qmail Digest 6 Apr 2000 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 963

Topics (messages 39555 through 39644):

Re: Still logging by syslog ?
        39555 by: Dave Sill
        39580 by: Irwan Hadi
        39585 by: Dave Sill
        39601 by: Mike Perks
        39604 by: Dave Sill

Virtualhost with Cname
        39556 by: Arisandy Arief
        39618 by: chuck

Re: Still problem with yahoo.com
        39557 by: Bryan White
        39577 by: Dave Sill
        39582 by: Peter van Dijk
        39583 by: Bryan White
        39586 by: Peter van Dijk
        39589 by: markd.bushwire.net
        39620 by: brianb-qmail.technet.evoserve.com
        39622 by: Markus Stumpf
        39628 by: Adam McKenna
        39629 by: Adam McKenna
        39630 by: Markus Stumpf
        39631 by: Adam McKenna

VPOP
        39558 by: Hemanta Sharma

Re: Is qmail suitable for a home user?
        39559 by: Dave Sill
        39560 by: Dave Sill
        39561 by: Dave Sill
        39576 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: qmail relay opened
        39562 by: Luis Bezerra
        39564 by: Len Budney
        39565 by: Dave Sill
        39566 by: Paul Schinder
        39574 by: Peter van Dijk
        39575 by: Ricardo Cerqueira

Re: My server STOP delivering mails
        39563 by: Dave Sill

Re: Relaying problem..
        39567 by: Soffen, Matthew

Re: network connection dies randomly?
        39568 by: Soffen, Matthew

qmailadmin-0.26g compile problem
        39569 by: Georgi Kupenov
        39584 by: iv0

ip-based relaying with vpopmail
        39570 by: Markus Fischer

Help with Qanalog
        39571 by: Cedric Revest

Re: qmail RPM that supports ldap?
        39572 by: Peter Green

ezmlm aliases using fastforward
        39573 by: Tomasz Antczak

vpopmail and fastforward
        39578 by: Russell P. Sutherland

EZMLM SETUP
        39579 by: Hemanta Sharma
        39581 by: markd.bushwire.net

identd - port 113
        39587 by: Ricardo D. Albano
        39588 by: Magnus Bodin

Re: network connection dies randomly? <-- system hacked, its not QMAIL!
        39590 by: John W. Lemons III
        39591 by: John Gonzalez/netMDC admin
        39592 by: markd.bushwire.net
        39600 by: John W. Lemons III
        39602 by: markd.bushwire.net
        39605 by: John W. Lemons III
        39606 by: Kai MacTane
        39608 by: John W. Lemons III
        39614 by: Charles Cazabon

qmail reciveing problems.
        39593 by: Nathan Kuriger
        39594 by: markd.bushwire.net
        39595 by: Nathan Kuriger
        39597 by: markd.bushwire.net
        39612 by: Nathan Kuriger

MAIL FROM && qmail question...
        39596 by: Christophe Lesur
        39598 by: markd.bushwire.net
        39599 by: Christophe Lesur
        39603 by: Uwe Ohse
        39607 by: Christophe Lesur

Re: Open Relay - Luis
        39609 by: Erwin Hoffmann

virtual domain woes, need help
        39610 by: rtandy.slowchip.com

logging under svscan
        39611 by: Greg Kopp
        39613 by: Russell P. Sutherland

Having CNAME lookup problem?
        39615 by: Bill Rogers

dumb ezmlm question
        39616 by: Joel Dudley
        39617 by: Erich Zigler
        39632 by: Bruno Wolff III

qmail and accounting
        39619 by: Markus Stumpf

virtual domains need help
        39621 by: denpetrov.home.com
        39623 by: Markus Stumpf

more virtual domains
        39624 by: bigkapusta.kapusta.com
        39625 by: Markus Stumpf

QMQPD question
        39626 by: Benjamin de los Angeles Jr.

slow mail
        39627 by: Vaz, Len

AOL rejecting sender?
        39633 by: Ben Beuchler
        39634 by: Peter van Dijk
        39635 by: Ben Beuchler

Mark another one up for Dan!
        39636 by: Glenn Crownover
        39638 by: Peter van Dijk

new HOWTO
        39637 by: Adam McKenna

qmail + procmail in initscripts
        39639 by: Puck
        39640 by: Peter van Dijk
        39641 by: Adam McKenna

maildir2mbox lost my mail?!
        39642 by: Tracy R Reed
        39644 by: Tracy R Reed

qmail-smtpd logging
        39643 by: Jan Stifter

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Irwan Hadi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Why on my server, qmail still logging the email traffic inbound and
>outbound by using syslogd. I have installed qmail by following at LWQ
>instructions, using multilog.

qmail can only log through syslog if you pipe output to splogger. The
LWQ instructions don't use splogger anywhere. Make sure your
/var/qmail/rc doesn't contain "| splogger".

-Dave

At 07:35 05/04/2000 -0400, Dave Sill wrote:
>Irwan Hadi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Why on my server, qmail still logging the email traffic inbound and
>>outbound by using syslogd. I have installed qmail by following at LWQ
>>instructions, using multilog.
>
>qmail can only log through syslog if you pipe output to splogger. The
>LWQ instructions don't use splogger anywhere. Make sure your
>/var/qmail/rc doesn't contain "| splogger".
but after following this command at /var/qmail/rc
#!/bin/sh

# Using stdout for logging
# Using control/defaultdelivery from qmail-local to deliver messages by default
exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start "`cat /var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery`"

qmail won't delivery any mail both inbound and outbound
so I change it again as usual
cp /var/qmail/boot/home /var/qmail/rc

how to solve the problem then ?

my /var/qmail/boot/home is
#!/bin/sh

# Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
# Using qmail-local to deliver messages to ~/Mailbox by default.

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail

>-Dave

-------
AFLHI 058009990407128029/089802---(102598//991024)

Irwan Hadi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>but after [LWQ] at /var/qmail/rc
>qmail won't delivery any mail both inbound and outbound
>
>so I change it again as usual
>cp /var/qmail/boot/home /var/qmail/rc
>
>how to solve the problem then ?

Well, you can either figure out where you botched the LWQ
installation, or you can switch from splogger to multilog manually.

I can assure that lots of people using the LWQ install *are* receiving
and sending mail, so if you follow it carefully, it will work.

-Dave

Hello

> Irwan Hadi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Why on my server, qmail still logging the email traffic inbound and
> >outbound by using syslogd. I have installed qmail by following at LWQ
> >instructions, using multilog.
>
> qmail can only log through syslog if you pipe output to splogger. The
> LWQ instructions don't use splogger anywhere. Make sure your
> /var/qmail/rc doesn't contain "| splogger".
>
> -Dave

I am running the older version of daemontools and I still ppe my output thru
splogger? I have been reading that the newer version uses the multilog..

Is there any advantage to this.. Is it better not to go thru syslogd??

Thanks in advance

Mike Perks
http://www.vanislenet.net

"Mike Perks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am running the older version of daemontools and I still ppe my output thru
>splogger? I have been reading that the newer version uses the multilog..
>
>Is there any advantage to this.. Is it better not to go thru syslogd??

Of course. If there was no advantage to multilog over syslog, Dan
wouldn't have bothered to write multilog, and I wouldn't have bothered
to use it in LWQ.

The problems with syslog are:

  security: syslog is a network service with no access control or
    authentication. It has been the subject of security advisories in
    the past.

  reliability: syslog throws messages away if runs out of disk
    space. It will happily fill up the entire filesystem it's logging
    to.

  efficiency: syslog is slow. On a busy mail server, syslog can use up
    more CPU that the MTA.

-Dave

I have host with www.domain.com  ,one.domain.com, two.domain.com etc
host one and two is a CNAME record from www.domain.com
can I have @one.domain.com and @two.domain.com as separate
virtualhost...from @www.domain.com
I use Qmail-1.03+Vpopmail-3.4.11-released...

If I add it using vadddomain there is bounce message something like:
Remote host said: 554 too many hops, this message is looping (#5.4.6)

thanks

Arisandy,

        If your using the virtual domain "host1.bogus.com", and the computer
"host1.bogus.com" really exists, make sure it isn't in your
"./control/locals" file or qmail may try to forward mail to this computer,
which then forwards it back to the server for "bogus.com" creating a loop...

Charles Werbick
Network Administrator
The Wirehouse
501 East Kiowa Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80903

I use Qmail-1.03+Vpopmail-3.4.11-released...

If I add it using vadddomain there is bounce message something like:
Remote host said: 554 too many hops, this message is looping (#5.4.6)

thanks

> In what way are you "struggling"? Sure there may be plenty of emails in
your queue,
> but is it really hurting? Or do you just not like that idea of
qmail-remote failing
> and seeing the corresponding log entry? Remote delivery is very cheap with
qmail so
> you don't need to be too concerned unless the yahoo mail is consuming all
of your
> concurrencyremote. If it's not, then you can sleep soundly as it's no big
deal.

We run some rather large opt-in email 'ezines'.  Throughput matters.  The
more remotes sitting waiting on yahoo the less there are to handle the rest.
This morning I have 6 boxes each sitting pegged at 250 remotes.  My total
throughput is typically about 300,000 per hour.  Yesterday morning it was
140,000 per hour.  It is somewhat better this morning (about 180,000 per
hour).

"Bryan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We run some rather large opt-in email 'ezines'.  Throughput matters.  The
>more remotes sitting waiting on yahoo the less there are to handle the rest.
>This morning I have 6 boxes each sitting pegged at 250 remotes.  My total
>throughput is typically about 300,000 per hour.  Yesterday morning it was
>140,000 per hour.  It is somewhat better this morning (about 180,000 per
>hour).

Well, you can always run more qmail-remotes.

But I'm curious why yahoo is consuming qmail-remotes. If connections
to yahoo.com are timing out, the tcpto mechanism should keep
qmail-remote from trying to connect. (See "man qmail-tcpto".) But if
connections are succeeding, the messages should either be delivered or
deferred. Either way, I don't see why large numbers of qmail-remotes
would be trying to send to yahoo.com for extended periods.

-Dave

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 11:09:02AM -0400, Dave Sill wrote:
[snip]

> But I'm curious why yahoo is consuming qmail-remotes. If connections
> to yahoo.com are timing out, the tcpto mechanism should keep
> qmail-remote from trying to connect. (See "man qmail-tcpto".) But if
> connections are succeeding, the messages should either be delivered or
> deferred. Either way, I don't see why large numbers of qmail-remotes
> would be trying to send to yahoo.com for extended periods.

Connections to yahoo.com are accepted, then dropped. qmail does not report
this as a time out, but a 'Connection dropped' [don't know the exact
wording right now].

So, qmail will keep trying to deliver.

We should ask yahoo to either fix their mailhubs or break them more
thoroughly :)

Greetz, Peter.
--
Peter van Dijk - student/sysadmin/ircoper/madly in love/pretending coder

| 'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot;
|  C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off.'
|                             Bjarne Stroustrup, Inventor of C++

> Well, you can always run more qmail-remotes.

I thought that 250 was the limit.  It had something to do with number of
currentl remotes being passed in an 8 bit value between two programs.  Has
this changed?

> But I'm curious why yahoo is consuming qmail-remotes. If connections
> to yahoo.com are timing out, the tcpto mechanism should keep
> qmail-remote from trying to connect. (See "man qmail-tcpto".) But if
> connections are succeeding, the messages should either be delivered or
> deferred. Either way, I don't see why large numbers of qmail-remotes
> would be trying to send to yahoo.com for extended periods.

I just took a snapshot of one of my servers.  Of 245 qmail-remotes 160
ofthem are for yahoo.com.

