qmail Digest 28 Apr 2000 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 985

Topics (messages 40672 through 40688):

Re: system start script
        40672 by: dd

fetchmail + qmail, socket error
        40673 by: joe.acsc.com.hk

qmailanalog - matchup
        40674 by: Steffan Hoeke
        40676 by: Peter Green

Re: messages sent to msglog??
        40675 by: Peter Green

Re: Compilation errors
        40677 by: Paul Schinder

Re: qmail-uce works in vpopmail environment ?
        40678 by: sunchain

AntiVirus packages.
        40679 by: Steve Peace
        40680 by: Anton Pirnat
        40685 by: Ismal Hisham Darus

vpopmail mysql problem - help
        40681 by: PPPindia

qmail book
        40682 by: andy huhn
        40688 by: John R. Levine

Re: Qmail installation on FreeBSD 4 following LWQ didn't work out
        40683 by: Neil Blakey-Milner

Configuration question behind a firewall
        40684 by: Susan Short
        40686 by: Mrs. Brisby

Re: qmail inserting from: anonymous
        40687 by: Mahlon Smith

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I installed qmail 1.03 and it works fine on my Digital unix4.0D.
>
> However when I tested my system script starting the qmail at boot:

[...]

> qmail was not started at boot, although the script works when
> tried at the command line.  (the script was in /.../rc3.d)

I had the same problem in linux then I found out that Iwas running one of
the services qmail needed _after_ starting qmail (right now I can't remember
wich one though :/). Making sure that qmail was called at the end of the
script (check the daemons called in other scripts also) and modifying the
script accordingly solved the problem.  if You're using tcpserver make sure
that it's called after qmail is started.

hope this helps a little bit...
yours,

dd

Hi all,
    I encounter the follow problem. Can anyone drop hints for me.
My configuration:
Red Hat : 6.0+CLE v0.8
qmail:1.03
fetchmail: 5.0

I setup dialup on demand for crond to retrieve mail from ISP through fetchmail. Every thing is work properly. However, if i retrivev a mail which the size
is greater(1M). The fetchmail will come up with socket error Query Status=2
By fetchmail FAQ,  I have set
the following in my ppp options file
mtu 552
mru 552

but the error still occur. Can anyone know why?

Joe

Hi,

I've (finally) started using qmailanalog, but when i try to pass a specific maillog
through matchup i get the following error :

matchup: fatal: unable to write to fd 5: file descriptor not open

I'm using a script to pass maillog & maillog.1 thu 7 to matchup.
2 of the logs generate this error :-(

I've attached the script, just in case.
I know it's not great programming, it's more 'brute force', but i'm a newbie to unix
and haven't gotten the hang of scripting yet :-(

Thanks,
 Steffan
--
http://therookie.dyndns.org
#####

#####
## Where should temporary files be stored
#####
TempLoc=/tmp

#####
## Where can i find the log files
#####
LogLoc=/var/log

cd $TempLoc
echo preprocessing maillog.7
        echo -n '       copying'
                cp $LogLoc/maillog.7.gz .
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       unpacking'
                gunzip ./maillog.7.gz
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       filtering'
                awk '{$1="";$2="";$3="";$4="";$5="";print}' ./maillog.7 | matchup
>./matchup.out
        echo ' .'

echo preprocessing maillog.6
        echo -n '       copying'
                cp $LogLoc/maillog.6.gz .
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       unpacking'
                gunzip ./maillog.6.gz
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       filtering'
                awk '{$1="";$2="";$3="";$4="";$5="";print}' ./maillog.6 | matchup
>>./matchup.out
        echo ' .'

echo preprocessing maillog.5
        echo -n '       copying'
                cp $LogLoc/maillog.5.gz .
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       unpacking'
                gunzip ./maillog.5.gz
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       filtering'
                awk '{$1="";$2="";$3="";$4="";$5="";print}' ./maillog.5 | matchup
>>./matchup.out
        echo ' .'

echo preprocessing maillog.4
        echo -n '       copying'
                cp $LogLoc/maillog.4.gz .
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       unpacking'
                gunzip ./maillog.4.gz
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       filtering'
                awk '{$1="";$2="";$3="";$4="";$5="";print}' ./maillog.4 | matchup
>>./matchup.out
        echo ' .'

