> when I try to start qmail I get the following
> error on my screen, scrolling over and over:
>
> supervise: fatal: unable to start qmail-smtpd/run: exec format error
>
> Can someone give me a clue as to what is causing this error?

        The file (/service)/qmail-smtpd/run needs to be a valid executable
file or shell script.  The above message suggests that it is not.

        1) Make sure that the file is executable (ls -l)

        2) Make sure that the script, if it is a script (it should be),
references a valid processor (if the first line says "#!/bin/sh", then make
sure that /bin/sh exists and works).

        3) Make sure that the file is not in DOS text format.  'file
/service/qmail-smtpd/run' might tell you; if you run the 'vim' editor on it
it should tell you at startup time if it is a DOS file, or if you open it in
Emacs it should show up.  This is actually a very likely cause for you.

        Try looking into these things and let us know how it goes.