On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Peter van Dijk wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 01:06:10PM +0000, S Ashok Kumar wrote:
> > RedHat 6.1 with qmail-1.03 and ucspi - 0.84.
> > qmail-smtpd is run by tcpserver and the -c value is 2000. But as soon as
> > it reaches 1247 sessions, it is not able to fork further processes, the
> > error message is:
> >
> > tcpserver: warning: dropping connection, unable to fork: temporary
> > failure
> >

> You are out of processes. A little tweaking with 'ulimit' might help, or
> perhaps you need to tune your kernel somewhere deeper.

For Linux, you need to increase NR_TASKS. Edit your
/usr/src/linux/includes/linux/tasks.h and recompile the kernel.

I've already bumped up NR_TASKS to 1024, then again to 2048. From the
comments in tasks.h, the limit for NR_TASKS is 4096 on intel, but I
haven't been able to get it to boot when set to 4096 (this is on
2.2.14, IIRC, so newer/development kernels may be different.)

HTH,
Brian
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]