Here is what I see as yahoo.com MX records in DNS:
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.68.214
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.23.231
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.68.157
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.68.208
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.23.247
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.68.87
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.23.246
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.68.216
mx2.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.68.144
mx2.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.23.226
mx2.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.68.215
mx2.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.23.224
mx2.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.23.198
mx2.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.68.96
mx2.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.68.224
mx2.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 128.11.23.231
NS3.EUROPE.yahoo.com    internet address = 194.237.108.51
NS1.yahoo.com   internet address = 204.71.200.33
NS2.DCA.yahoo.com       internet address = 209.143.200.34
NS5.DCX.yahoo.com       internet address = 216.32.74.10

running 'qmail-tcpto | grep 128.11' produces:
128.11.22.89 timed out 946 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 2
128.11.68.225 timed out 425 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.68.96 timed out 35 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.68.213 timed out 335 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 2
128.11.22.90 timed out 1066 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 2
128.11.68.216 timed out 0 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.68.214 timed out 2 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.23.229 timed out 395 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.68.209 timed out 326 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.23.247 timed out 0 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.23.231 timed out 17 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.68.87 timed out 9 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.68.224 timed out 22 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.23.224 timed out 78 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.23.246 timed out 1118 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 2
128.11.23.198 timed out 20 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.68.144 timed out 41 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1
128.11.68.157 timed out 16 seconds ago; # recent timeouts: 1

This all seems reasonable except the 160 remotes connected to yahoo.com.

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 11:53:25AM -0400, Bryan White wrote:
> > Well, you can always run more qmail-remotes.
>
> I thought that 250 was the limit.  It had something to do with number of
> currentl remotes being passed in an 8 bit value between two programs.  Has
> this changed?

There is a very nice patch, written by somebody at SuSE, on www.qmail.org.
It works quite nicely.

[snip]

> I just took a snapshot of one of my servers.  Of 245 qmail-remotes 160
> ofthem are for yahoo.com.

Yuck.

> Here is what I see as yahoo.com MX records in DNS:
[snip lots of 128.11.[23/68].*]

[snip timeouts]

> This all seems reasonable except the 160 remotes connected to yahoo.com.

Yeah, a little test earlier today showed me that at least one of their
hosts accepted a connection and then dropped it, which means qmail _will_
retry.

Greetz, Peter.
--

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 08:15:24AM -0400, Bryan White wrote:
> > In what way are you "struggling"? Sure there may be plenty of emails in
> your queue,
> > but is it really hurting? Or do you just not like that idea of
> qmail-remote failing
> > and seeing the corresponding log entry? Remote delivery is very cheap with
> qmail so
> > you don't need to be too concerned unless the yahoo mail is consuming all
> of your
> > concurrencyremote. If it's not, then you can sleep soundly as it's no big
> deal.
>
> We run some rather large opt-in email 'ezines'.  Throughput matters.  The
> more remotes sitting waiting on yahoo the less there are to handle the rest.
> This morning I have 6 boxes each sitting pegged at 250 remotes.  My total
> throughput is typically about 300,000 per hour.  Yesterday morning it was
> 140,000 per hour.  It is somewhat better this morning (about 180,000 per
> hour).

Well, that's more of a problem. The only *easy* solution is to force the
timeout values on the MX addresses in tcpto. I think that someone once posted
some perl or a program to do this.

Or, as I suggested earlier, put a bogus smtproutes entry in there that forces
qmail-remote to write a tcpto value on your behalf.

What both of these solutions mean though is that no attempts will be made to send
to yahoo.com

An alternative strategy is to create an instance of qmail that just deals with
yahoo.com
and have all the other systems smtproute to it.

Regards.

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 10:47:59PM -0400, Bryan White wrote:
> >

> > > Neither of yahoo.com's mail exchangers is answering right now. It's not
> > your
> > > problem. Don't worry about it.
> >
> > Any idea how long till they will be back up?  Is there someplace to find
> > this information.  I have been struggling with mails queues clogged with
> > messages for yahoo.com all day.  I am on the virge of rejecting new messages
> > to the yahoo domain.
>
> In what way are you "struggling"? Sure there may be plenty of emails in your queue,
> but is it really hurting?

I can't speak for anyone else, but In my case, yes I am hurting. We
maxed at 10k queued messages this morning, and it's eating up the
concurrencyremote.

Mail that's NOT for yahoo.com also gets stuck for several hours as
well.

> Or do you just not like that idea of qmail-remote failing
> and seeing the corresponding log entry? Remote delivery is very cheap with qmail so
> you don't need to be too concerned unless the yahoo mail is consuming all of your
> concurrencyremote. If it's not, then you can sleep soundly as it's no big deal.

Brian
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.baquiran.com

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 10:10:01AM +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I can't speak for anyone else, but In my case, yes I am hurting. We
> maxed at 10k queued messages this morning, and it's eating up the
> concurrencyremote.
>
> Mail that's NOT for yahoo.com also gets stuck for several hours as
> well.

If you have a machine that could act as a "data storage" you might want
to do this:

If this machine "datastor.example.com" has qmail running, add to
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
    yahoo.com
    .yahoo.com
and (has the same problems as it has the same MX)
    yahoo.de
    .yahoo.de

Then add lines to /var/qmail/control/virtualhosts
    yahoo.com:yahoo.com
    .yahoo.com:yahoo.com
    yahoo.de:yahoo.com
    .yahoo.de:yahoo.com

and to /var/qmail/users/assign
    +yahoo.com-:dsmtp:UID:GID:/var/datastor/serialmail/yahoo.com:-::

If you don't have a /var/qmail/users/assign don't forget to add a line
with a "." (dot) as the last line of this file.

    # mkdir -p /var/datastor/serialmail/yahoo.com
    # echo './Maildir/' > /var/datastor/serialmail/yahoo.com/.qmail-default
    # /var/qmail/bin/maildirmake /var/datastor/serialmail/yahoo.com/Maildir
    # chmod -R go-w /var/datastor/serialmail/yahoo.com
    # chown -R UID:GID /var/datastor/serialmail/yahoo.com

After that do

    # /var/qmail/bin/qmail-newu
    # kill -HUP <pid of qmail-send>

The first line creates a new cdb from users/assign the second line
causes qmail-send to reread control/virtualdomains.

Now datastor.example.com should be ready to take all the emails for
yahoo.com (and yahoo.de) and store them into a Maildir from where you
can send it on later, when the yahoo mailservers are functional again
via the serialmail package.

Now on your mailserver add lines to /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
    yahoo.com:datastor.example.com
    .yahoo.com:datastor.example.com
    yahoo.de:datastor.example.com
    .yahoo.de:datastor.example.com

This causes qmail to bypass MX delivery and use "datastor.example.com"
as a relay for the yahoo domains.

This should help you get rid of the yahoo mails in your queue. If you
want to speed this up, you do a
    # kill -ALRM <pid of qmail-send>
on your mailserver.

Of course you can configure this on your mailserver as well (without using
a datastor.examaple.com") and loop all the mails one internal hop.
In that case on your mailserver add lines to /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
    yahoo.com:mailserver.example.com
    .yahoo.com:mailserver.example.com
    yahoo.de:mailserver.example.com
    .yahoo.de:mailserver.example.com

No guarantee for correctness or missing typos ;-))
but thats a way it should work.

HTH,
        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | up screaming and you

That all sounds a little too complicated..

Why not just add:

yahoo.com:a.b.c.d
.yahoo.com:a.b.c.d

Where a.b.c.d is the IP addy of the "data storage" box,

and add yahoo.com/.yahoo.com to rcpthosts on the "data storage" box.

All of the yahoo mail will funnel over to the other box, allowing your main
server to take a breather.

--Adam

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 11:12:57PM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> That all sounds a little too complicated..
>
> Why not just add:
>
> yahoo.com:a.b.c.d
> .yahoo.com:a.b.c.d

(to control/smtproutes)

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 11:16:30PM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 11:12:57PM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > That all sounds a little too complicated..
> >
> > Why not just add:
> >
> > yahoo.com:a.b.c.d
> > .yahoo.com:a.b.c.d
>
> (to control/smtproutes)

Hmmm ... shouldn't that be
   yahoo.com:[a.b.c.d]
   .yahoo.com:[a.b.c.d]
when using IP addresses?

> > All of the yahoo mail will funnel over to the other box, allowing your main
> > server to take a breather.

You're of course right.
But then you have 10000 eMails sitting in the queue there, eating up
CPU time, wasting (not too much of course) bandwidth and slowing down
possible other deliveries on that machine.

Putting them in a Maildir takes them out of everyones way (ok, poor amanda
may have a bit more work to do ;-) You can even burn them on CD and send
them to yahoo for local injection, like they made/sent tapes in the good old
BITNET days in times the transatlantic link was down for some time ;-)

        \Maex

--

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 05:34:22AM +0200, Markus Stumpf wrote:
> Hmmm ... shouldn't that be
>    yahoo.com:[a.b.c.d]
>    .yahoo.com:[a.b.c.d]
> when using IP addresses?

Either way works.

--Adam

Hi,

I heard that I can create POP accounts using a program vpop, pls could
anyone tell me where to get it from?

Hemanta

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>The first problem arises when I have to tell qmail my FQDN. I
>connect to the Internet through my ISP, which assigns me a
>different dynamic IP address every time. My hostname is precious,
>so what should my FQDN be?

Just make something up. I use hostname.lastname, which would be
precious.galletti.

>I played aroung with different FQDN values and found that
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] seems to work.

That's an e-mail address, not an FQDN.

>But when I try to
>send an email locally, I get different error messages saying
>something about one of qmail's daemons not being able to chdir to
>the mail directory.

We'll need to see the exact error message to provide detailed help.

>I've created mailboxes for root

See:

  http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#root-delivery

>and my username
>with the utility included with qmail. Do I have to change the
>directory permissions?

No.

>I've read all the qmail docs I could find, and so far they seem to be
>oriented to big systems.

"Life with qmail" is *not* oriented to big systems. It's *suitable*
for big systems, but I also use the LWQ installation on my 60 MHz
Pentium mailhub at home.

>Should I use qmail?

Only you can answer that question. *Can* you use qmail? Yes. Can qmail
do a good job? Yes. Would I recommend it over sendmail? Yes. Should
everyone use it? No.

>My laptop is not connected to a network, and it only has one user.

If it's never connected to a network, there's not much need for an
MTA...but, of course, qmail can run on a standalone box.

>Has anyone
>successfully configured qmail for this particular kind of system?

The closest I've come to that is a two-system Y2K testbed we set
up. It had no nameserver, and both systems delivered everything
locally.

-Dave

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I have a similar needs & configuration, though I'm connected through
>mediaone.net via a cable modem.  When they hooked me up, they assigned
>the name "h0050da615e79.ne.mediaone.net", based on the ether address.
>They arrange to have that name resolve to my DHCP-assigned IP address,
>so that is what I've arranged "hostname" to return, ugly as it is.  This
>way mailing lists (qmail in particular) can dump mail into my SMTP port,
>and I can use the full power of .qmail files for the envelope address,
>without having to go through the tiny little pipe, i.e. one subscriber
>address, provided by MediaOne.

I connect via a 28.8K modem and don't have a static IP address. My
local network uses the "sill" domain, e.g., sparge.sill, which is my
mailhub. I use the free dynamic DNS service at http://www.dyndns.org
to assign the FQDN sill.dyndns.org to my dynamic IP address. Outgoing
mail comes from either sill.dyndns.org or sill.org, never from a
*.sill domain.

The dyndns.org service has been very reliable for me, but if you want
to pay for the service, there are commercial providers like dyndns.com
(which I've never tried and can't vouch for).

-Dave

Manfred Bartz  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If you have only one computer and all you want is to access a pop3
>account at your ISP then you don't need any MTA (qmail or other).

You need *something* accessible via /usr/lib/sendmail or
/usr/sbin/sendmail to deliver local mail if you want to see cron job
errors and other system mail. I don't know if nullmailer does this,
but you wouldn't want mail to your local box's root to go to root on
your ISP's mailhub.

-Dave

Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Manfred Bartz  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >If you have only one computer and all you want is to access a pop3
> >account at your ISP then you don't need any MTA (qmail or other).

> You need *something* accessible via /usr/lib/sendmail or
> /usr/sbin/sendmail to deliver local mail if you want to see cron job
> errors and other system mail. I don't know if nullmailer does this,
> but you wouldn't want mail to your local box's root to go to root on
> your ISP's mailhub.

Yes, nullmailer handles this.

Charles

Peter Pan, I not want your opinion. I want one solution

Peter van Dijk wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 04:10:40PM -0300, Luis Bezerra wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >

> > my qmail MTA is accepting mails like
> >

> > test%test.com.br
> >
> > anyone has one patch for resolve this problem?
>
> Unless you did something wrong, it is not delivering these mails.
>
> It is therefore not a problem.
>
> Greetz, Peter.
> --
> Peter van Dijk - student/sysadmin/ircoper/madly in love/pretending coder
> |
> | 'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot;
> |  C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off.'
> |                             Bjarne Stroustrup, Inventor of C++

--
-----------------------------
Luís Bezerra de A. Junior

Luis Bezerra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter Pan...

