qmail Digest 6 Mar 2000 11:00:00 -0000 Issue 932

Topics (messages 38222 through 38243):

remove
        38222 by: Jon Newman
        38239 by: B H R Balaji.

Slow SMTP
        38223 by: Michael Anderson
        38224 by: Chris Johnson
        38225 by: courtney.whtz.com
        38228 by: Michael Anderson
        38229 by: Ruben van der Leij
        38232 by: Michael Anderson
        38235 by: andy huhn
        38236 by: Markus Stumpf
        38237 by: Michael Anderson

regarding my qmail-pop3d problems
        38226 by: Vincent Danen
        38227 by: Vincent Danen

problems with qmail-pop3d (fwd)
        38230 by: Bob Rogers
        38238 by: Vincent Danen

Re: problems with qmail-pop3d
        38231 by: Stephen Mills

rcpthosts problem (and solution?)
        38233 by: Glenn Crownover

qpopper and ~username/Mailbox format
        38234 by: Kristina
        38243 by: Vince Vielhaber

Strange problems with tcpserver
        38240 by: Häffelin Holger
        38241 by: Anand Buddhdev

Re: Problems with adresses with hypens
        38242 by: Bernat Ginard

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

remove

SMTP is VERY slow responding to client requests.  It sits there for about
60 seconds before the server seems to take hold, the e-mail (even a 20K
one) shoots out like a rocket.  I'm using vpopmail and single user id with
this system.  Anyone know what the deal could be?  (BTW, the sendmail that
qmail replaces, which is running on a different machine, does the exact
same thing)  The sendmail system is a 6.1 Mandrake, and the Qmail unit is
7.0 Mandrake.  Both have had the X-Windows ripped out.  SMTP seems to be
the only service affected here.  I have concurrent connections for Qmail
set to 40 (not seeing even 10 of these guys...) so I'm not sure what the
problem is.  I need to get this thing figured out before everyone switches
to the new unit on Monday, if possible.
        TIA
          Michael

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 09:13:26AM -0700, Michael Anderson wrote:
> SMTP is VERY slow responding to client requests.  It sits there for about 60
> seconds before the server seems to take hold, the e-mail (even a 20K one)
> shoots out like a rocket.  I'm using vpopmail and single user id with this
> system.  Anyone know what the deal could be?  (BTW, the sendmail that qmail
> replaces, which is running on a different machine, does the exact same thing)
> The sendmail system is a 6.1 Mandrake, and the Qmail unit is 7.0 Mandrake.
> Both have had the X-Windows ripped out.  SMTP seems to be the only service
> affected here.  I have concurrent connections for Qmail set to 40 (not seeing
> even 10 of these guys...) so I'm not sure what the problem is.  I need to get
> this thing figured out before everyone switches to the new unit on Monday, if
> possible.

This is almost certainly a DNS or ident lookup problem. Try running tcpserver,
if you're using tcpserver, with -R and -H and maybe even -l0 (that's el-zero).
If you're not using tcpserver, use tcpserver.

Chris

check your DNS setup- if the Qmail box is having problems finding itself in
DNS then Qmail will react in the way you described.

bern

Bernie Courtney
Z100 New York Engineering
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks Chris.  Wonder what's going on with DNS, everything resolves fine
(quick too!), but under qmail, seems like the whole thing takes a nap.
Very strange!

And I am running tcpserver, lifes difficult enough! <G>
        Michael

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Chris Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 09:13:26AM -0700, Michael Anderson wrote:
> > SMTP is VERY slow responding to client requests.  It sits there for about 60
> > seconds before the server seems to take hold, the e-mail (even a 20K one)
> > shoots out like a rocket.  I'm using vpopmail and single user id with this
> > system.  Anyone know what the deal could be?  (BTW, the sendmail that qmail
> > replaces, which is running on a different machine, does the exact same thing)
> > The sendmail system is a 6.1 Mandrake, and the Qmail unit is 7.0 Mandrake.
> > Both have had the X-Windows ripped out.  SMTP seems to be the only service
> > affected here.  I have concurrent connections for Qmail set to 40 (not seeing
> > even 10 of these guys...) so I'm not sure what the problem is.  I need to get
> > this thing figured out before everyone switches to the new unit on Monday, if
> > possible.
>
> This is almost certainly a DNS or ident lookup problem. Try running tcpserver,
> if you're using tcpserver, with -R and -H and maybe even -l0 (that's el-zero).
> If you're not using tcpserver, use tcpserver.
>
> Chris

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 01:51:40PM -0700, Michael Anderson wrote:

[mail takes 60 seconds to send]

> Thanks Chris.  Wonder what's going on with DNS, everything resolves fine
> (quick too!), but under qmail, seems like the whole thing takes a nap.

In that case the problem *is* ident-lookups. You have an ident-daemon
running? It's not shielded by your firewall?

