From: Rogerio Brito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 02:32:47 -0300

   On May 01 2000, lewst wrote:
   > What is the easiest way to have qmail deliver an incoming message to
   > an mbox named after the current year and month without having to
   > manually adjust the .qmail each month?  For example, "mbox.2000-05".

   Essentially, something like this would do the trick:

   | preline cat >> ./mbox.`date +%Y-%m`

   Notice that I said *essentially*. You'd have to substitute cat
   with something that takes care of locks to avoid concurrent
   writes to the same message and that works gracefully under
   circumstances of failure.

   If there isn't such a program, you'd have to write your own
   here.

How about a cron job that does the following at appropriate intervals:

        echo "./mbox.`date '+%Y-%m'`" > .temp; mv -f .temp .qmail

Since no special code need be run at delivery time, this should be quite
robust.

                                        -- Bob Rogers