Hi!

> I would like to know if it's possible to have two copies of Qmail running on
> the same system, or one with two different configurations depending on the
> IP it's listening to.

To solve your problem, you don't necessarily have to do that.

> The idea is to use one to check incoming and outgoing e-mails for virus and
> the other one for normal e-mails.

Ok, I'll assume that the mail you don't want to check for virii comes from
a known range of IP addresses.

> My thoughts are to configure another IP for my machine and make a Qmail
> daemon answer to that IP, how can I make that when Qmail receives something
> for that IP it scans them for virus and if it's for another IP (both IPs on
> the same machine) it doesn't scan them?
>
> Maybe I could configure it like a virtual domain?

No, I'd recommend you to use scan4virus (or AMAVIS :-) and the QMAILQUEUE
patch (both discussed recently). Then, set the default QMAILQUEUE to the
virus scanner (in the startup file), but in your smtp.rules (that
tcpserver reads from), set QMAILQUEUE to the real "qmail-queue"
executable for those IPs whose mail you don't want to scan.

Reversely, you can have the default to be qmail-queue and only run the
scanner for mail from certain IPs.

> Has anybody done something like this?

No, but I'm dead sure it can be done :-> No need to run 2 qmails...

> Thanks.

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist