qmail Digest 16 Feb 2000 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 913

Topics (messages 37238 through 37300):

Attachement logging
        37238 by: Christian Wiese

Custom mail directories
        37239 by: John P. Looney
        37240 by: petervd.vuurwerk.nl
        37243 by: John P. Looney
        37244 by: Anand Buddhdev
        37245 by: John P. Looney
        37248 by: Anand Buddhdev
        37257 by: brianb-qmail.technet.evoserve.com

Re: Big and/or famous sites using qmail?
        37241 by: brianb-qmail.technet.evoserve.com

Help testing the installation
        37242 by: joe.acsc.com.hk

Re: address translation]
        37246 by: Hans Sandsdalen

about local and global qmail using
        37247 by: mulin

Two qmail servers with data over nfs
        37249 by: David Sedeño Fernández

time stamp
        37250 by: patrick.lagace
        37258 by: Dave Sill

Re: Problem Found
        37251 by: Dave Sill

Re: remote localhost...
        37252 by: Dave Sill

Re: daemontools-0.61 and qmailanalog
        37253 by: Dave Sill
        37265 by: Jeremy Hansen
        37266 by: Russ Allbery
        37267 by: Jeremy Hansen
        37268 by: Russ Allbery

Re: address translation
        37254 by: Bruno Wolff III

Not a FAQ 5.4 ?
        37255 by: Cor Lem
        37259 by: Dave Sill
        37261 by: Häffelin Holger
        37262 by: Cor Lem
        37263 by: Cor Lem
        37264 by: Timothy L. Mayo
        37269 by: Cor Lem

Re: Mailing List
        37256 by: Dave Sill

ezmlm-idx 0.40 and web archives...
        37260 by: Angus Robertson

-ERR
        37270 by: chupepe
        37272 by: Brad Kanipe
        37273 by: Brad Kanipe

qmail Maildir and UNIX "mail"
        37271 by: Brad Kanipe
        37275 by: Magnus Bodin
        37276 by: Dave Sill

Re: -ERR BRAD KANIPE
        37274 by: chupepe

qmail Maildir and Mailbox
        37277 by: Director tecnico--Nodo Nicarao
        37279 by: Dave Sill

why wont q-mail use other mail exchanger??
        37278 by: Brian Johnson
        37281 by: Greg Owen
        37283 by: Brian Johnson

Multiple qmail problems <newbie>
        37280 by: Chad Day

Please disregard "Multiple qmail problems" <newbie>
        37282 by: Chad Day

Re: Bad Return-Path: Qmail bag?
        37284 by: Sam

-ERR usage:
        37285 by: kiwitp

-ERR authorization failed
        37286 by: kiwitp
        37288 by: Sam
        37290 by: kiwitp
        37291 by: Erich Zigler
        37295 by: Sam

Re: Big and/or famous sites using qmail? --Big not famous
        37287 by: Gregory J. Forkin

NFS slowness with MAILDIR
        37289 by: Curtis Generous

Remote mail not delivered to Maildir
        37292 by: James Timberlake
        37296 by: James Timberlake

Re: Command-line MUA for Maildirs?
        37293 by: Len Budney

tcpserver problem
        37294 by: Francis Francis
        37297 by: Anand Buddhdev

Uh-oh:_Again
        37298 by: Shashi Dahal

Distribution List
        37299 by: Muhammad Ali

pop3 and checkpassword
        37300 by: kiwitp

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a qmail solution for logging all incomming and outgoing
messages which contain attachements.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings

Christian

 I have all must users account details stored in an SQL database, not in
/etc/password. I found the checkpassword program, and modified it so it
fills out the requesite information, and it seems to be working, for POP
mail.

 However, what do I do to allow qmail to *deliver* into the custom Mail
directories ?

Kate

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 11:57:32AM +0000, John P. Looney wrote:
>  I have all must users account details stored in an SQL database, not in
> /etc/password. I found the checkpassword program, and modified it so it
> fills out the requesite information, and it seems to be working, for POP
> mail.
>
>  However, what do I do to allow qmail to *deliver* into the custom Mail
> directories ?

Create users/assign from SQL.

Greetz, Peter.
--
Peter van Dijk - student/sysadmin/ircoper/madly in love/pretending coder

| 'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot;
|  C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off.'
|                             Bjarne Stroustrup, Inventor of C++

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 01:00:57PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] mentioned:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 11:57:32AM +0000, John P. Looney wrote:
> >  I have all must users account details stored in an SQL database, not in
> > /etc/password. I found the checkpassword program, and modified it so it
> > fills out the requesite information, and it seems to be working, for POP
> > mail.
> >
> >  However, what do I do to allow qmail to *deliver* into the custom Mail
> > directories ?
>
> Create users/assign from SQL.

 Ah. That's a problem. I'll have to add to that file, every time a new
user is added ? ( say, 200 times a day ...)

Kate

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 11:57:32AM +0000, John P. Looney wrote:

>  I have all must users account details stored in an SQL database, not in
> /etc/password. I found the checkpassword program, and modified it so it
> fills out the requesite information, and it seems to be working, for POP
> mail.
>
>  However, what do I do to allow qmail to *deliver* into the custom Mail
> directories ?

man qmail-users

--
See complete headers for more info

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 03:21:04PM +0300, Anand Buddhdev mentioned:
> > /etc/password. I found the checkpassword program, and modified it so it
> > fills out the requesite information, and it seems to be working, for POP
> > mail.
> >  However, what do I do to allow qmail to *deliver* into the custom Mail
> > directories ?
> man qmail-users

 I was hoping there was an alternate way; that I could find the home
directory required in a similar way as to how pop3d can authenticate
via a plugin. All the users info is in an SQL database, which is updated
between a hundred and a thousand times a day, so regenerating the assign
file is not an option.

Kate

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 12:31:38PM +0000, John P. Looney wrote:

> > man qmail-users
>
>  I was hoping there was an alternate way; that I could find the home
> directory required in a similar way as to how pop3d can authenticate
> via a plugin. All the users info is in an SQL database, which is updated
> between a hundred and a thousand times a day, so regenerating the assign
> file is not an option.

Then you need to modify qmail-getpw to look-up the SQL database, and
return relevant information, ie. uid, gid, home directory, etc. For more
info:

man qmail-getpw

--

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, John P. Looney wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 03:21:04PM +0300, Anand Buddhdev mentioned:
> > > /etc/password. I found the checkpassword program, and modified it so it
> > > fills out the requesite information, and it seems to be working, for POP
> > > mail.
> > >  However, what do I do to allow qmail to *deliver* into the custom Mail
> > > directories ?
> > man qmail-users
>
>  I was hoping there was an alternate way; that I could find the home
> directory required in a similar way as to how pop3d can authenticate
> via a plugin. All the users info is in an SQL database, which is updated
> between a hundred and a thousand times a day, so regenerating the assign
> file is not an option.

You probably should use something like vpopmail
(http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail) which does this. The current version has
support for MySQL.

Brian
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.baquiran.com

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, S Ashok Kumar wrote:

> > What is Bluetail Mail Robustifier? I couldn't find any pointers on the Net.

Check out http://www.bluetail.com/products/index.shtml

Very interesting reading.

Brian

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.baquiran.com

Hi,
    I am new in linux. After gathering infomration , I fins qmail is very powerful and eay to config. However, I encounter the following problem
. Can u help me solve it?

The Problem is:
I can build and install the qmail but I cannot success in following the guideline in TEST.deliver.
I am follow the sequence mention in the INSTALL and read through the INSTALL.*

from the TEST.deliver:
when i run the /var/qmail/rc
it will has four process but i only get one "qmail-lspawn"
I also fail in the local mail delivery. Can u tell how figure what mistake I have made?
Also I don't understand the idea that decscride in mbox , Maildir and Mailbox
which one should  I choose, since I need to maintan POP server for Ms windoms client.

Thanks

Joe

Hans Sandsdalen wrote:

> Hi
>
> How do I make qmail understand addresses like host!user@domain?
>
> I have installed HP jetadmin on a Solaris 7 system, and when
> there are printing errors it sends a mail to the user with
> addresses like this.
> --
> /hans

I think I can use rmail
(ftp://ftp.mira.net.au/unix/mail/qmail/rmail-0.1.tar.gz)
But how do I use it? In the INSTALL file it says that I should replace
my existing
rmail. I don't have one?
--
/hans

Hello qmail,

  Who knows does qmail allow to send mail to Internet for privilleged
  users and deny the same for unprivilleged.

Best regards,
 mulin                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi all,

We have a new project to install a high end mail system. We need to
install two mail servers (or more) that share data over nfs on a disk
sharing subsystem. We would need to have comments with this
configuration and more presicely using qmail and vpopmail.

Thanks in advance

hello qmail

for some reasons it seams like qmail gives a wrong time stamp to my
incomming email's.
Systems time are O.K. i really dont know where it comes from??

here is  a copy of the header:

real time is : Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:49:39

12:49:40 -0000

thanks in advance

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"patrick.lagace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>for some reasons it seams like qmail gives a wrong time stamp to my
>incomming email's.

qmail logs using Universal Coordinated Time (UTC), not the local
timezone. This is a feature. There's no "fix".