Luis Bizarre, please get it right. His name is Peter van Dijk.

> I not want your opinion. I want one solution

Than ask the question intelligently. Don't just say ``my qmail MTA is
accepting mails...''

  1. Provide a transcript of the SMTP conversation with your qmail host.
  2. Provide everything in your qmail logs relating to that conversation.

You will no doubt see something like the following:

  ...starting delivery 17: msg 4025 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  ...delivery 17: failure: Sorry,_no_mailbox_here_by_that_name._(#5.1.1)/

As Peter said,

> > Unless you did something wrong, it is not delivering these mails.
> > It is therefore not a problem.

He knows what he's talking about. Now apologize to the nice man for
your rudeness.

Len.

--
Remember that most encryption in this world does not take place inside
a Pentium, but on a smart card or other 8-bit processor.  Key bits are

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Peter Pan, I not want your opinion. I want one solution

How rude and immature. Do you think people are going to jump to help
you after that?

-Dave

At 9:53 AM -0300 4/5/00, Luis Bezerra wrote:
>Peter Pan, I not want your opinion. I want one solution

He told you the truth.  It should not be delivering these mails,
unless you've misconfigured qmail.  Therefore, it's not a relay.
Therefore, there is no "qmail relay opened".   A relay is a machine
that accepts mail from off site third parties and *delivers it* to
off site third parties.

You want a solution?  Block all connections from the IP of the
machine that tries the relay.  (This is one of those brain damaged
"spam tests", right?).  This has showed up in this list many times,
and you should go through the list archives.

>Peter van Dijk wrote:
>
>>  On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 04:10:40PM -0300, Luis Bezerra wrote:
>>  > Hello everyone,
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > my qmail MTA is accepting mails like
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > test%test.com.br
>>  >
>>  > anyone has one patch for resolve this problem?
>>
>>  Unless you did something wrong, it is not delivering these mails.
>>
>>  It is therefore not a problem.
>>
>>  Greetz, Peter.
>>  --
>>  Peter van Dijk - student/sysadmin/ircoper/madly in love/pretending coder
>>  | 'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot;
>>  |  C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off.'
>>  |                             Bjarne Stroustrup, Inventor of C++
>
>--
>-----------------------------
>Luís Bezerra de A. Junior
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>SecrelNet Informática LTDA
>Fortaleza - Ceará - Brasil
>Fone: 021852882090
>-----------------------------

Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 693
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 09:05:19AM -0400, Paul Schinder wrote:
> At 9:53 AM -0300 4/5/00, Luis Bezerra wrote:
> >Peter Pan, I not want your opinion. I want one solution
>
> He told you the truth.  It should not be delivering these mails,
> unless you've misconfigured qmail.  Therefore, it's not a relay.
> Therefore, there is no "qmail relay opened".   A relay is a machine
> that accepts mail from off site third parties and *delivers it* to
> off site third parties.
>
> You want a solution?  Block all connections from the IP of the
> machine that tries the relay.  (This is one of those brain damaged
> "spam tests", right?).  This has showed up in this list many times,
> and you should go through the list archives.

I wouldn't do that, blocking ORBS is one of the two ways to get in their
list.

Greetz, Peter.
--

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 09:06:31AM -0400, Len Budney wrote:
> Luis Bezerra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Peter Pan...
>
> Luis Bizarre, please get it right. His name is Peter van Dijk.

Cute "typo" :-)

> > I not want your opinion. I want one solution
>
> Than ask the question intelligently. Don't just say ``my qmail MTA is
> accepting mails...''
>
>   1. Provide a transcript of the SMTP conversation with your qmail host.
>   2. Provide everything in your qmail logs relating to that conversation.
>
> You will no doubt see something like the following:
>
>   ...starting delivery 17: msg 4025 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   ...delivery 17: failure: Sorry,_no_mailbox_here_by_that_name._(#5.1.1)/

Which means... If the mail is accepted but NOT delivered (and therefor bounced some
time later), there is NO open relay problem.

> As Peter said,
>
> > > Unless you did something wrong, it is not delivering these mails.
> > > It is therefore not a problem.
>
> He knows what he's talking about. Now apologize to the nice man for
> your rudeness.

(portuguese gibberish follows)
De portugues pra brasileiro... Armaste merda... insultar as pessoas mais prestaveis
desta lista e' uma pessima ideia.

                                        Best regards;
                                                Ricardo

--
+-------------------

"Ricardo D. Albano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm running a large site email server with qmail1.03 as inbound relay, the
>server works with a medium of 600 concurrent inbound connections and relay
>they to another host that makes the local delivery.
>
>All time I see the 'qmail-smtpd' and 'qmail-remote' processes to see if all
>is working well. qmail-remote mantains in a value of 20 procs. simultaneous,

Sounds like you should raise concurrencyremote, provided the other
host can handle it.

>but in a moment qmail-remote stop tunning, no more qmail-remote processes
>was lunched and my queue grow up every second.
>
>I see this error in the /var/log/maillog :
>
>delivery 18323: deferral:
>Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)
>
>repeated a lot of time.
>
>What can be the problem ?

>From your description of the configuration, there's only one system
that the qmail box ever tries to send to: the other local host that
does final delivery. That means that the failure to establish an SMTP
connection has to be a local problem: either some kind of network
outage between the two local systems, or a problem on the other local
system such as the MTA not responding

-Dave

Now for the obvious question, what does your /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
file look like ?  Is beachassociates.com in it ?  Is it a virtual server (if
so, is it in /var/qmail/control/virtualservers and NOT in
/var/qmail/control/locals) or is it a local domain ?

Matt Soffen
        Web Intranet Developer
        http://www.iso-ne.com/
Boss    - "My boss says we need some eunuch programmers."
Dilbert - "I think he means UNIX and I already know UNIX."
Boss    - "Well, if the company nurse comes by, tell her I said
             never mind."
                                       - Dilbert -

Your default route may be munged.

Verify that you DO have a default route defined (i.e.. the DSL modem).

