I've been going through the qmail archives and I noticed that this is a
common question, however I still can't make it work. That's the trouble with
newbies like me :-)
So, I've got RedHat 6.1, installed qmail (using Life with qmail), and
smtp-poplock.
Following the smtp-poplock INSTALL doc, I added the following lines to
/etc/inetd.conf and then I ran killall -HUP inetd
(the following is on one line)
smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /usr/sbin/tcpd /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
/usr/sbin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
(the following is on one line)
pop-3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup qmail-popup juara.com /usr/sbin/logpopauth-pre
/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

I tried all sorts of things but I keep getting this:
% telnet 127.0.0.1 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.