From: Matthew S. Crocker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 8:33 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Qmail on a linux cluster

Hello,

 I'm building a new mail server/pop server cluster.

 The cluster will be built using 5 VA linux boxes and a Network Appliance
NetFiler.  One of the boxes will be a LinuxDirector running the Linux
Virtual Server kernel patch. I want all machines to handle SMTP/POP3/IMAP
using qmail.  User directories will be NFS mounted from the netfiler. Mail
queue's can either be local or NFS mounted.   Has anyone done this?  Are
there any pitfalls I should be aware of?  Can I use the same NFS mounted
mailqueue on all machines?  Will there be a problem with two qmail
processes writing mail to the same user mbox over NFS?  What if a user is
picking up mail via POP from one machine while another machine is writing
mail for that user?  The user password/alias file will be handled from a
MySQL database now, I'll be moving it to Oracle later this year.

-Matt
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com