Matt Soffen
        Web Intranet Developer
        http://www.iso-ne.com/
Boss    - "My boss says we need some eunuch programmers."
Dilbert - "I think he means UNIX and I already know UNIX."
Boss    - "Well, if the company nurse comes by, tell her I said
             never mind."
                                       - Dilbert -

qmail-1.03
vpopmail-3.4.11-1.released

myhost:/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g# make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g'
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c qmailadmin.c
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c alias.c
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c autorespond.c
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c forward.c
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c mailinglist.c
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c sysadmin.c
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c user.c
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c util.c
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c auth.c
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c template.c
gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c command.c
command.c:32: vpopmail_config.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [command.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
myhost:/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g#

What the problem is?

Georgi Kupenov wrote:

> qmail-1.03
> vpopmail-3.4.11-1.released
>
> myhost:/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g# make
> make  all-recursive
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g'
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c qmailadmin.c
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c alias.c
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c autorespond.c
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c forward.c
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c mailinglist.c
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c sysadmin.c
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c user.c
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c util.c
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c auth.c
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c template.c
> gcc -I. -I/home/popusers/include     -g -O2 -c command.c
> command.c:32: vpopmail_config.h: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [command.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
> myhost:/home/jkk/qmailadmin-0.26g#
>
> What the problem is?

cp ~vpopmail/include/config.h ~vpopmail/include/vpopmail_config.h

--
Ken Jones
http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail/

Hello,

I'm runing latest stable vpopmail and I enabled roaming smtp on
running ./configure . But it doesn't seem to work.

When a user authenticates on the pop3d and then tries to send
mail via smtp he always gets relaying denied.

My qmail-smtpd lines looks like this (from debian):
        ulimit -v 4096
        sh -c "start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --user qmaild \
            --exec /usr/bin/tcpserver -- \
            -u qmaild -g 65534 -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb 0 smtp \
            /usr/sbin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | $logger -t qmail -p mail.notice &"

and the pop3d:

        sh -c "/usr/bin/tcpserver -g1002 -u1002 \
            0 pop3 /usr/sbin/qmail-popup `hostname`.`dnsdomainname` \
            /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /usr/sbin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &"

AFAIk the file /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb should be moodified because
thats it where tcpserver reads the realyclients information. But
when doing ls -l /etc/tcp* I see that the current /etc/tcp.smtp*
is not modified in any way (nor the .cdb file, I'm looking and
the modfied time stamp).

Do I need some special suid/sgid program to archieve this ? Or am
I doing something wrong in the init-startup scripts ?

If anyone needs more configuration information I can paste
everything you want.

A sidequestion: is /etc/tcp.smtp* really sufficient to rellay for
qmail ? don't i need some entry in /var/qmail/control/* ?

And .. Is this line sufficient for /etc/tcp.smtp ?
root@host1:/etc# cat /etc/tcp.smtp
127.0.0.1:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
193.53.80.108:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""

whereas 193.53.80.108 is (pop|smtp|ns1).atplus.net, the
mailserver/

thanks for everyone spending time reading this,
        Markus

--
Markus Fischer,  http://josefine.ben.tuwien.ac.at/~mfischer/
EMail:         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi there,

Can anyone give me a good url for some help on how to use qanalog ??

Thank you in advance

Regards

Cedric

Cedric Revest
Britnet Ltd
http://www.britnet.co.uk/

Direct Line: 0208 962 9542
Fax: 0208 964 8457

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 04:02:04PM -0500, Chris Garrigues wrote:
> I'm in the process of migrating towards LDAP.  I just discovered (the hard
> way) that the pop3 daemon that I'm using (from the qmail-1.03-11ucspi RPM)
> doesn't see users who only exist in LDAP.  So, since I eventually want to
> switch to a qmail with the LDAP patches, I guess it's time to ask if anybody's
> got an RPM with the LDAP patches.  If not, (since I need an RPM based
> solution), which SRPM would be the best April 2000 starting point to add LDAP
> patches to?

I can't answer the first question, but I can say that I've had great success
with Bruce Guenter's (sp?) qmail SRPMS. Check out <http://em.ca/~bruceg/>
and it's somewhere under qmail+patches or something... :)

/pg
--
Peter Green
Gospel Communications Network, SysAdmin

Hello, I have small problem. I using qmail with fastforward+ezmlm, but
ezmlm create alias files for mailing list in old style:

.qmail-mylist
.qmail-mylist-default
.qmail-mylist-digest-owner
.qmail-mylist-digest-return-default
.qmail-mylist-owner
.qmail-mylist-return-default

i wan't use only /etc/aliases file. What I must write in /etc/aliases for
using ezmlm mailing list named mylist.

Tom

I am currently moving a large "default" email domain
to a vpopmail virtual domain. All of the bits and pieces
are completed except moving all the local aliases.

At present I am using fastforward in /var/qmail/alias/qmail-default:

        | fastforward -d  /etc/aliases.cdb

I have hundreds of aliases and have found fastforward a convenient way
of managing them (rather than hundreds of .qmail-name files). Can the
fastforward tool be used easily with vpopmail. It would be nice to have
the option of one aliases file per vdomain.

Any one had any experience with this?

--
Quist Consulting                Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
219 Donlea Drive                Voice: +1.416.696.7600

Hi,

I have a setup such that <anything>@abc.com is forwared to the account
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Now as I setup ezmlm for [EMAIL PROTECTED] and have
subscribed my hotmail add in it. Now to test it if I send email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] then instead of mails going to my hotmail account, all
the mails are forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Could I'm using qmail1.03,
ezmlm0.53 and ezmlm-idx0.534. Pls help

Thkx in advance!!

Hemanta

P.S: ezmlm and qmail subscribers sorry for sending two mails!!

I see the problem. abc.com is MXed to disney.com is that what you wanted?

I think you should change that to point to your system, then everything
will work just fine.

Regards.

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 08:56:50PM +0530, Hemanta Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a setup such that <anything>@abc.com is forwared to the account
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Now as I setup ezmlm for [EMAIL PROTECTED] and have
> subscribed my hotmail add in it. Now to test it if I send email to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] then instead of mails going to my hotmail account, all
> the mails are forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Could I'm using qmail1.03,
> ezmlm0.53 and ezmlm-idx0.534. Pls help
>
> Thkx in advance!!
>
> Hemanta
>
> P.S: ezmlm and qmail subscribers sorry for sending two mails!!

