At 6:24 AM -0700 6/15/00, mwangu wrote:
>Paul,
>
>Thank you for your response.
>
>Please do not take offence at my conclusion that qmail
>is partly to blame. While my familiarity with MTAs
>stops at sendmail, I am only just getting to grips
>with the workings of qmail (I have been looking at
>this issue for the last 4 days, and yes, I have
>trawled through a mass of documentation.
>
>I can appreciate what you're saying. Now, is there any
>way for me to get qmail to emulate this particular
>feature of sendmailfor the next 2 months while I work
>on ripping out this insidioud accounting application?

You need to find a filter to change octal 200-377 into the equivalent
MIME quoted printable encoding.  There's a perl module at CPAN,
MIME::Decoder::QuotedPrint, part of the MIME-tools package, that
looks like it will do the job.  I think the actual conversion,
though, can be done in a single line of perl, or maybe tr(1) is
enough.

Where to put it is the question only you can decide.  If it's only a
single person or a small number of people that need to see the mail
"correctly", then putting the filter in .qmail should work.  If all
mail needs to be converted, then you can use the default delivery
instruction to do it, but I've never done anything like that myself.

The alternative is to simply install sendmail on the new machine.  I
can't believe there's a machine that runs qmail that won't run
sendmail.  But using a filter is going to be much easier, and much
safer.