Ah haaa... *penny drops*

> > What if the secondary receives a bunch of mail and then
> > the primary comes back up? Will users still be able to see the mail
> > that the secondary server received?
>
> After some while, yes. It may take some period for the secondary
> to realize that the primary is up and running. You may speed it up
> by running qmail-tcpok and ALRMing qmail-send on the secondary.

Okay -- what you're saying is that the secondary will pass on the mail to
the primary once it's back up?

*sound of gears grinding*

We put the primary in the rcpthosts of the secondary so that the secondary
will accept mail addressed to the primary, but we don't put it in
control/locals because we want to prevent the secondary from attempting to
deliver locally (which wouldn't work because we don't have users configured
locally, nor a delivery agent like POP3 or IMAP).

All right -- what's the mechanism by which this received mail is passed on
to the primary when it becomes operational again? Does this mail sit parked
in a mail queue? Which queue?

Always learning,

Stephen Bosch