This is slightly off-topic, so I'm going to throw this into the ring
and interested parties should take it to private email.  It relates to the
discussion of RPM-izing dnscache.

        I've built a set of init scripts for redhat 6.1 (and presumably
other RH vers) that use daemontools through the RedHat initscripts
mechanism.

        Currently, I've got 'service', 'dnscache', and 'qmail.'  'service'
controls svscan in /service.  'dnscache' uses 'svc' to manipulate
/service/dnscache, which is a link to /etc/dnscache, as is the default
install using dnscache-conf.  'qmail' uses 'svc' to manipulate
/service/qmail-smtpd and /service/qmail-send, which are links to supervise
trees as described in Dave Sill's "Life with qmail."

        The idea is that when the system comes up, /etc/rc.d/init.d/service
gets called to get svscan/supervise up and running.  Once that's been done,
the /etc/rc.d/init.d/dnscache and /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail scripts can use
'svc' to control everything rather simply.

        I think it's a good balance between the default RedHat mechanism and
the way DJB-ware installs itself.  The dnscache installation is unchanged -
this merely wraps the svc usage inside the more familiar (for some) RedHat
version of SysV init scripts.

        The reason I'm posting this is because there's a lot of talk on the
dnscache list about wrapping dnscache in an RPM.  Qmail + dnscache (appear
to me to be) a great combination; this makes it easier to use them in
concert and to use daemontools to its best advantage, while keeping the SysV
init method of system control.  If someone is putting together a set of
RPMs, this might allow them to have a common control method.

        If anyone is interested in looking/playing with these, drop me a
line.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]