I'm seeing that my qmail smtp when accept an inbound smtp connectio tryes to
make an identd connection to the remote smtp, I see this with a netstat -n

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      1 200.45.0.21:1049        216.33.236.156:113      SYN_SENT
tcp        0      0 200.45.0.21:25          216.33.236.156:2333
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      1 200.45.0.21:1048        200.246.227.2:113       SYN_SENT
tcp        0      1 200.45.0.21:1047        200.16.211.174:113      SYN_SENT
tcp        0      0 200.45.0.21:25          200.16.211.174:16986
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 200.45.0.21:25          200.246.227.2:36161
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      1 200.45.0.21:1043        216.33.237.248:113      SYN_SENT
tcp        0      0 200.45.0.21:25          216.33.237.248:2046
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      1 200.45.0.21:1042        208.44.4.8:113          SYN_SENT
tcp        0      0 200.45.0.21:25          208.44.4.8:4445
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 200.45.0.21:25          200.41.14.210:4603
ESTABLISHED

How can disable this feature ?

RDA.-

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 02:46:25PM -0300, Ricardo D. Albano wrote:

> I'm seeing that my qmail smtp when accept an inbound smtp connectio tryes to
> make an identd connection to the remote smtp, I see this with a netstat -n
>
> How can disable this feature ?

I presume

Use tcpserver with -R

see also tcpserver(1), i.e. "man tcpserver".

If you dont need paranoia, throw in an -H as well.

/magnus
--
USELESS --->  http://x42.com/

Thanks to all that have replied, but I think I've found the culprit.
I've been hacked using a "known" BIND weakness.  (Unknown to me!)
So, any way, I'll be cleaning up that mess this afternoon.  :/

Anyone know if its safe to just verify/re-install the RPMs from CD, or
should I wipe it and start over?

Unfortunately, plugging every hole can be more difficult then starting
over. Plus, you'll always wonder.

It's best to just start clean, and dont plug in the network until you get
every hole patched.

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, John W. Lemons III wrote:

>Thanks to all that have replied, but I think I've found the culprit.
>I've been hacked using a "known" BIND weakness.  (Unknown to me!)
>So, any way, I'll be cleaning up that mess this afternoon.  :/
>
>Anyone know if its safe to just verify/re-install the RPMs from CD, or
>should I wipe it and start over?

  _    __   _____      __   _________
______________  /_______ ___  ____  /______  John Gonzalez/Net.Tech
__  __ \ __ \  __/_  __ `__ \/ __  /_  ___/ MDC Computers/netMDC!
_  / / / `__/ /_  / / / / / / /_/ / / /__ (505)437-7600/fax-437-3052
/_/ /_/\___/\__/ /_/ /_/ /_/\__,_/  \___/ http://www.netmdc.com
[---------------------------------------------[system info]-----------]
 12:20pm  up 71 days, 19:17,  5 users,  load average: 0.59, 0.43, 0.35

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 01:17:25PM -0500, John W. Lemons III wrote:
> Thanks to all that have replied, but I think I've found the culprit.
> I've been hacked using a "known" BIND weakness.  (Unknown to me!)
> So, any way, I'll be cleaning up that mess this afternoon.  :/
>
> Anyone know if its safe to just verify/re-install the RPMs from CD, or
> should I wipe it and start over?

Start over. You'll never know whether they've left a re-exploitable program on your
system somewhere. Have you checked for /usr/lib/math/fp/.setuid-root-shell?

Glad that you found the problem. You might also be interested to know that
the author of qmail has written an alternative to BIND and it comes with a
security gaurantee!

Regards.

>Start over. You'll never know whether they've left a re-exploitable program
on your
>system somewhere. Have you checked for /usr/lib/math/fp/.setuid-root-shell?

No, it doesn't appear to exist, but since the system has been compromised,
who really knows?  :/

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 02:00:39PM -0500, John W. Lemons III wrote:
> >Start over. You'll never know whether they've left a re-exploitable program
> on your
> >system somewhere. Have you checked for /usr/lib/math/fp/.setuid-root-shell?
>
> No

Good. Now check for all the other places it could be in :>

> but since the system has been compromised,
> who really knows?  :/

I think you've got the idea exactly. As a general rule, once a bad guy
has had root they can do many many things to keep it or re-claim it.

Just a few exaples of the more obvious tricks:

1.      Modify the rc start up scripts to create a setuid shell
        somewhere.

2.      Create a root cron that does the same.

3.      Put an innocuous looking entry in inetd.conf which actually
        starts a process as root for you.

4.      Create an innoucuous looking user (nobody4 is a goodie) with a
        uid of zero and a password you know.

5.      Install an old version of sendmail.

6.      Replace the passwd command with a wrapper that sends the username
        and password to a remote address.

7.      Modify your .profile to create a function for su that traps the
        root password and emails it somewhere.

Regards.

>Good. Now check for all the other places it could be in :>

I did an ls -alR | grep...  and it came up clean.

>1.     Modify the rc start up scripts to create a setuid shell
>       somewhere.

clean...

>2.     Create a root cron that does the same.

also clean.  I checked all the cron jobs after finding /bin/ns set to run
every minute as root.  I have no idea what it does/did, but I didn't put it
there, and it isn't running now.

>3.     Put an innocuous looking entry in inetd.conf which actually
>       starts a process as root for you.

just found this appended to the last line of the file, right after the qmail
entry I had installed the night before:
  linuxconf stream tcp wait root /bin/linuxconf linuxconf --http

I certainly don't remember putting it there, so this makes me thing the
breach is worse than I at first thought.  :/

>4.     Create an innoucuous looking user (nobody4 is a goodie) with a
>       uid of zero and a password you know.
>5.     Install an old version of sendmail.
>6.     Replace the passwd command with a wrapper that sends the username
>       and password to a remote address.
>7.     Modify your .profile to create a function for su that traps the
>       root password and emails it somewhere.

Clean (for now)

Oh well, I'm learning a lot, which was part of the reason I built the server
in the first place.  Thanks for the input.

