Hmmm... On the machine that you are having the problems finding the alias
user, are you running a qmail-1.03 binary package that was compiled on a
different machine?

I had similar problems.  I built qmail-1.03, tarred up the binaries, moved
them to a (seemingly) identical machine, and it failed to run.  This is
because the numeric uids and gids of the qmail system users are compiled
into the code.  (Other ppl on this list confirmed this for me; thank you).

For example, I can reproduce your error by copying /etc/passwd and changing
the alias user's uid and then trying to run qmail-pw2u on it:

keith@develop[pts/8]:~$ cp /etc/passwd .
keith@develop[pts/8]:~$ grep ^alias: ./passwd
alias:x:202:214:Qmail Subsystem,,,:/usr/local/qmail/alias:/bin/false
keith@develop[pts/8]:~$ # alias user has uid 202; will change it to 302
keith@develop[pts/8]:~$ vi ./passwd
keith@develop[pts/8]:~$ grep ^alias: ./passwd
alias:x:302:214:Qmail Subsystem,,,:/usr/local/qmail/alias:/bin/false
keith@develop[pts/8]:~$ qmail-pw2u < ./passwd 1>/dev/null
qmail-pw2u: fatal: unable to find alias user
keith@develop[pts/8]:~$