echo preprocessing maillog.3
        echo -n '       copying'
                cp $LogLoc/maillog.3.gz .
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       unpacking'
                gunzip ./maillog.3.gz
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       filtering'
                awk '{$1="";$2="";$3="";$4="";$5="";print}' ./maillog.3 | matchup
>>./matchup.out
        echo ' .'

echo preprocessing maillog.2
        echo -n '       copying'
                cp $LogLoc/maillog.2.gz .
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       unpacking'
                gunzip ./maillog.2.gz
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       filtering'
                awk '{$1="";$2="";$3="";$4="";$5="";print}' ./maillog.2 | matchup
>>./matchup.out
        echo ' .'

echo preprocessing maillog.1
        echo -n '       copying'
                cp $LogLoc/maillog.1.gz .
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       unpacking'
                gunzip ./maillog.1.gz
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       filtering'
                awk '{$1="";$2="";$3="";$4="";$5="";print}' ./maillog.1 | matchup
>>./matchup.out
        echo ' .'

echo preprocessing maillog.0
        echo -n '       copying'
                cp $LogLoc/maillog.0.gz .
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       unpacking'
                gunzip ./maillog.0.gz
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       filtering'
                awk '{$1="";$2="";$3="";$4="";$5="";print}' ./maillog.0 | matchup
>>./matchup.out
        echo ' .'

echo preprocessing maillog
        echo -n '       copying'
                cp $LogLoc/maillog .
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       unpacking'
                echo -n ' not needed'
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       filtering'
                awk '{$1="";$2="";$3="";$4="";$5="";print}' ./maillog | matchup
>>./matchup.out
        echo ' .'
echo cleaning up
        echo -n '       removing maillog.7'
                rm maillog.7
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       removing maillog.6'
                rm maillog.6
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       removing maillog.5'
                rm maillog.5
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       removing maillog.4'
                rm maillog.4
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       removing maillog.3'
                rm maillog.3
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       removing maillog.2'
                rm maillog.2
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       removing maillog.1'
                rm maillog.1
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       removing maillog.0'
                rm maillog.0
        echo ' .'
        echo -n '       removing maillog'
                rm maillog
        echo ' .'

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 12:35:21PM +0200, Steffan Hoeke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've (finally) started using qmailanalog, but when i try to pass a
> specific maillog through matchup i get the following error :
>
> matchup: fatal: unable to write to fd 5: file descriptor not open

Did you read the man page for matchup?

       matchup  exits after it sees end of file.  It prints pend-
       ing messages and deliveries on descriptor 5, in  a  format
       suitable for input to a future invocation of matchup:

          <log.1 matchup >out.1 5>pending.2
          cat pending.2 log.2 | matchup >out.2 5>pending.3
          cat pending.3 log.3 | matchup >out.3 5>pending.4

It's only an error if there are messages pending. You'll probably want to
change your script to reflect this or you won't have accurate reports.

/pg
--
Peter Green
Gospel Communications Network, SysAdmin

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 10:29:28AM +0530, Madhav wrote:
> hi,
> i use a RH 6.1 and i have installed qmail in one machine using rpms from
> "bruceg-qmail+patches"
> and it is working fine. but when i send mails i see a delivery made to
> msglog (also i am unable to find where this is stored) i don't want to keep
> a copy of the mails sent. so how do i disable it.

It is disabled by default. The "delivery" you are seeing is (basically)
merely a formality. Look at the file /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-msglog; if it
only has comments, then messages bound for msglog@wherever are going right
into the bit bucket. The original recipient still gets it, though.

