Both servers are NIS clients from the same master, which happens to be the
NFS server.  So the user information is identical across all machines
involved.  The tcpserver init scripts on the second machine were copied from
the first machine, and so are also identical.   Both good points, but not
the problem, I'm afraid.

Thanks,

Mike