Hi, have set up qmail on freebsd 3.4. When I run qmail-pop3d
through tcpserver, checking mail takes forever-- literally like 20
seconds for no messages. When I run qmail-pop3d through inetd, checking
mail is very fast-- under 1 second. What could be causing this huge
lag?

Another problem I have noticed is smtp seems really slow, no matter if I
run qmail-smtp via tcpserver or inetd. I am testing this by setting my
mail client smtp host IP to the machine running qmail and sending to a
user local to that machine. It seems to take 10-20 seconds for the message
to be accepted for delivery.

Is there some kind of tuning I do to increase performance? Could it be
some kind of DNS problem? I'll append the commands I am using to start
qmail:

In /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ I have 21qmail-smtpd.sh and 24qmail-send.sh.
24qmail-send.sh is a symlink to /var/qmail/rc

21qmail-smtpd.sh is:
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c 100 -u 1005 -g 1004 0\
          smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
          2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &

in /etc/inetd.conf there is (on one line)
pop3 stream tcp nowait root /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup qmail-popup \
xxxx.com\
/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

when previously I tried invoking pop3d with tcpserver, I used:
22qmail-pop3d.sh:

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup  \
     xxxx.com \
     /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

Thanks for any guidance on this. This is the first time I have set up
qmail-pop3d and qmail-smtpd.

// [EMAIL PROTECTED]
// Programmer, Panorama Point web development
// New Mexico, USA
// 505-424-4800x35