qmail Digest 11 May 2000 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 998

Topics (messages 41490 through 41541):

Qmail installation CDB problem
        41490 by: James
        41502 by: Greg Owen

.qmail (forward Strange Error)
        41491 by: Mark Lo
        41492 by: Jerry Walsh

can't telnet to pop server
        41493 by: Mark Lo
        41525 by: Dale Miracle

Re: Help with overwhelmed system
        41494 by: Dave Sill
        41497 by: Peter van Dijk

Re: qmail cdb problem
        41495 by: Dave Sill
        41496 by: Petr Novotny
        41498 by: Dave Sill
        41522 by: James

Re: How do you do it?
        41499 by: Bruno Wolff III
        41511 by: John Palkovic

Re: QMail Performance Question & Miscellaneous Issues
        41500 by: Ricardo D. Albano
        41513 by: markd.bushwire.net
        41514 by: markd.bushwire.net
        41526 by: Flemming Funch

Subject filtering on a relay-only system?
        41501 by: Ralf Günthner
        41508 by: Ondrej Sury
        41524 by: Ricardo D. Albano

Converting from Sendmail/majordomo to Qmail/ezmlm
        41503 by: Rodney Edwards
        41504 by: Michael Johnson

qmail-send problem
        41505 by: Daniel
        41506 by: Greg Owen

How to Retrive Mail from Qmail
        41507 by: Mark Lo
        41509 by: Ryan Russell

questions about conversion from Sendmail to qmail
        41510 by: blaine minazzi

Blank messages when receiving mail
        41512 by: Eric Jennings

remove
        41515 by: Kyle Gannon

qmail-unsubscribe
        41516 by: Kyle Gannon

I get the following message when I telnet in
        41517 by: Eric Fletcher

hostname -f query
        41518 by: PPPindia
        41519 by: Keith Warno

unsubscribe qmail
        41520 by: Isaiah Chua

822header for Mail Filtering?
        41521 by: Kai MacTane

time trouble with POP and SMTP
        41523 by: FabriceK
        41530 by: Martin A. Brown

qmail-qfilter stangeness
        41527 by: Russell P. Sutherland
        41532 by: Bruce Guenter

Re: pop clients.
        41528 by: Eric Cox

location of Unsent messages
        41529 by: Mark Lo
        41533 by: Steffan Hoeke

Different between .qmail and Maildrop
        41531 by: Mark Lo

What does this mean?  "unable to parse"
        41534 by: James
        41536 by: lopera.eprinsa.es
        41537 by: James
        41538 by: lopera.eprinsa.es

Hanging smtpd processes - Again w/more info
        41535 by: mack.ms1.hinet.net

Virtual Domain Error
        41539 by: Mark Lo

Re: "unable to parse" Fixed.
        41540 by: James

Still can't get mail from outside server
        41541 by: James

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am having difficulties while trying to get Qmail to run properly on
Linux Mandrake 7.02.  I have followed "Life With Qmail"
(http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html) step by step.. and when I get to
the section:

Allow the local host to inject mail via SMTP:
echo '127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""' >>/etc/tcp.smtp
/usr/local/sbin/qmail cdb

I do ok on the first part (beginning with "echo '127), but on the second
line (beginning with "/usr/local/"), I get this error when I input that
line:

bash: /usr/local/sbin/qmail: No such file or directory

So, I decide to go to /usr/local/sbin/ and I do an "ls" and in that
directory is this file:

qmail@

So then I do a "ls -la" and see this:

qmail -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail*

I am very curios at this point, so I change the directory to
/etc/rc.d/init.d and I find a qmail* file does exist.  Its properties
are -rwxr-xr-x

What the heck?  How come I get "No such file or directory" when I type
"/usr/local/sbin/qmail cdb" (without the quotes) when the file (or is
it just a link?) IS there??

Thanks for any help.

james

> I am very curios at this point, so I change the directory to
> /etc/rc.d/init.d and I find a qmail* file does exist.  Its properties
> are -rwxr-xr-x
>
> What the heck?  How come I get "No such file or directory" when I type
> "/usr/local/sbin/qmail cdb" (without the quotes) when the file (or is
> it just a link?) IS there??

