[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Okay, I've read the docs and man pages, but still want to know if I Got
>It...
>
>First chain:
>       tcpserver | qmail-smptd | qmail-queue
>
>Second chain:
>       qmail-send | qmail-rspawn | qmail-local | splogger

Yeah, approximately.

>This means log1() (see qsutil.h) works anywhere in the second chain (because
>it gets piped to splogger), but not in the first chain (no splogger). Do I
>have this right?

qmail-send logs to standard output, which is fed to splogger. If
-rspawn or -local give errors, qmail-send logs them.

>How would I add qmail logging to the first chain (pre-qmail-send)?

tcpserver logs to standard output, but it doesn't log errors or output
from -smtpd or or -queue. If you want qmail-smtpd to log, you'll have
to patch it to do so, since it simply doesn't. And you'll have to call
syslog rather than write to standard output or standard error since
tcpserver doesn't pass them through for you.

What is it you want to log?

-Dave