I'm not in a position to give an informed opinion, but in terms of
bandwidth, one significant parameter is the average size of messages.
Most lists with "well-behaved" users tend to have an average msg size of
2-4k, but some others - especially those that allow binary attachments,
be it pictures, documentc, etc. - may go up to 20-30k or even more
depending on the 'tolerance' level.

I'd be interested to know what numbers you come up with!