        What is the output of 'head -1 /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail'?  If the
script doesn't correctly point to the shell, then that can cause "No such
file or directory errors."

        Run 'vi /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail'.  At the bottom of the screen, you
will see either:

"qmail" [dos format] 50 lines, 4500 characters

        or

"qmail" 50 lines, 4500 characters

        (Immediately type ":q!" (without quotes) and hit enter to quit vi)

        If you see [dos format], then that's your problem.  Modify the file
to remove the DOS style CR/LF pairs.  Check out
http://kb.indiana.edu/data/acux.html for a list of ways to do this.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

      I have created a ".qmail" file in my home directory
(/home/mark/.qmail) and my user name is mark..  And In that .qmail file,
I put  "&[EMAIL PROTECTED]" in it.  Thus, whenever I send the a
messages to mark, it will forward a copy to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I
get this forwarding working okay.  But, I don't see any copy left at my
mark's.  Thus, /home/mark/Maildir/new has nothing in it.

Thank You

Mark

This is because you are *forwarding* the mail!

If you want to keep another copy then add another line to you .qmail file:

./Maildir/
or add another forwarding line

Regards!

--

Jerry Walsh                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Aardvark IPL                          Fax +353 21 896040

 The package said Windows NT 4 or better - I installed UNIX

Hi,

     How to determine whether my pop server is running or not.  I have
tried to telnet to 127.0.0.1 110...and I got the connection refused.
Then, I went for ps -aux, and i don't see any pop server running.

      Thus, i have already put pop server startup srcipt in
/var/qmail/rc according to life with qmail.

       i put the following into /var/qmail/rc:

 tcpserver -v -R 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
pop.sourcesfinder.com \
   /bin/checkpassword  /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1 | \
   /var/qmail/bin/splogger pop3d &

And i have installed the checkpassword and tcpserver utitilities and
working properly., my host name is space1.sourcesfinder.com, and using
redhat 6.0.

Thank You

mark

Mark Lo wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      How to determine whether my pop server is running or not.  I have
> tried to telnet to 127.0.0.1 110...and I got the connection refused.
> Then, I went for ps -aux, and i don't see any pop server running.
>
>       Thus, i have already put pop server startup srcipt in
> /var/qmail/rc according to life with qmail.
>
>        i put the following into /var/qmail/rc:
>
>  tcpserver -v -R 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
> pop.sourcesfinder.com \
>    /bin/checkpassword  /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1 | \
>    /var/qmail/bin/splogger pop3d &
>
> And i have installed the checkpassword and tcpserver utitilities and
> working properly., my host name is space1.sourcesfinder.com, and using
> redhat 6.0.
>
> Thank You
>
> mark

Try typing netstat -ta , it will show every service listening for a
connection.  The only thing that should be in the /var/qmail/rc is the
qmail-start command and etc.  Look in /var/qmail/boot for examples.  Your
pop3d and smtpd should be started from your local scripts or placed where
your previous ones were started from.  They would be in /etc/rc.d  .

        Later,
            Dale

Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 04:02:39PM -0400, Brad Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused
>> Mounted on
>> /dev/wd0s1e    396895   121201   243943    33%   99832       6   100%   /var
>>
>> 4) Fix the filesystem somehow.
>> Something like increasing the # of available inodes, partitioning?

Yes. Back up /var, re-newfs/mkfs it with more space allocated to
inodes, restore the files, then fix the queue file names with one of
the handy scripts on www.qmail.org.

>This is the problem, yes. You seem to have one inode per 4kbyte of
>diskspace. This should always be sufficient.

It's obviously not in this case. His 100,000 messages are apparently
pretty small. But regardless of their size, you need 100,000 inodes
to store 100,000 files. Each message in the queue requires at least
two inodes.

>Hmm this is problematic. I just realized that for a disk to run out of
>space before it runs out of inodes with qmail you need 1 inode per 1k.

How do you figure that? The ratio of inode space to data space (for
most filesystems) is determined at the time the filesystem is
created. I don't see anything magic about 1k/inode.

