Kai MacTane writes:

> But I certainly don't think that including unsubscription instructions at
> the bottom of each post will have any effect on the density of unsubscribe
> requests.

I used to believe that, but experience has changed me. I include
unsubscribe information, along with the patch from Fred Lindberg that
places individualized unsubscribe information in the headers in one of
the mailing lists that originates here. At one point, someone
accidentally trashed text/trailer, so that unsubscribe info stopped
appearing. Since I don't read the list, the only way I found out about
this was that I suddenly started getting unsubscribe requests directed
to postmaster, staff, etc., etc., etc.

Replacing the file reduced the number of unsubscribe requests enough
that it makes keeping it there worthwhile.

sdb