I have a client that needs various mailing lists and needs to send
around 100,000 messages a day - he needs to handle bounces and
subscriptions automatically-

ezmlm-idx seems perfect but for one thing -
he needs each meesage personalized -to say hi fred - hi barney etc etc
and even personalized in the message body

Id rather him use ezmlm but they insist on this feature -

Theres no problem doing the sending and generation of messages with php
and using postgresql or mysql to store all the data - but I'm worried
that trying to send out 100,00 or more messages that way will be bad for
server performance -

I have no experience in mass email and was wondering if anyone could
suggest the right way to go ?