I'm still having a problem with getting mail from the outside world, but I
can send mail out from root just fine.  I'm thinking that maybe my problem
has something to do with alias?  Maybe if I understood HOW Qmail actually
sees a user on a system to deliver mail, I'd better understand how to get
this thing working.

How does Qmail realize a user's Mailbox exists?

Here is how I have my rcpthosts set:
localhost
ns.mydomain.com
mydomain.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here is how I have my locals set:
localhost
ns.mydomain.com
mydomain.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have nothing currently in virtualdomains

If I send a qmail-inject to me locally, I've noticed that my .qmail (which
has a forward in it) sends the mail to my forwarded address on another
system. But.. if I remove the .qmail from my directory, the mail doesn't
arrive to the Mailbox.  Where does it go?  Do I need to have something
else in a .qmail file to get mail locally?

Thanks.

james