest" is
the password. But CRAM-MD5 does something different...some sort of
"keyed md5".

Anyone know how to manually generate the proper response?

Anyone know if fetchmail does it right?

Anyone using imap-4.5 with CRAM-MD5 successfully?

-Dave