On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, John Gonzalez/netMDC admin wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Peter Samuel wrote:
>
> >I've never seen this. How? What operating system? What version of
> >inetd? You've got me curious now.
> >
> >Regards
> >Peter
> >----------
>
> man inetd
>
> pop3 stream tcp nowait.120 root /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env......

Thanks for partially answering my question :) This works for linux, and
others have reported a similar mechanism for FreeBSD, however it
doesn't work for Solaris, and I'd be pretty sure it won't work for
HP/UX, OSF (or whatever Compaq are calling Digital Unix these days) and
any other commercial Unix.

Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Consultant                        or at present:
eServ. Pty Ltd                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +61 2 9206 3410                      Fax: +61 2 9281 1301

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"