/pg
--

At 11:41 AM +0800 4/27/00, Isaiah Chua wrote:
>hi folks,
>
>I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but searching the FAQs
>didn't produce anything, so I assume it could be new.
>
>I'm trying to compile qMail on our RedHat 6.2 server and have
>downloaded all the necessary files for qMail to be compiled and take
>over sendmail.
>
>However, whenever I try to compile either of the modules and qMail
>itself, I get a rather similar message for all... after typing 'make
>setup check':
>
>bash# cd qmail*
>bash# make setup check
>( ( ./compile tryvfork.c && ./load tryvfork ) >/dev/null \
>2>&1 \
>&& cat fork.h2 || cat fork.h1 ) > fork.h
>rm -f tryvfork.o tryvfork
>./compile qmail-local.c
>qmail-local.c: In function `main':
>qmail-local.c:448: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
>./compile qmail.c
>./compile quote.c
>./compile now.c
>./compile gfrom.c
>./compile myctime.c
>./compile slurpclose.c
>./compile case_diffb.c
>./compile case_diffs.c
>./compile case_lowerb.c
>./compile case_lowers.c
>./compile case_starts.c
>./makelib case.a case_diffb.o case_diffs.o case_lowerb.o \
>case_lowers.o case_starts.o
>./compile getln.c
>./compile getln2.c
>./makelib getln.a getln.o getln2.o
>./compile subgetopt.c
>./compile sgetopt.c
>./makelib getopt.a subgetopt.o sgetopt.o
>./compile sig_alarm.c
>In file included from /usr/include/signal.h:300,
>                  from sig_alarm.c:1:
>/usr/include/bits/sigcontext.h:28: asm/sigcontext.h: No such file or
>directory
>make: *** [sig_alarm.o] Error 1
>
>I already have all the GNU C compilers installed on the server.
>
>Anyone has any ideas why?

You're missing the kernel headers, most likely.  You'll need to get
them from somewhere before you can proceed.  There's an rpm, I think.
On my Yellow Dog Linux machine (a RedHat clone for PPC),
/usr/include/asm is a symlink into the kernel sources.

Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 693
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:01:08 +0800 (CST)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am having qmail+vpopmail running on Solaris and am looking for
> some ways to let my vpopmail account users to have his/her own
> mail filter to reject mails. I saw 'qmail-uce' on the net. It
> looks like a good way to try, but I am wondering if it works well
> with vpopmail environment. Can qmail-uce (w/maildrop or procmail)
> recognize individual user's filter recipe under a vpopmail account's
> home directory?
> (say, /home/vpopmail/domains/virtual.net/user1/rcptfilter)
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> ------------
> Wang-hua Li

I think vpopmail put user's dot qmail file at vitural domain directory.
for example, user1 of virtual.net, .qmail-virtual.net-user1 is existing
under /home/vpopmail/domains/virtual.net/.
So It cann't recognize file under
/home/vpopmail/domains/virtual.net/user1/rcptfilter,

sunchain
>from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Does anybody know of a good antivirus package I can put on my RedHat 6.1,
Qmail 1.03 server that may possibly be able to scan incoming messages for
viruses?  If not I guess I will have to trust my users to not download and
execute any questionable attachments and actually trust them to scan there
own PCs for viruses every so often.

Thanks,
Steve Peace

There are different ways to do so.. have a look at
http://satan.oih.rwth-aachen.de/AMaViS/amavis.html

hth

Anton Pirnat

Am 27.04.00, 14:24:14, schrieb "Steve Peace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
zum Thema AntiVirus packages.:

> Does anybody know of a good antivirus package I can put on my RedHat
6.1,
> Qmail 1.03 server that may possibly be able to scan incoming messages
for
> viruses?  If not I guess I will have to trust my users to not download
and
> execute any questionable attachments and actually trust them to scan
there
> own PCs for viruses every so often.

> Thanks,
> Steve Peace

our site use scan4virus by jason haar. You can give a try at

http://www.geocities.com/jhaar/scan4virus/

On 27 Apr 00, at 13:24, Steve Peace hit the keyboard :

> Does anybody know of a good antivirus package I can put on my RedHat 6.1,
> Qmail 1.03 server that may possibly be able to scan incoming messages for
> viruses?  If not I guess I will have to trust my users to not download and
> execute any questionable attachments and actually trust them to scan there
> own PCs for viruses every so often.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Peace

Ismal Hisham Mohd Darus
Asst. Manager, System Support
John Hancock Life Insurance (Malaysia) Berhad

I am trying to setup vpopmail with mysql support.
I have followed the instructions in README.mysql
I can add an user through qmailadmin but the user info
is getting written into vpasswd file and not into mysql table.