-Dave

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 08:25:08AM -0400, Dave Sill wrote:
[snip]

> >This is the problem, yes. You seem to have one inode per 4kbyte of
> >diskspace. This should always be sufficient.
>
> It's obviously not in this case. His 100,000 messages are apparently
> pretty small. But regardless of their size, you need 100,000 inodes
> to store 100,000 files. Each message in the queue requires at least
> two inodes.

I looked at one remote message and it took up 3 inodes: mess, info and
remote.

> >Hmm this is problematic. I just realized that for a disk to run out of
> >space before it runs out of inodes with qmail you need 1 inode per 1k.
>
> How do you figure that? The ratio of inode space to data space (for
> most filesystems) is determined at the time the filesystem is
> created. I don't see anything magic about 1k/inode.

The 'mess' would normally be a couple of kbytes, but info and
remote are under 50 bytes, normally. Averaging this I come to 'couple of
kbytes' (let's take 4), adding 2x50 bytes to this, gives me 4096+50+50=4196
bytes, divided over 3 inodes. 4196/3=1398.66. To have enough inodes for
this you need 1 inode per kbyte.

I have already been thinking in what formulation this would fit in LWQ - I
figured this is _the_ chance for me to contribute :)

Greetz, Peter.
--
Powered by WUT? - Peter van Dijk [student:sysadmin:developer:madly in love]

James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Then, when I try to enter the second line(/usr/local/sbin/qmail) I get
>
>"bash: /usr/local/sbin/qmail: No such file or directory."

See:

  http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/1200/fid/223/lang/en

Which almost certainly contains the fix for this problem.

-Dave

--
Petr Novotny, ANTEK CS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Petr Novotny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>   http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/1200/fid/223/lang/en
>
>Accidentally, that entry is wrong. You don't want to delete LF (octal
>'\012'); you want to delete CR (octal '\015'). Doh.

D'oh, indeed. Thanks. It's fixed.

-Dave

Dave Sill wrote:
:See:
:http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/1200/fid/223/lang/en
:Which almost certainly contains the fix for this problem.

Ah!.. well, at least it was as you described, in DOS format.  So I changed
it as suggested on the page, only now I get this error when trying to
issue the line /usr/local/sbin/qmail cdb:

tcprules: fatal: unable to parse this line: 127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
/usr/local/sbin/qmail cdb (that's all on one line)
Reloaded /etc/tcp.smtp.

How do I fix this?

Thanks for your help.

james

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 04:58:58PM -0300,
  Rogerio Brito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       Dave is impressive, indeed. But Dan's got to get the prize.
>       Let's see. The man is a teacher, active researcher writing
>       papers about Number Theory (that's what I want to be when I
>       grow up) and a better system administrator than most system
>       administrators out there. Not only that, he knows the finer
>       points (read: "bugs") about many software releases (namely,
>       BIND, sendmail, Apache etc) and inconsistences on RFCS.

You forgot to add "Freedom Fighter".

Bruno Wolff III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 04:58:58PM -0300,
>   Rogerio Brito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >     Dave is impressive, indeed. But Dan's got to get the prize.
> >     Let's see. The man is a teacher, active researcher writing
> >     papers about Number Theory (that's what I want to be when I
> >     grow up) and a better system administrator than most system
> >     administrators out there. Not only that, he knows the finer
> >     points (read: "bugs") about many software releases (namely,
> >     BIND, sendmail, Apache etc) and inconsistences on RFCS.
>
> You forgot to add "Freedom Fighter".

In case others do not know, Dan is famous for going to court with the
US government on a little Freedom of Expression matter. He wanted to
publish a program called "Snuffle." Our government wanted to prevent
the publication of this program. Here's a Google search that returns a
lot of hits:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Snuffle+%2BBernstein&num=10&meta=hl%3Den%26lr%3D

His code is great but IMHO this is by far his most important
contribution.

-John

--
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
   - Voltaire

Are you using syslogd ?

RDA.-

From: Ondrej Sury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Ralf Günthner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Qmail List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: Subject filtering on a relay-only system?

