On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 09:46:15AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> Well this doesn't seem to agree with what I'm seeing, the incorrectly
> addressed mail was sent to <someone>@enterprises.net, whereas it
> should have been sent to <someone>@enterprise.net and I was
> definitely getting the deferral message.  If you do an nslookup on
> enterprises.net it reurns "Non-existent host/domain".

Then nslookup is telling you something it has no way of knowing. Lookups of
enterprises.net time out; they don't return NXDOMAIN. The timeout is a
temporary error, and qmail has no way of knowing whether this condition will
last. According to the root servers, enterprises.net is supposed to exist, but
none of its listed name servers is answering questions about it. This is not
the same as a root server saying "there's no such domain," which would be a
permanent error and would cause qmail to bounce the message immediately.

Chris