I get vsql_getw error - failed connect message when i try
to add an user from the command prompt and the same message
when i send an email to the new user. (it bounces back)
I also get no table vpopmail.vpopmail error.

there is no table in vpopmail database, eventhough i get
converting done message when i convert using vconvert.
What is the problem here ?

Why vpopmail is not creating the necessary table ?
If i can make vpopmail to create a table then the problem
is solved.

Should i configure qmail also to use mysql ?

Any help is appreciated

regards
babu
PPPshar- Internet for your LAN with one Internet account
netMailshar -Email for every desktop with one 'Net account.
MailAssistant - Speaking Email Notifier
GetAgain - resume interrupted downloads.
Visit http://www.pppindia.com/software

I know that a qmail book is in the works for some time in 2000, and it has
fallen off of O'Reilly's production schedule...any update on this?  Any idea
when it's coming out?  I think I'll be the first in line for it when it
comes!

Andy Huhn
DataSwitch Information Services, Inc.
http://www.stormwarn.com
Get Customized Weather Bulletins Sent to Email, Fax, or Pager for as low as
$2.00/month!

>I know that a qmail book is in the works for some time in 2000, and it has
>fallen off of O'Reilly's production schedule...any update on this?  Any idea
>when it's coming out?  I think I'll be the first in line for it when it
>comes!

Russ and I expect to get back to work on it this summer.  I have one book
in the queue ahead of it which is mostly done.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
[EMAIL PROTECTED], Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,

I wrote:
> If you're unable to wait a day or two, it won't kill you if you install
> it manually.  I should get around to upgrading it tomorrow, if not in
> the next few hours.

Ok, it took 34 hours, since I had to find out about repository copies.
It should work now.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Hacker In Chief, Sunesi Clinical Systems

I am a qmail newbie.

I have qmail installed and working in our dmz behind one Cisco pix.

Our network design requires that I forward all the mail currently coming
into my dmz back to our inside secure network to host email02 behind another
pix.  I have tried to set this up and am my mail appears to be going in a
loop.

My intention was for email01 in the dmz to receive all mail and send it back
to email02 for storage. the MX record on the internet points to email01.
There is no record on the internet for email02.

I was trying to do this with smtproutes. So email01 has mydomain.com in its
rcpthosts but nots its locals and an smtproute file with
mydomain.com:[ip_of_email02]. Then email02 had just one line in its
smtproute file of
:[ip_of_email01].

I Tried putting mydomain.com back in the locals on email01 and using a
.qmail-default file to forward everything back to the IP address of email02.

[email01]# more .qmail-default
| forward "$LOCAL@[10.2.10.6]"

I didn't get mail in either of the above cases.  My first question is
conceptual. Am I going about this in the correct manner or is there a better
way?

I will need to have email02 forward outbound mail because I don't have
internet DNS resolution in my secure network.

What do you think the best configuration is given that I will probably not
be able to get DNS resolution back to my secure network and I will only have
my email01 host in the DMZ advertizing as an DNS MX record on the internet.
My disk storage for email messages is all in the secure network so I need to
store the messages back there.

Thanks for any help on this.

Susan Short

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:58:12 PDT, Susan Short wrote:

>I am a qmail newbie.
>
>I have qmail installed and working in our dmz behind one Cisco pix.
>
>Our network design requires that I forward all the mail currently coming
>into my dmz back to our inside secure network to host email02 behind another
>pix.  I have tried to set this up and am my mail appears to be going in a
>loop.
>
>My intention was for email01 in the dmz to receive all mail and send it back
>to email02 for storage. the MX record on the internet points to email01.
>There is no record on the internet for email02.

I had to do something similar at my office. Using your example, I configured email01
to forward all mail to it's smarthost:
email02. i did this by using the smarthost file in the controls/ dir on email01.

both machines were led to believe they were both hostX (locals, me, rcpthosts).
however, only email02 would have the
maildrops.

hope this helps.

Nope, nothing sinister, just no real FROM header,
so qmail inserts it's own.

Setting your ENV variables from within your script
(before you call your mailer) will take care of it nicely.

--
Mahlon Smith
InternetCDS