Ralf Günthner wrote:

> Our qmail server is configured to forward every incoming e-mail to our
internal mail server. There are no local user mailboxes. So .qmail files in
users home-directories are out of the question.

> Do still have a chance to filter incoming messages based on subject or
attachment type?

> Otherwise I'd have to look into a content security product. Management is
nervous because of the recent lovebug scare...

You probably want to write wrapper around qmail-remote.
AMaViS for qmail use same technique.

--
Ondrej Sury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Globe Internet s.r.o. http://globe.cz/
Tel: +420235365000 Fax: +420235365009  Planickova 1, 162 00 Praha 6
Mob: +420602667702 ICQ: 24944126      Mapa: http://globe.namape.cz/
NAJDI.TO http://najdi.to/                 PRESS.CZ http://press.cz/

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help,

I'm trying to move a whole load of majordomo lists to ezmlm.  I need
ezmlm to recognize magordomo commands given in the body of the message.

I've read the FAQ's for ezmlm-idx and minordomo but I'm still slightly
confused on how I'm going to convert all the majordomo list files over
to something ezmlm can use and how ezmlm can be persuaded to take the
commands from the message body..  Is there any easy way to do this with
out having to re-input all the old majordomo details such as:

list.config, list.info, list.passwd, list.restrict

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Best regards

Rodney

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 03:36:48PM +0100, Rodney Edwards wrote:

> I'm trying to move a whole load of majordomo lists to ezmlm.  I need
> ezmlm to recognize magordomo commands given in the body of the message.

I've recently been considering a similar move.  I've been tinkering
with the idea of having procmail read messages to the listserver and
then run a shell/perl script which generates the proper ezmlm email.
Obviously not too scalable, but I'm not really concerned with it in my
current environment.

Any better ideas?

MAJ

I have problem like this, I could not send an email to local user mailbox from local
or from remote. The message like below:

    # Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.some-domain.com.
    # I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    # This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

    # <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
    # Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
    # it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)

I have smtp and pop3 in inetd.conf like this:

smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/ ..../tcp-env tcp-env /var/qmail/..../qmail-smtpd
pop3 stream tcp nowait root /var/ ..../qmail-popup qmail-popup mail.some-domain.com
/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/...../qmail-pop3d Maildir    --------{ I take this from
"Life With Qmail"}

I use Maildir and,
In my control/locals is localhost and mail.some-domain.com
user01 has he's home directory.

In my ~/users is "empty"      is this the problem......? I have try to use qmail-pw2u
and I git cdb in ~/users directory. But it 's still doesn't work.

Please help me.

Daniel

http://im.yahoo.com

>     # <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>     # Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A
> for that host,
>     # it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it
> as local. (#5.4.6)
> In my control/locals is localhost and mail.some-domain.com

        This is all pretty clear.

        You don't have some-domain.com in locals.  Perhaps you are operating
under the assumption that since the MX for some-domain.com points to
mail.some-domain.com, then all you need in locals is mail.some-domain.com.
That is an incorrect assumption.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

     I would like to know how to retrive mail from my a qmail server if my client is located in a remote machine.   Will this be done automatically when they connected to my server at port 110 if my client is using netscape or IE.  or Do  I have to configure qmail to retrive mail to them automatically once they connected to me.

     Also, I have tried to "telnet 127.0.0.1 110",  I am able to get in this time.  then, i type the following commands:

  user mark
  ok -->response from my machine
  pass mark
  ok -->response from my machine

  Then nothing happened.  Is this kind of reponse correct ?? if no, what is wrong ??

Thank you

Mark

Looks like you just need to finish the command sequence.

The next command would be STAT which gives you two numbers, how many
messages are waiting, and how many bytes they are.  Next, do a RETR 1 to
get the first message.  DELE 1 will delete it.

