Doing some contract work for a local company that does web hosting. They
also handle DNS and act as MX for the hosted domains. I moved them from
an old Solaris 2.4 x86 box (a 486!) running sendmail 8.7 to a slightly
more capable SPARCstation 5 running Solaris 7 with qmail. After much
fiddling I finally saw, with the help of many qmail list denizens, the
light on virtualdomains and had them all set up.

But one particular hosted site is problematic. I will explain: bigco.com
hosts the web site for itco.com, handles their DNS, and acts as MX for
them. No mail for itco is kept locally, all mail is simply forwarded by
the MX to various other ISP-based email accounts. So mail for
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] So my rcpthosts has itco.com
in it, and my virtualdomains has the following mapping:

        itco.com:alias-itco.com

Then I have, in alias' directory, the following file:

        .qmail-itco:com-john.doe

which contains "[EMAIL PROTECTED]". All is fine.

But for some reason itco insists on using "subdomain/machine" names for
some of it's users. For example, while john's email address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED], jane's address is [EMAIL PROTECTED], and alice
and bob use [alice|bob]@sub2.itco.com. Now understand that sub1 and sub2
are not subdomains, nor are the real machines.

So I have ".itco.com" in my rcpthosts to catch all such "subdomains" and
in my virtualdomains I have:

        sub1.itco.com:alias-sub1.itco.com
        sub2.itco.com:alias-sub2.itco.com

with qmail files like so:

        .qmail-sub1:itco:com-jane.doe
        .qmail-sub2:itco:com-alice
        .qmail-sub2:itco:com-bob

all containing the appropriate forwarding addresses. I think this should
all work, but when mail is delivered to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ... it
bounces with a "no such mailbox" error:

Any ideas?

--
Mark Drummond|ICQ#19153754|mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
UNIX System Administrator|Royal Military College of Canada

Please excuse me if I am terse. I answer dozens of emails every day.