-Dave

"Peter Samuel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yes. The message is deferred because preline exited with the
>appropriate status. qmail tries the delivery again and folows the
>instructions in the .qmail file, one of which is to save the message
>in the user's Maildir/ It stopped after 7 days as that is the default
>queuelifetime value.

When delivering to both a mailbox and a program, it's better to
deliver them via separate .qmail files because if they're in one
.qmail file, and either delivery fails temporarily, *both* will be
retried every time.

E.g., instead of:

  ~user/.qmail:

    ./Maildir/
    |vacation

  ~user/.qmail:

    user-maildir
    user-vacation

  ~user/.qmail-maildir:

    ./Maildir/

  ~user/.qmail-vacation:

    |vacation

This way, the maildir and vacation deliveries are independent, and if
one fails and is retried, the other won't be multiply delivered.

-Dave

"Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Try putting "localhost" in control/locals. This solved the same
>> problem for me
>
>i have tried that many times...

Did you restart qmail after updating locals?

>i have also put it in control/rcpthosts,
>with disastrous results (all of my mails being returned to their
>respective senders with error messages...).

That doesn't make any sense. If "localhost" is not a virtual domain,
it *must* be in rcpthosts.

And do you mean "localhost" literally, or are you hiding some real
domain name?

>perhaps i can explain the problem more clearly.  qmail will accept and
>deliver messages addressed to 'user' but not to 'user@localhost'.  when
>a message is addressed to localhost, qmail complains 'that domain isn't
>in my list of allowed rcpthosts'.

Right, so what makes you think it shouldn't be in rcpthosts?

>why doesn't qmail locally deliver mail addressed to localhost?

It's not accepting the mail via SMTP because "lcoalhost" isn't in
rcpthosts.

>is it uncommon for qmail to behave this way?  or does qmail do this by
>default for some reason?

This is the expected behavior for a misconfigured qmail. :-)

Run qmail-showctl and post the results.

-Dave

Jeremy Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>cat tmp | tai64n | ./tai64n2time | /usr/local/qmailanalog/bin/matchup  |

As Russ Allbery pointed out, you should be timestamping the log
entries at the time they occur. But I couldn't let the egregious use
of "cat" go by...

  cat file | prog ...

is silly. Instead use:

  prog <file ...

-Dave

Ok, this part I don't understand.  I'm using the t option, yet in my long
I see no timestamp at all.  Tmp is just a sample output from multilog.

Are you saying that tai64n should be used at logging?  Perhaps you could
give me an example that would better clarify this for me.

Thanks
-jeremy

http://www.xxedgexx.com | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jeremy Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Ok, this part I don't understand.  I'm using the t option, yet in my
> long I see no timestamp at all.  Tmp is just a sample output from
> multilog.

What does your multilog command line look like?  Order of actions is
significant.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Actually I just figured it out.  I was called multilog wrong.  I'm using
Bruce G's rpm's and he does some stuff around his $logger varible in his
init scripts that altered the command sequence a little, basically cause
his scripts were built for his logger qfilelog.

I now have time stamps, so really all I need to do is call tai64nfrac
through matchup, right?

Thanks
-jeremy

> Jeremy Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Ok, this part I don't understand.  I'm using the t option, yet in my
> > long I see no timestamp at all.  Tmp is just a sample output from
> > multilog.
>
> What does your multilog command line look like?  Order of actions is
> significant.
>
> --
> Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

http://www.xxedgexx.com | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jeremy Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I now have time stamps, so really all I need to do is call tai64nfrac
> through matchup, right?

Works For Me (tm).  :)

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 08:02:24AM +0100,
  Hans Sandsdalen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just want to remove the "host!" part of the string. I could of
> course use .qmail files, but this will be a lot of work. There
> is not a fixed number of hosts nor users at each host.

You can use the catch .qmail file (~alias/.qmail-default) and condredirect
to do what you want. You need one condredirect line for each address that
might have their mail forwarded this way.

If you really want to do generic relaying of this sort, then you can get
by using formail to resend the message. Make sure you check the host
you are forwarding to against a list of valid hosts so you don't get abused
by spammers.

Hello,

1) I've set up pop3, this all works fine
2) ip's listed in host.allow can send mail (through smtp - FAQ 5.4)

Problem:
When someon tries do deliver mail to my server (trough smtp), which
is for a domain listed in control/rcpthosts it's not allowed to do so :o(

After reading the documentation and specialy man qmail-smtpd I think
this is wrong behaviour ...

Since it should be deliverded localy it should be accepted, no matter
where it's from. So this isn't a relaying problem, if I have a correct
understand of the documentation.

Can someone please explane where i'm going wrong here?