                                        Ryan

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Mark Lo wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      I would like to know how to retrive mail from my a qmail server if
> my client is located in a remote machine.   Will this be done
> automatically when they connected to my server at port 110 if my client
> is using netscape or IE.  or Do  I have to configure qmail to retrive
> mail to them automatically once they connected to me.
>
>      Also, I have tried to "telnet 127.0.0.1 110",  I am able to get in
> this time.  then, i type the following commands:
>
>   user mark
>   ok -->response from my machine
>   pass mark
>   ok -->response from my machine
>
>   Then nothing happened.  Is this kind of reponse correct ?? if no, what
> is wrong ??
>

> Thank you
>
> Mark

My exisisting system is sendmail based, and I want to convert to qmail.

my current setup is as follows.
FreeBSD + sendmail 8.8.8. ( we are upgrading to FreeBSD 4.0 )

I currently have virtusertables, ( Kmaildomains hash /etc/mailtable.db )
where;

[EMAIL PROTECTED]    joe
something.com        tom
whatever.net         fred

these are converted into a table, via makemap hash ( not /etc/alias )

so that [EMAIL PROTECTED] goes to user joe
everything else at something.com goes to user tom
anything at whatever.net goes to user fred.

After this, the users .forward file in invoked, ( if found )
and, this calls procmail for most of the users on the server.
the users .procmailrc file is read, and mail is delivered as per the
procmail recipies.

the .forward looks like this.

"|IFS=' ' &&p=/usr/local/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p -Yf-||exit 75
#joe"

What I would like to do, is continue to use a similar method for all my
users, so that they can convert to the .qmail method, at their leisure.
( or mine! )

I dont mind using a .qmail file to replace the .forward, as long as I
can still call procmail, with the users .procmailrc file, so that things
work as is for now.
If I were to do this in a .qmail file, what would it look like?

The documentation seems a bit spread out, with bits and peices here and
there and I am not exactly sure which peices I need to do this.
(fastforward, dot-forward, etc. )

Also, I would prefer to use the default $HOME/Mail for the mail storage,
as long as it does not affect the hundreds of users, who user a number
of various mail software to access our POP servers...  ( Exchange,
Netscape, etc. )

Any words of wisdom along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Many, many thanks in advance.

Blaine

        I'm having a problem I can't seem to find the answer to.  I
have a mail server running qmail.  We'll call it qmail.server.com.  I
get access to the Internet through my ISP (who is on a completely
different network than qmail.server.com), we'll call this one
my.isp.com.  When I send mail through the  my.isp.com's SMTP server
with a FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and a TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED], there
are no errors.  However, when I go to check my mail on
qmail.server.com using port 110, I don't get the original message
that was sent.  All that the message contains are these headers:

Where are the other headers?  Why aren't the message bodies coming
through either?  Any help would be greatly appreciatied.  Thanks in
advance.

Best Regards-
Eric Jennings

unsubscribe

remove

qmail-unsubscribe

Run the following as root:

find / -type f -exec grep defaultdelivery {} /dev/null \;

That should identify the source of the message. Obviously,
/var/qmail/rc should contain a match. Anything else is suspect.

-Dave

Yup, /var/qmail/rc  is there ok.

OK, How's this for suspect ????
/etc/profile.d/qmail.csh:    if ( `grep -c './Mailbox' /var/qmail/defaultdelivery/rc`
) then
/etc/profile.d/qmail.csh:    else if ( `grep -c './Maildir/'
/var/qmail/defaultdelivery/rc` ) then
/etc/profile.d/qmail.csh:    if ( `grep -c './Mailbox' /var/qmail/defaultdelivery/rc`
) then
/etc/profile.d/qmail.csh:    else if ( `grep -q './Maildir/'
/var/qmail/defaultdelivery/rc` ) then
/etc/profile.d/qmail.sh:    if grep -q './Mailbox' /var/qmail/defaultdelivery/rc; then
/etc/profile.d/qmail.sh:    elif grep -q './Maildir/' /var/qmail/defaultdelivery/rc;
then
/etc/profile.d/qmail.sh:    if grep -q './Mailbox' /var/qmail/defaultdelivery/rc; then
/etc/profile.d/qmail.sh:    elif grep -q './Maildir/' /var/qmail/defaultdelivery/rc ;
then

It seems like I'm getting an error message for:

if grep -q './Mailbox' /var/qmail/defaultdelivery/rc; then

If this is the case, I thought that the q switch should suppress such a thing.
Then again, maybe the message is from somewhere else. Which brings to mind
something else... I initially installed Qmail. It seemed to work fine. I
installed vpopmail and qmailadmin. Everything went downhill from there. I then
removed all files (I hope all files) having anything to do with Qmail, Vpopmail
and Qmailadmin and made what I thought was a fresh install of qmail.