PS>  In case you are wondering, no, I'm not mailing from that server.  I'm
on a different network all together.  :)

At 4/5/2000 02:41 PM -0500, John W. Lemons III wrote or quoted:

>just found this appended to the last line of the file, right after the
>qmail entry I had installed the night before:
>   linuxconf stream tcp wait root /bin/linuxconf linuxconf --http
>
>I certainly don't remember putting it there, so this makes me thing the
>breach is worse than I at first thought.  :/

If you're running a Red Hat system, that was probably put there by
linuxconf itself, which is probably running out of a startup entry like
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99linuxconf -> ../init.d/linuxconf. In which case, it's
not cause for alarm.

Also, if you're running Red Hat, you might want to use rpm to verify all
packages against the installation CD.

                              Kai MacTane
                          System Administrator
                       Online Partners.com, Inc.
 From the Jargon File: (v4.0.0, 25 Jul 1996)

finger trouble /n./

Mistyping, typos, or generalized keyboard incompetence (this is
surprisingly common among hackers, given the amount of time they
spend at keyboards). "I keep putting colons at the end of statements
instead of semicolons", "Finger trouble again, eh?".

>If you're running a Red Hat system, that was probably put there by
>linuxconf itself, which is probably running out of a startup entry like
>/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99linuxconf -> ../init.d/linuxconf. In which case, it's
>not cause for alarm.

I think you are right, since I checked into its security, and it was still
set up to only allow localhost.  Probably not a problem.  Just strange that
it got appended after I last appended something and after a security breach.

>Also, if you're running Red Hat, you might want to use rpm to verify all
>packages against the installation CD.

I did that, and very little asside from a large chunk of /etc came up
different.  But isn't this also prone to problems if rpm was hacked?  I
guess I could re-install rpm and then do it, but I think that all things
considered, I'll just wipe and re-install.  I'll sleep better.

Thanks for the help,
John

John W. Lemons III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Good. Now check for all the other places it could be in :>
>
> I did an ls -alR | grep...  and it came up clean.
>
> >1.   Modify the rc start up scripts to create a setuid shell
> >     somewhere.
>
> clean...

Except that a bad guy who had root can install a replace ls/find/etc which
won't list his files.  And if he's a little smarter, he can install a
kernel module which will hide his files from _every_ system utility.  And
the kernel module hides itself...etc, etc.

If he wants to, he can keep just about anyone from finding the holes he's
left behind.

Charles

I dont have any of the logs with me right now but mabey I'm just missing
something simple here. I can seem to send mail to remote sites fine, and to
local boxes too. The problem is receving localy and remotly. Localy it
doesnt give me any errors, but remote will give me the could'nt send msg for
4 hours and "451 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... reply: read error from
mail.somedomain.com.". Any clues? Thanks.

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 01:33:58PM -0700, Nathan Kuriger wrote:
> I dont have any of the logs with me right now but mabey I'm just missing
> something simple here. I can seem to send mail to remote sites fine, and to
> local boxes too. The problem is receving localy and remotly. Localy it
> doesnt give me any errors, but remote will give me the could'nt send msg for
> 4 hours and "451 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... reply: read error from
> mail.somedomain.com.". Any clues? Thanks.

Yep. mail.somedomain.com isn't the MX for somedomain.com - so your system
is not resolving MX records properly. You'll need to fix that first.

Regards.

The domain works fine. I just changed it to somedomain.com.

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 01:47:36PM -0700, Nathan Kuriger wrote:
> The domain works fine. I just changed it to somedomain.com.

My answer is fine. I just changed it to be something else too!

You cloak the information, we cloak the answer. Seems fair to
me.

fair enough...

451 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... reply: read error from mail.evilmonkeys.com.
451 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... reply: read error from evilmonkeys.com.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Deferred: Connection reset by evilmonkeys.com.

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 01:47:36PM -0700, Nathan Kuriger wrote:
> The domain works fine. I just changed it to somedomain.com.

My answer is fine. I just changed it to be something else too!

You cloak the information, we cloak the answer. Seems fair to
me.

Hi everyone !

I just have a little question. My qmail is an SMTP RELAY.
All work's okay in the wonderfull world of qmail without any
relaying problem...

But : my qmail domain is mydomain.com

How avoiding qmail accepting FROM THE INTERNET this :

MAIL FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

As my qmail is a relay, he never have to accept mydomain.com from the
INTERNET...

I have think to add mydomain.com in the badmailfrom file, but the
internal SMTP machine (a TFS) will not be able to use the QMAIL to send
email to the world... (since all mail will be MAIL
FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Any idea? Is it possible to do a selective badmailfrom (or not parse
badmailfrom for the internal network)?

Regards from France, Christophe.

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 08:48:20PM +0200, Christophe Lesur wrote:

> Hi everyone !
>
> I just have a little question. My qmail is an SMTP RELAY.
> All work's okay in the wonderfull world of qmail without any
> relaying problem...
>
> But : my qmail domain is mydomain.com

You better speak to the guy with somedomain.com as I think
the names are too similar and the Internet is getting
confused.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 08:48:20PM +0200, Christophe Lesur wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone !
> >
> > I just have a little question. My qmail is an SMTP RELAY.
> > All work's okay in the wonderfull world of qmail without any
> > relaying problem...
> >
> > But : my qmail domain is mydomain.com
>
> You better speak to the guy with somedomain.com as I think
> the names are too similar and the Internet is getting
> confused.

okay, so add 'if my domain is' mydomain.com...

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 08:56:24PM +0200, Christophe Lesur wrote:

> okay, so add 'if my domain is' mydomain.com...

no, just add useful information.

btw:
  echo >/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
then look into FAQ 5.4 if you haven't done this already.

Regards, Uwe

> btw:
>   echo >/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
> then look into FAQ 5.4 if you haven't done this already.

In fact, RCPTHOSTS are okay : mydomain.com is accept and correctly
routed to the right gateway...

Other domain are rejected.

btw my problem is not with RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It's when some one 'spoof' an internal adress ie MAIL
FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Regards and thanks, Christophe.

>Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:49:32 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours
>Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (warning-timeout)
>

>    **********************************************
>    **      THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY      **
>    **  YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE  **
>
>The original message was received at Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:44:18 -0400 (EDT)
>from fra-pci-laj-vty252.as.wcom.net [212.211.72.252]
>
>   ----- The following addresses had transient non-fatal errors -----
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,

whats wrong with your MTA ??