"Ricardo D. Albano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm running a large site email server with qmail1.03 as inbound relay, the
>server works with a medium of 600 concurrent inbound connections and relay
>they to another host that makes the local delivery.
>
>All time I see the 'qmail-smtpd' and 'qmail-remote' processes to see if all
>is working well. qmail-remote mantains in a value of 20 procs. simultaneous,

Sounds like you should raise concurrencyremote, provided the other
host can handle it.

>but in a moment qmail-remote stop tunning, no more qmail-remote processes
>was lunched and my queue grow up every second.
>
>I see this error in the /var/log/maillog :
>
>delivery 18323: deferral:
>Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)
>
>repeated a lot of time.
>
>What can be the problem ?

>From your description of the configuration, there's only one system
that the qmail box ever tries to send to: the other local host that
does final delivery. That means that the failure to establish an SMTP
connection has to be a local problem: either some kind of network
outage between the two local systems, or a problem on the other local
system such as the MTA not responding

-Dave