Thoughts ??

Regards,

Eric

My system: RH 6.1, dedicated connection.

As per the qmail memphis rpm readme file...

"3) Make sure the command `hostname -f' returns the fully qualified
   domainname of your machine.  An alias (CNAME) will not do."

When i type this command in my server it simply displays
hostname as "ns" and not the fqdn.
There is an entry in /etc/hosts as:
64.66.10.180 ns ns.domain.com

And the etc/HOSTNAME is ns.domain.com

Can i go ahead with the installation of qmail with this setup or
should i make any changes to the hostname ?
Will there be any problem if i force the fqdn by the command
hostname -F /etc/HOSTNAME
Thanks in advance for any help

ksamy
PPPshar- Internet for your LAN with one Internet account
netMailshar -Email for every desktop with one 'Net account.
MailAssistant - Speaking Email Notifier
GetAgain - resume interrupted downloads.
 ___ ___ ___   Internet software "Made in India"
| _ \ _ \ _ \  Visit http://www.pppindia.com/
|  _/  _/  _/  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
|_| |_| |_|    Phone:91-44-4831145,4848328. ICQ 33184480

Long name before short name in /etc/hosts

ie

64.66.10.180 ns.domain.com ns

kw

My system: RH 6.1, dedicated connection.

As per the qmail memphis rpm readme file...

"3) Make sure the command `hostname -f' returns the fully qualified
   domainname of your machine.  An alias (CNAME) will not do."

When i type this command in my server it simply displays
hostname as "ns" and not the fqdn.
There is an entry in /etc/hosts as:
64.66.10.180 ns ns.domain.com

And the etc/HOSTNAME is ns.domain.com

Can i go ahead with the installation of qmail with this setup or
should i make any changes to the hostname ?
Will there be any problem if i force the fqdn by the command
hostname -F /etc/HOSTNAME
Thanks in advance for any help

ksamy

Hi. I'm trying to use 822header in a .qmail file to filter out mail from
certain addresses (mailer-daemon, for example). However, I'm having a
little trouble with the syntax, partly because I'm a miserable shell
programmer. How do I pipe the incoming message through 822header and return
99 on certain conditions?

                              Kai MacTane
                          System Administrator
                       Online Partners.com, Inc.
 From the Jargon File: (v4.0.0, 25 Jul 1996)

finger trouble /n./

Mistyping, typos, or generalized keyboard incompetence (this is
surprisingly common among hackers, given the amount of time they
spend at keyboards). "I keep putting colons at the end of statements
instead of semicolons", "Finger trouble again, eh?".

I have to build a mailserver using qmail.

I installed qmaill ( from the source ) exactly as the document "life with
qmail" from www.qmail.org/ tell me to do.

I use the Maildir format and tcpserver for running the SMTP and POP3
protocol. The server is working, I can send mail to the server and read them
from the server.

My trouble is that when a client is searching for new mails (using POP3) on
the server it takes more than 1Mn 30s to connect the port 110 !!. I
have the same trouble when I send a mail to the server( using SMTP on port
25)

This trouble appears with all of the client I have ( Windows :using Outlook
express, Netscape and Linux: using Netscape)

This is all the more bizarre that currently the mailserver is only manage
an intranet network.

Do have I forget something ??
Or do something wrong ?

Fabrice.
PS: I'm french, so my English is not very good, sorry.

On Wed, 10 May 2000, FabriceK wrote:

Try adding the following switches to tcpserver:

        tcpserver -RH  etc....

This will stop the troubles.  Your server is trying to do a reverse lookup
for the client.  Stop the reverse lookup and the connection will work
fine...

