Hi, all.  I'm running qmail 1.02 on Linux/UltraSPARC.  If I run

/var/qmail/rc &

...by hand, qmail starts and runs flawlessly.  But if I use the init
script that came with the source code:

#!/bin/csh -cf
/var/qmail/rc &

...which is the way I have qmail set to start at boot, I get something
like this, quoting /var/log/messages from my last boot:

May 15 18:04:54 embley qmail: csh
May 15 18:04:55 embley qmail: : error in loading shared libraries:
libtermcap.so.2: cannot open shared object file: Error 23
May 15 18:04:55 embley kernel: VFS: file-max limit 4096 reached
May 15 18:05:09 embley rc: Starting qmail failed

To further confuse matters, if I do this:

# /bin/csh -cf /var/qmail/rc &

...it works just fine as well.

If I call the initscript by hand, I don't see the library message but
qmail does spawn so many copies of itself that I get the max-files
error.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a better way to start qmail at boot?

TIA,
-m
--
Michael Jinks, IB
Systems Administrator, Chicago Center for Computational Psychology