Thanks for any response,
Cor Lem

Cor Lem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>1) I've set up pop3, this all works fine
>2) ip's listed in host.allow can send mail (through smtp - FAQ 5.4)
>
>Problem:
>When someon tries do deliver mail to my server (trough smtp), which
>is for a domain listed in control/rcpthosts it's not allowed to do so :o(

You didn't supply a copy of the error message, but I suspect the
problem is that the domains listed in control/rcpthosts aren't also
listed in control/locals and/or you didn't restart qmail after
modifying locals.

-Dave

did you finish your tcp.smtp with :deny ???? Change it to :allow

Holger

At 10:07 15-2-00 -0500, you wrote:
>Cor Lem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>1) I've set up pop3, this all works fine
>>2) ip's listed in host.allow can send mail (through smtp - FAQ 5.4)
>>
>>Problem:
>>When someon tries do deliver mail to my server (trough smtp), which
>>is for a domain listed in control/rcpthosts it's not allowed to do so :o(
>
>You didn't supply a copy of the error message,

I don't get one. When I send it all works perfectly (since i've listed my
ip in
tcp-env hosts.allow)

Only I see in my logs the folowing line:
Feb 15 16:16:54 lizzard tcp-env[19430]: refused connect from 194.235.48.8

When I put this ip (temporarly) in hosts.allow I recieve a mail adressed to
user@mylocaldomain

>but I suspect the problem is that the domains listed in control/rcpthosts
>aren't also listed in control/locals and/or you didn't restart qmail after
>modifying locals.

I've checked, it is in locals and yes i did ...

Hope this makes it a bit clearer

Cor Lem

At 16:14 15-2-00 +0100, you wrote:
>did you finish your tcp.smtp with :deny ???? Change it to :allow
>
>Holger

Is that required when I use inet.d?

Cor Lem

You need to add a rule to hosts.allow that allows every host to connect to
your SMTP port but does not set RELAYCLIENT.

Your default is set to deny access which is NOT what you want. :)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Cor Lem wrote:

> At 10:07 15-2-00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Cor Lem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>1) I've set up pop3, this all works fine
> >>2) ip's listed in host.allow can send mail (through smtp - FAQ 5.4)
> >>
> >>Problem:
> >>When someon tries do deliver mail to my server (trough smtp), which
> >>is for a domain listed in control/rcpthosts it's not allowed to do so :o(
> >
> >You didn't supply a copy of the error message,
>
> I don't get one. When I send it all works perfectly (since i've listed my
> ip in
> tcp-env hosts.allow)
>
> Only I see in my logs the folowing line:
> Feb 15 16:16:54 lizzard tcp-env[19430]: refused connect from 194.235.48.8
>
> When I put this ip (temporarly) in hosts.allow I recieve a mail adressed to
> user@mylocaldomain
>
> >but I suspect the problem is that the domains listed in control/rcpthosts
> >aren't also listed in control/locals and/or you didn't restart qmail after
> >modifying locals.
>
> I've checked, it is in locals and yes i did ...
>
> Hope this makes it a bit clearer
>
> Cor Lem

---------------------------------
Timothy L. Mayo                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Administrator
localconnect(sm)
http://www.localconnect.net/

The National Business Network Inc.      http://www.nb.net/
One Monroeville Center, Suite 850
Monroeville, PA  15146
(412) 810-8888 Phone
(412) 810-8886 Fax

At 11:01 15-2-00 -0500, you wrote:
>You need to add a rule to hosts.allow that allows every host to connect to
>your SMTP port but does not set RELAYCLIENT.
>
>Your default is set to deny access which is NOT what you want. :)

That makes sense ...
I've added the folowing lines to my hosts.allow:

tcp-env: 192.168., 127.0.0.1: setenv = RELAYCLIENT
tcp-env: ALL

It works now :o)

Thanks for all the response,
Cor Lem

"Naren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Please could someone tell me how to unsubscribe from this list
>PLEASE.............
>I sent a blank message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] on ....
>But I still receive mail.... I have lost that address now....
>PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE..........
>My mailbox is overflooding

See:

-Dave

Is it possible to have the ezmlm-idx web archive on a seperate server
from the qmail/ezmlm server?

thanks,

angus

Have u changed to Maildir's in the /var/qmail/defaultdelivery/* files?
And have u created the Maildir directory using the command maildirmake /directory-to-create-in-user's-home?

I u want i can mail u my /qmail/var files in a tgz attach.

Please resapond with your email address if u r interested.

Have a nice day.

And good luck.

Byte.

Ing. José Rodríguez Alarcón
    De: jandj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Para: chupepe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Fecha: Lunes 14 de Febrero de 2000 10:30 PM

    I did install from rpm's but changed to Maildir's.