Test with

$ telnet server 110

Good luck,

-Martin

:

--
Martin A. Brown --- Wonderfrog Enterprises --- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am running with B. Guenter's QMAILQUEUE patch with his qmail-qfilter
package and have difficulty when using perl scripts in the filter
train/pipeline. E.g.  with the QMAILQUEUE file containing:

        exec /usr/bin/qmail-qfilter /usr/bin/perl -n -e '{print}'

The remote smtpd session sees:

        $ telnet 192.168.1.11 25
        Trying 192.168.1.11...
        Connected to 192.168.1.11.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        220 raqee.clikx.com ESMTP
        helo dude
        250 raqee.clikx.com
        mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        250 ok
        rcpt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        250 ok
        data
        354 go ahead
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: testing 3

        This a test
        .
        451 qq temporary problem (#4.3.0)

Whereas if I put the equivalent constructs:

        exec /usr/bin/qmail-qfilter /bin/awk '{print}'

or

        exec /usr/bin/qmail-qfilter /bin/cat

There is no problem.

Any ideas why perl causes this error?

--
Quist Consulting                Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
219 Donlea Drive                Voice: +1.416.696.7600

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 07:18:46PM -0400, Russell P. Sutherland wrote:
> I am running with B. Guenter's QMAILQUEUE patch with his qmail-qfilter
> package and have difficulty when using perl scripts in the filter
> train/pipeline. E.g.  with the QMAILQUEUE file containing:
>         exec /usr/bin/qmail-qfilter /usr/bin/perl -n -e '{print}'
> Whereas if I put the equivalent constructs:
>         exec /usr/bin/qmail-qfilter /bin/awk '{print}'
> or
>         exec /usr/bin/qmail-qfilter /bin/cat
> There is no problem.
> Any ideas why perl causes this error?

Nope.  I use perl myself as a filter, so it's not just perl being wierd.
The SMTP error code ("temporary problem (#4.3.0)") indicates that qmail
queue (qmail-qfilter in this case) returned an unrecognized error code
number.  qmail-qfilter returns whatever the last item in the pipe
returns, which should be 0 if your perl is working.
--
Bruce Guenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       http://em.ca/~bruceg/

Mark Lo wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      I am using qmail as my MTA and qmail-pop3 as my MUA.  For client to
> send and receive e-mail from my qmail server by using Netscape or
> Microsoft Outlook as their pop client.  They have to fill out the
> incoming mail server and outgoing mail server.  Does the incoming and
> outgoing mail servers imply that I need to set up two different server
> for them so that they can send and receive e-mail, is that true ??...
> For example, .one qmail server is for outgoing purpose and the other one
> is  for incoming purpose !!!  As a result, I need two qmail server
> located at two different machines !!!

Not neccessarily.  You can have them set incoming and outgoing to
the same name, but don't - if your incoming and outgoing machine are
the same one, give the machine two names.  That way, if you want to
separate the incoming or outgoing servers someday, it's nothing more
than changing a DNS entry.

Eric

--
NEEDHAM'S ELECTRONICS
Device Programmers

Hi,

      I would like to know where is the location of unsent messages.  As
I have read this from the manual...it should be placed under
/var/qmail/queue.  But, in that directory, i couldn't find anything but
i know i have some messages in the queue dir..by looking at my log
file.  Also, under /var/qmail/queue/...i have some sub-directory...such
as info, local, mess, remote.....etc...and under those directory i got
some directories...and the name is 0 10 12 15..etc..  I wonder what is
it..??

Thank You

mark

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 01:00:46PM +0800, Mark Lo wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I would like to know where is the location of unsent messages.  As
> I have read this from the manual...it should be placed under
> /var/qmail/queue.  But, in that directory, i couldn't find anything but
> i know i have some messages in the queue dir..by looking at my log
> file.  Also, under /var/qmail/queue/...i have some sub-directory...such
> as info, local, mess, remote.....etc...and under those directory i got
> some directories...and the name is 0 10 12 15..etc..  I wonder what is
> it..??
Try using /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qread

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

> Thank You
> mark
HTH,
 Steffan

--
http://therookie.dyndns.org

Hi,

      I would like to know the difference between dot-qmail and
Maildrop, since the two are used to filter messages.

