On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Vincent Danen wrote:

> Hello.  I just setup a server for my father and I installed qmail because
> I use it here and it works great.  His situation is a little different
> from my own, however.  POP3 works great starting from inetd, but qmail
> gives errors.  The error I get is:
>
> tcpserver: fatal: unable to figure out port number for geceventures.com
>
> I'm starting qmail-smtpd with:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> QMAILUID=`id -u qmaild`
> NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
> exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
>   /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcprules.d/smtpd.cdb \
>   -u $QMAILUID -g $NOFILESGID geceventures.com 25 \
>   /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

Does "geveventures.com" resolve to an IP address?

Change "geceventures.com" to the IP address of the interfce you wish
to bind to, or make it 0 if you would like to bind to all available
interfaces.

The tcpserver doco says:

    tcpserver opts host port prog
    The server's address is given by host and port. port may be a name
    from /etc/services or a number; if it is 0, tcpserver will choose a
    free TCP port. host may be 0, allowing connections to any local IP
    address; or a dotted-decimal IP address, allowing connections only
    to that address; or a host name, allowing connections to the first
    IP address for that host. Host names are fed through qualification
    using dns_ip4_qualify.

Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Consultant                        or at present:
eServ. Pty Ltd                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +61 2 9206 3410                      Fax: +61 2 9281 1301

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"