net@ncal verio com <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So I was in this situation for about three days, when this morning I
> found an error log being echoed to the console non-stop, every second.
> The error was:

> Feb 17 21:03:45 www kernel: scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun
> 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 26 6b 38 00 00 02 00
> Feb 17 21:03:45 www kernel: Current error sd08:05: sense key Medium
> Error
> Feb 17 21:03:45 www kernel: Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read
> error
> Feb 17 21:03:45 www kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:05, sector
> 2244648
> Feb 17 21:03:45 www kernel: EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,5)):
> ext2_write_inode: unable to read inode block - inode=280580, block=11223
> 24

[...]

> PS: I've run all sorts of checks on the hard drive for bad sectors, the
> filesystem tables always show the right info, etc. I don't think it's a
> hardware failure.

Well, that would be my immediate diagnosis from the above errors under any
circumstance; those are low-level SCSI read errors.  Unless something very
odd is going on, software can't do that.  It really does look like the
disk drive is failing.

My guess would be that qmail is putting additional stress on the file
system (something that it's rather good at), which is why the errors are
going away when you stop qmail.  If I'm right, it was coincidence (or
maybe touching some part of the disk that hadn't been touched before) that
it coincided with the daemontools installation.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>