"Peter Samuel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 24 Feb 2000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
>
> > Peter Samuel writes:
> > > Under certain conditions it can leave the queue in a corrupt state.
> >
> > No, it can't. See INTERNALS in the qmail package for the complete story.
>
> I _know_ what INTERNALS says Dan, but try this test and you'll see
> that it does leave the queue in a corrupt state...qmail-queue exits
> with a 91 and does NOT unlink the mess or intd file.

That doesn't mean that the queue is ``corrupted''. If todo/INODE exists,
the message is queued. If not, the message is not queued. Period. Qmail
returns success to the caller only if the message is queued.

Lots of failures can leave various files in the queue tree--INTERNALS
discusses that at great length (for Dan). If qmail-queue is killed in
state S3, both mess/INODE and intd/INODE will exist--but the message is
not queued.

That's what qmail-clean is for. It's called by qmail-send to clean up
any lint in the queue tree. Note, though, that this takes at least 36
hours. qmail-send doesn't delete younger files, because they might
represent a message presently being queued. It's all documented in
INTERNALS.

Len.

--
Shared libraries work wonders with hulking monoliths of code. Most
programs today are hulking monoliths of code.  A kluge whose value rests