Certainly Maildir with qmail-pop3d will help here, though it
should be noted that many clients don't cope well if a download
exceeds a certain time such as the time between mailbox checks.

Most of the pop servers that work on mbox format mailboxes have
to scan the whole file searching for "^From " strings - this takes
a long time with large files.

Regards.