--

Ruben

Yeah, not sure why this keeps rearing up.  We're still in testing mode,
and only have about half the users entered, otherwise no changes for a
while.
        Michael

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Ruben van der Leij wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 01:51:40PM -0700, Michael Anderson wrote:
>
> [mail takes 60 seconds to send]
>
> > Thanks Chris.  Wonder what's going on with DNS, everything resolves fine
> > (quick too!), but under qmail, seems like the whole thing takes a nap.
>
> In that case the problem *is* ident-lookups. You have an ident-daemon
> running? It's not shielded by your firewall?
>
> --
>
> Ruben

What is the difference between ident-lookups and DNS?  And why would
either one affect incoming mail?  (I have a qmail box that has
consistently had trouble receiving mail from another mail server, even
though I am able to receive from most other mail servers without
problems.  Our DNS server has been unresponsive at times, and I'm
wondering if there may be a relationship).

TIA,
Andy Huhn

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 10:17:22PM -0500, andy huhn wrote:
> What is the difference between ident-lookups and DNS?  And why would
> either one affect incoming mail?

Ident lookups try to gather information about the userid at the other
end of an TCP connection using the (unreliable information of) ident protocol.

If the ident port is e.g. filtered by a firewall and this firewall is
set up incorrectly (as most are) and just drops the packets without
sending proper ICMP response messages you'll have to wait till the
connection times out (usually 60 seconds with tcpserver).
Thus SMTP connection to your SMTP-server will be delayed.

The same effect happens if you do reverse DNS lookups and your DNS
server doesn not respond quickly.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | up screaming and you

I'm in the same boat.  Just found out one of our users can't get to a
site, because the reverse DNS is not working.  Funny it works here, at
Microsoft, and other places, but does not work for this one site. Andy,
mail me off list with you OS and Distribution (if any).  Maybe we can
figure something out here... <Grin>
        Michael

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, andy huhn wrote:

> What is the difference between ident-lookups and DNS?  And why would
> either one affect incoming mail?  (I have a qmail box that has
> consistently had trouble receiving mail from another mail server, even
> though I am able to receive from most other mail servers without
> problems.  Our DNS server has been unresponsive at times, and I'm
> wondering if there may be a relationship).
>
> TIA,
> Andy Huhn

Regarding the qmail-pop3d problem I posted about yesterday, I looked in
the /var/log/qmail logfiles and I see this which might help someone track
down my problem perhaps:

delivery 20: deferral: Unable_to_chdir_to_maildir._(#4.2.1)/

Could this have something to do with my pop3 problem?  fetchmail is now
telling me:

this user has no $HOME/Maildir
Authorization failure on [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Query status=3

This pop3 thing is driving me mental!!!  This seems to be the only problem
I have with qmail right now... otherwise everything seems to work
fine.  Does anyone have any ideas at all for me?  Please?  I've gone thru
FAQs and HOWTO's and everything and I cannot find anything that might help
me to fix the problem...  this is getting very frustrating... =(  I've
changed the default delivery on the system to the Maildir format for every
user and it still will not work... =(

Thank you again in advance.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
Freezer Burn BBS:  telnet://bbs.freezer-burn.org . ICQ: 54924721

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Vincent Danen wrote:

> Regarding the qmail-pop3d problem I posted about yesterday, I looked in
> the /var/log/qmail logfiles and I see this which might help someone track
> down my problem perhaps:

No worries, I figured it out... it was the DNS lookup thingy in
qmail-pop3d.init that was causing the problem.  Put in my hostname
manually and it works like a champ now.  =)

   From: Vincent Danen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 23:16:58 -0700 (MST)

   Not sure if anyone got this, but as an update I re-created the Maildir's
   for all of my users.  I think I had originally done "maildirmake
   ~/Maildir" which might have been the problem... did it this time as
   "maildirmake $HOME/Maildir" and now when I connect with fetchmail it tells
   me it is unable to scan $HOME/Maildir as opposed to the other error
   message.  One step in the right direction, I think, but now I'm really
   stumped.  Why would it be unable to scan?

Let me ask a silly question: Does each owner own his/her ~/Maildir/
tree?

                                        -- Bob Rogers

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Bob Rogers wrote:

>    Not sure if anyone got this, but as an update I re-created the Maildir's
>    for all of my users.  I think I had originally done "maildirmake
>    ~/Maildir" which might have been the problem... did it this time as
>    "maildirmake $HOME/Maildir" and now when I connect with fetchmail it tells
>    me it is unable to scan $HOME/Maildir as opposed to the other error
>    message.  One step in the right direction, I think, but now I'm really
>    stumped.  Why would it be unable to scan?
>
> Let me ask a silly question: Does each owner own his/her ~/Maildir/
> tree?

Yup... the user's themselves ran maildirmake (ie. I su'd to the
user).  The problem was with that fqdn program that runs in
qmail-pop3d.init (I suppose to make sure your hostname is valid, not
sure).