On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Abdul Rehman Gani wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of moving to qmail from Mailsite (on NT), but I face a
> problem with SPAM that I do not think will be solved by QMail. The sender of
> the spam is using a fake address on our domain as the from address in the
> spam. Although the spam itself is forwarded through AOL/concentric and
> possibly via other free/cheap access points (our server is not a relay or
> originator), the bounces and complaints do reach us.
>
> 1. Is there a way to get qmail to reject mail sent to a specified address on
> one of the domains for which it does accept mail - sort of a BADMAILTO
> entry? Ideally the mail should be rejected during the SMTP receipt session.

You can use "bouncesaying" in a dot-qmail file to bounce mail sent to a
specific address with a specific return message.  Note that qmail will
accept the message for delivery before encountering this, so if the
envelope is bad, the message will double-bounce to you.

If you really want to do the bouncing during the SMTP conversation, which
can be a bad idea for several reasons (see earlier threads on this topic),
check out one of the anti-spam patches available from qmail.org or here:
  http://www.summersault.com/chris/techno/qmail/qmail-antispam.html

> 2. A better solution would be to stop mail with fake from addresses from
> exiting a system altogether. Any one know about such a system or how it can
> be implemented - it certainly would seem to be a major task to convince mail
> admins to do so, and they all would have to to be able to prevent this from
> happening.

I'm not sure all mail admins would agree that this is a good
solution.  Some consider it a feature that one can send mail from a
"physical" address on one machine with an envelope pointing to another
account.  This is what makes POP client mailers so flexible (e.g. if I use
earthlink to dial up to the net but want to use my university mail account
to "send and receive" mail.)  But, as you have seen, that feature comes
with some hassles too.

> 3. The spam messages contain only US based toll free numbers (1-888-258-4753
> and 888-533-1018). I am not in the US so I need some help in tracking the
> owners of these numbers. Can someone help in that regard?

US 1-800-555-1212?  infospace.com reverse lookup?  Call the numbers and
tell them you're interested in their product and need a mailing address?

Hope this helps,
Chris

----- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------
-------- http://www.summersault.com/chris/ --