        From:   Greg Owen [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Friday, April 14, 2000 10:41 AM
        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:        RE: qmail, ucsi-tcp & inetd

        > Wou, you've all certainly encouraged me to get rid of
        > inetd!!! I'll do that then... should I mind for other
        > applications/services that use inetd installed in my
        > server before switching to ucsi-tcp or is it completely
        > "transparent" to them??

                As long as inetd is not configured to listen to the ports
you want
        tcpserver to listen to, the two coexist peacefully.

                It helps to understand the basic difference in the way they
work:

                inetd takes a configuration file (/etc/inetd.conf) which
tells it a
        list of ports to listen to, and an associated program to run when
traffic
        comes in.  When inetd start up it binds to all those ports, and
listens.

                tcpserver takes a command line argument which tells it what
(single)
        port to listen to, and an associated program to run when traffic
comes in.
        If you want to run multiple services, you need multiple running
tcpserver
        processes.

                If inetd.conf tells it to listen to the smtp port, and then
you run
        tcpserver to listen to smtp port, then tcpserver won't be able to
run
        because the port already has a listener.  Which leads back to my
first
        paragraph ;>.

                I have a system now that's not using inetd for anything.
All it
        runs are qmail, identd, and dnscache under tcpserver, ssh and ftpd
in
        standalone mode.

        --
                gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]