Thank you

mark

I am having a small problem when trying to issue the command:

/usr/local/sbin/qmail cdb

I get this error:

tcprules: fatal: unable to parse this line: 127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
/usr/local/sbin/qmail cdb

That's all on one line.  How come it can't parse that line?

james

     Follow the intructions contents in the qmail-howto.html to compile the
rules file: /etc/tcp.stmp.

     tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp

     Bye

lopera wrote:
:Follow the intructions contents in the qmail-howto.html to compile the
:rules file: /etc/tcp.stmp.
:tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp

When I go to the directory "/usr/local/bin" and type your suggestion:

./tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp

I still get the same error:
tcprules: fatal: unable to parse this line: 127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
/usr/local/sbin/qmail cdb

I'm confused.

james

     For example, if you LAN  is  154.0 and your IP adrres for Qmail Host
in internet is 192.168.23.5,  a tcp.smtp file, must be:

127.0.0.1:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
154.0.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
192.168.23.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""

Bye

Hi there,

I made a post the other day to ask about hanging
qmail-smtpd processes problem I'm encountering. I'm still having
the problem here but just found some more 'facts' about
it, so am re-posting this problem with the new info and hope
someone out there happens to know how to explain this.

I'm running qmail1.03 w/tcpserver and vpopmail on a Solaris2.6
box. I found that some of the qmail-smtpd processes get hung
and all these smtpd processes got corresponding qmail-queue
processes. All the hanging smtpd and queue show 'sleeping' when
I use truss to see them and the queue process always finaly went become
a Zombie process after 24hrs. I also tried to check if the messages
have ever been queued and as expected found nothing that could be
the message from the hanging smtp connection in the queue.

It looks like something went wrong between the establishment of
smtp connection and the queue-in process, but it doesn't happen
in every delivery. I also tried to find out in what circumstance
will it occur but failed to figure it out.

Some suggested that just kill the processes and
this is how I am dealing with it but am still wondering if anyone
out there could explain why this is happening and eventually know
some more 'cleaner' method to solve this problem. Also since
the queue-in process is not finished, could I say that no message
is lost due to this problem. ( I mean that from the viewpoint of
the end user who is making a smtp connection to my server, will
something like the user thinks that her/his message was sent
but the message was actually even never queued ?)

Any idea will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

---------
Wang-hua Li

Hi,

    I am tring to develop an email virtual domain.  So, I follow the
example from lwq.  I have put a new domain which is called
"3dsources.com" in /control/rphosts and /control/vitualdomains.  and in
the virtualdomains file I put a line like that "3dsources.com:local"
-->without the quotes.  Then I create a user called local, and run the
command maildirmake..then change the ownership with local.

  Then I try to mail something to 3dsources.com...like
[EMAIL PROTECTED], every mail should go to local if
the domain name is 3dsources.com according to the virtualdomain file, am
i right??

  But, I got the following error messages from my log file, stating that
"sorry Although I am listed as a best preference MX or A for that host,
It is not in my control/local file, so I don't treat it a local.
(#5.4.6)."  I have setup up my DNS record...

   Please help, I don't know what did I do wrong??  Please point it out.

Thank You

mark

Thanks to Mark Lo and Jerry Walsh, (and some others) for suggestions and
help.. looks like I've corrected the error.

For anyone curious, Jerry suggested that I:

Remove the file and start over
in it just put:
127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
save the file as /etc/tcp.smtp
then compile the file with:
tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp

This fixed the problem.

Thanks again.

James

I've fixed the parse problem, which I was hoping was going to fix the
problem I have having with receiving mail, but it didn't.  I've rebooted
since the parse fix.

I can send an email to myself internally, but if I try to send an email to
myself from another server.. it never reaches.

What is the mechanism that allows outside mail to reach a user, such as
[EMAIL PROTECTED]?  I understand that rcpthosts allows relaying.. but that
doesn't control WHO sends mail to me on my server, does it?  If so, this
would mean that I cannot get mail from anyone but who I choose.  This
isn't correct, is it?

I used to be able to receive email when I was using sendmail, so I believe
my MX is set up correctly.  I don't know what to check.

Thanks

James