From: "Jim Breton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 7:52 PM
Subject: applying SMTP SIZE patch

: Hi, sorry for the lame thread, but I'm having a hard time applying the
: patch:
:
: http://will.harris.ch/qmail-smtpd.c.diff
:
: to qmail-smtpd.c.
:
: Note that I downloaded the patch using "wget" and it did not insert any
: extraneous carriage returns, etc. into the file.
:
: The diff, after I download it, is 2463 bytes.  My qmail-smtpd.c is the
: original, unpatched version, and it is 11262 bytes.
:
: Here is the error I get:
:
: $ patch --verbose < qmail-smtpd.c.diff
: Hmm...  Looks like a new-style context diff to me...
: The text leading up to this was:
: --------------------------
: |*** qmail-smtpd.c.orig Mon May 29 11:54:41 2000
: |--- qmail-smtpd.c      Wed May 31 11:44:21 2000
: --------------------------
: Patching file `qmail-smtpd.c' using Plan A...
: Hunk #1 succeeded at 52.
: patch: **** unexpected end of hunk at line 56
:
:
: System is Debian GNU/Linux, potato.  patch --version reports:
:
: $ patch --version
: patch 2.5
: Copyright 1988 Larry Wall
: Copyright 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
:
: This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
: You may redistribute copies of this program
: under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
: For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
:
: written by Larry Wall with lots o' patches by Paul Eggert
:
:
: I have tried various command-line arguments to patch (including -R) with
: no success.  Would someone be kind enough to send me his copy of the
: patched qmail-smtpd.c so I can generate my own diff?
:
: Also if anyone could tell me why this is happening, it would help.  The
: diff itself looks fine to my eyes.
:
: I started applying the patch by hand, which was fine for the first
: (non-mail-rejecting) patch, but this one is getting under my skin with
: the combination of changing line numbers, and the fact that I have no
: idea what "!" signifies at the beginning of a diff line, and that the
: line looks exactly the same as the original, etc..  (My frustration
: tolerance is quite low today.)  ;)
:
: Thanks.
: