qmail Digest 26 Jun 2000 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 1044

Topics (messages 43610 through 43648):

ungent help needed  for virtual domains please
        43610 by: reach_prashant.zeenext.com
        43617 by: Brett Randall

thanks to all
        43611 by: Jens Georg

Re: Errormsg: Maildir is a directory
        43612 by: Johan Almqvist

Re: INSTALL.maildir - Clairification please!
        43613 by: Mark Thomas
        43614 by: Steffan Hoeke
        43615 by: Mark Thomas
        43618 by: Stefaan A Eeckels

Qmail mail-MUA ./Maildir
        43616 by: Mark Thomas

Qmail as a relay.
        43619 by: Duane Eddingfield
        43620 by: Johan Almqvist
        43621 by: Erwin Hoffmann
        43622 by: Duane Eddingfield
        43623 by: Duane Eddingfield
        43624 by: Johan Almqvist
        43625 by: John White
        43627 by: Duane Eddingfield
        43628 by: Duane Eddingfield

Re: dial on demand (wvdial) and internal mails
        43626 by: Eric Cox

still getting bounce problems
        43629 by: Spiro Harvey

Any differences between virtual domains?
        43630 by: Jianping Song
        43631 by: Brett Randall

stopping qmail-send
        43632 by: Ben Beuchler
        43633 by: Adam McKenna

successful delivery
        43634 by: Kimberly Vher
        43637 by: Steffan Hoeke

First time qmail-mrtg installation
        43635 by: Brett Randall

file permissions problems
        43636 by: prashant

large batch mailings with qmail
        43638 by: Thomas

checkpassword with Ldap
        43639 by: Nguyen Hong Son

Mail queueing in relay host.
        43640 by: mgr.rri.res.in
        43647 by: Andrew Richards

tcpserver
        43641 by: Kimberly Vher
        43642 by: Brett Randall

Running instructions in mail bodies
        43643 by: mack.ms1.hinet.net
        43646 by: chuck

pop3
        43644 by: Kimberly Vher
        43645 by: Brett Randall

pop-3
        43648 by: Kimberly Vher

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hello thanks for the reply
  i am trying to set up virtual domain  with this qmail-qmail-ldap thing

following is the description of what i have configured
right now my mail server is receiving mails for  "firstdomain.com "
perfectly
now as i want to receive mails for "seconddomain.com"  so

in  ~control/virtualdomains
seconddomain.com : user

in ~control/rcpthost
seconddomain.com
hosts.secontdomain.com

then in  /home/user/

created few files ".qmail-seconddomain-*
also tried         " .qmail-*"

but getting following error message

 FAILURE:
SORRY_aLTHOUGH_I'M_LISTED_AS_A_BEST_PREFERENCE_MX_OR_A_FOR_THAT_HOST,/IT_ISNT_IN_MY_CONTROL/LOCAL_FILES_SO_I_DONT_TREATIT_AS_LOCAL

i have gone through around 500 pages of the documentation on setting up
virtual domain (mail) server , but there wastnt any for doing this with
qmail-ldap  so done all the things mentioned there in that documentation  ,
but its still not working  , i dont know now how can do

please tell me what i have forgetten  to configure ,

with warmest regards
Prashantr Desai

I am relatively new to this compared to many others, but how about just
adding seconddomain.com to /var/qmail/control/locals as another host to
deliver mail locally to?

Brett Randall.

Manager
InterPlanetary Solutions
http://ipsware.com/ <http://ipsware.com/>

hi,

just a short note for the list.
thanks to all who supported me the last two weeks with many, many tips
and hints on getting qmail working. two weeks ago i was absolutely new
to qmail, today i have a fine webserver running with a perfectly working
qmail.

thanks a lot to all of you !

--
regards,
jens

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 01:01:00PM +0200, Jens Georg wrote:
> hi johan,
> > Yes: add a trailing slash to wherever you tell qmail to deliver to
> > the Maildir (ie: /home/$USER/Maildir/  and not /home/$USER/Maildir ).
> grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!! this nasty "/" caused me walking through faqs
> and docs the whole afternoon ! thanks a lot for your answer !!!

Yes, I agree that this needs to be clarified in the doc and LWQ.

Gruß aus Schweden,

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist

From: Jianping Song <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, June 26, 2000 11:01 AM
Subject: Any differences between virtual domains?

>My mail server has two domains: a.com and b.com.
>Now I want control the delivery process between these two virtual
>doamins. That is, i want to tell qmail that mails delivered to
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] are forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED] while mails
>delivered to [EMAIL PROTECTED] forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>What can i do, or if it is possible?
>
>-------
>Best regards
>Song                                    mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Per the FAQ, to stop qmail-send, you 'kill' it and wait for it to exit.
What does it wait for before it drops?  And what evil might happen
otherwise?

I ask because the few times I've had problems with it, I've killed it and
waited several minutes.  Never actually exits.  So I 'kill -9' it and it
dies right away.

Gracias,
Ben

--
The spectre of a polity controlled by the fads and whims of voters who
actually believe that there are significant differences between Bud Lite

It waits for all of its children (qmail-local and qmail-remote) to exit.

--Adam

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 10:35:15PM -0500, Ben Beuchler wrote:
> Per the FAQ, to stop qmail-send, you 'kill' it and wait for it to exit.
> What does it wait for before it drops?  And what evil might happen
> otherwise?
>
> I ask because the few times I've had problems with it, I've killed it and
> waited several minutes.  Never actually exits.  So I 'kill -9' it and it
> dies right away.
>
> Gracias,
> Ben
>
> --
> The spectre of a polity controlled by the fads and whims of voters who
> actually believe that there are significant differences between Bud Lite
> and Miller Lite, and who think that professional wrestling is for real, is
> naturally alarming to people who don't.
>               -- Neal Stephenson

Dear Qmail User,

Iam new in using qmail i was using sendmail before but since a lot of
features in qmail i want to migrate from sendmail to qmail using linux.

I have set up all the requirements in Life w/ qmail. Install and follow all
the procedure there.

then i want my delivery to use Maildir.

I make my /var/qmail/rc file liek this :

# Bunch of comments here
exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start './Maildir/' splogger qmail

then i make a maildirmake in my users home directory and in /etc/skel
directory then i create a .qmail file /home and in /etc/skel.

i have now 2 users in my /home

vhernz and darna

total 2
drwx------   3 darna    darna        1024 Jun 26 11:36 darna

(subdir of darna)       drwx------   5 darna    darna        1024 Jun 26 11:36
Maildir

drwxr-xr-x   3 vhernz   vhernz       1024 Jun 26 11:33 vhernz

(sub dir of vhernz)     drwx------   5 vhernz   vhernz       1024 Jun 26 11:33
Maildir

then when i tried to send a mail to both user it was successfully delivered :

below are the log files

Jun 26 11:52:13 qmail qmail: 961991533.453338 info msg 95445: bytes 1311
from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 804 uid 502
Jun 26 11:52:13 qmail qmail: 961991533.566712 starting delivery 4: msg
95445 to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Jun 26 11:52:13 qmail qmail: 961991533.566902 status: local 0/10 remote 1/20
Jun 26 11:52:13 qmail qmail: 961991533.566970 starting delivery 5: msg
95445 to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Jun 26 11:52:13 qmail qmail: 961991533.567032 status: local 0/10 remote 2/20
Jun 26 11:52:17 qmail qmail: 961991537.216666 delivery 5: success:
216.42.80.32_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_ok_961991408_qp_11195/
Jun 26 11:52:17 qmail qmail: 961991537.216878 status: local 0/10 remote 1/20
Jun 26 11:52:17 qmail qmail: 961991537.350163 delivery 4: success:
216.42.80.32_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_ok_961991408_qp_11196/
Jun 26 11:52:17 qmail qmail: 961991537.350353 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
Jun 26 11:52:17 qmail qmail: 961991537.350414 end msg 95445

then when i tried to check the mail in /home/vhernz/Maildir/new or
/home/darna/Maildir/new i found no mail for both users...

what is the problem here where can i see those mails? any misconfiguration
ive done here ?

thank you very much for your help in advance coz i really need to work this
out by the end of the month :)

thanks!

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 11:52:16AM +0800, Kimberly Vher wrote:

> Dear Qmail User,
>
> Iam new in using qmail i was using sendmail before but since a lot of
> features in qmail i want to migrate from sendmail to qmail using linux.
>
> I have set up all the requirements in Life w/ qmail. Install and follow all
> the procedure there.
>
> then i want my delivery to use Maildir.
>
> I make my /var/qmail/rc file liek this :
>
> # Bunch of comments here
> exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
> qmail-start './Maildir/' splogger qmail

Try it without the ' ' before and after the ./Maildir/ directive ...

> then i make a maildirmake in my users home directory and in /etc/skel
> directory then i create a .qmail file /home and in /etc/skel.
What's in the .qmail file ?

> i have now 2 users in my /home
>
> vhernz and darna
>
> total 2
> drwx------   3 darna    darna        1024 Jun 26 11:36 darna
>
> (subdir of darna)     drwx------   5 darna    darna        1024 Jun 26 11:36
> Maildir
>
> drwxr-xr-x   3 vhernz   vhernz       1024 Jun 26 11:33 vhernz
>
> (sub dir of vhernz)   drwx------   5 vhernz   vhernz       1024 Jun 26 11:33
> Maildir
>
> then when i tried to send a mail to both user it was successfully delivered :
>
> below are the log files
>
> Jun 26 11:52:13 qmail qmail: 961991533.453338 info msg 95445: bytes 1311
> from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 804 uid 502
> Jun 26 11:52:13 qmail qmail: 961991533.566712 starting delivery 4: msg
> 95445 to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Jun 26 11:52:13 qmail qmail: 961991533.566902 status: local 0/10 remote 1/20
> Jun 26 11:52:13 qmail qmail: 961991533.566970 starting delivery 5: msg
> 95445 to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Jun 26 11:52:13 qmail qmail: 961991533.567032 status: local 0/10 remote 2/20
> Jun 26 11:52:17 qmail qmail: 961991537.216666 delivery 5: success:
> 216.42.80.32_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_ok_961991408_qp_11195/
> Jun 26 11:52:17 qmail qmail: 961991537.216878 status: local 0/10 remote 1/20
> Jun 26 11:52:17 qmail qmail: 961991537.350163 delivery 4: success:
> 216.42.80.32_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_ok_961991408_qp_11196/
> Jun 26 11:52:17 qmail qmail: 961991537.350353 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
> Jun 26 11:52:17 qmail qmail: 961991537.350414 end msg 95445

According to this, it's a remote delivery ?!?!?
IP 216.42.80.32 resolves to univac.netsville.com while
vv.com resolves to 216.43.80.200 ...

> then when i tried to check the mail in /home/vhernz/Maildir/new or
> /home/darna/Maildir/new i found no mail for both users...
>
> what is the problem here where can i see those mails? any misconfiguration
> ive done here ?
>
> thank you very much for your help in advance coz i really need to work this
> out by the end of the month :)
>
> thanks!
HTH,
 Steffan
--
http://therookie.dyndns.org

Hi

I am attempting to install qmail-mrtg (how little documentation can there possibly be on getting one program working?), and have run into trouble. I am using multilog (from daemontools 0.70) to log to /var/log/qmail/send/ and .../smtpd/, and basically the standard mrtg.cfg that came in the qmail-mrtg package. When I run 'mrtg mrtg.cfg', I get the following erors:

No log files at all. at /usr/local/bin/qmail-mrtg-concurrency line 19.
Could not get any data from external command '...'
Maybe the external command did not start. (Illegal seek)
(Note: it did start, its die() error was the first line of these errors)

Not enough log files to cover 300 seconds at /usr/local/bin/qmail-mrtg-mess line 27.
(Note: there is only one log file! Why the plural? Was qmail-mrtg not made to work with multilog?)
Maybe the external command... (well it did start)

Any ideas anyone? I know qmailanalog is probably better (actually, definitely), but for management's sake graphs make more sense...

Thanks,

Brett Randall

hello friends

i have configured qmail with qmail-ldap on RedHat Linux 6.1 , its working perfectly except one

problem  , user can't download their mails from home/user/Maildir

i have checked the default file permissions  it was 644 for all the files in /new under Maildir

if i changes this to 777 then users are able to download the their new messages

users home directory is owned by users only , and ya also 755 for Maildir

if i dont make the permissions like this then my users are not able to doneload their mails

please help me guys , should i keep 777 and 755 for /new/*  and /Maildir

thanks
prashant desai

A quick (well, perhaps vast) question about doing large batch mailings with
qmail.  I'm administering a qmail box currently and need to prepare to do
mailings for our current user base (which has now grown to 300K)  Actually,
we are planning on doing weekly mailings based after filtering our
database, so realistically, I may need to mail 50-60K users per shot.  I
have never administered this large of a mailing and my previous experience
is simply limited to writing a python script for flat txt files of emails
(at that time, they never exceeded 10,000)

My qmail server sits on a DELL 4300, PIII, 512K box with a 10Mb/s dedicated
connection.  Because of my inexperience in these matters, I'm concerned on
how to approach this task.  How have other people done this?  How much of a
load can qmail take at a time when sending out batches? (ie. I'm worried
about buffering and potential problems caused with long quenes) What's a
good way to calculate the rate of spawning?  (ie the time it will take the
server to send out 100K messages)  Also, what are the methods that most
people use to actually do the mailouts? (ie. my python script)?  Are there
any good resources out there regarding batch mailing procedures?  Any
advice will be very appreciated.

Thank you,
Thomas

Thomas Duterme - IT manager
Madeforchina.com
___________________________
Direct Line - (8610) 6417 2665 (ext) 224
Fax - (8610) 6415 1086
Business email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Company URL: www.madeforchina.com
Get a life at www.51go.com

Hi all
I installed qmail on big server, it work perfectly with SpWebMail, but could
you tell me how to config checkpassword for Authentication with Ldap (open
Ldap)
Thanks a lot

Dear Qmail admins,

        The following would solve my problem.

I just noticed that the mail server xyz.local.net would forward any mails
which is not meant for the local domain to the mail relay host
abc.valid.net.  But abc.valid.net will only receive mails meant for our
domain(listed in the rcpthosts) and hence would reject all other
mails.

        Now how do I receive a mail based on the sender address and then
do the forwarding???  Is there anything like rcpthosts file(this does a
check on the recipient address)?  I mean I want it to check on the sender
address  ;-0

Thankyou,

Jacob.

# Thanks to Alan and SriLanka from whom I got a reply.

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:34:45 +0530 (IST)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Qmail admins,

        We have two computers with one acting as a relay
host(abc.valid.net connected to the internet) and the other, on the local
network(xyz.local.net),  for storing mails.  abc.valid.net is just for
forwarding mails to and from the local mail machine(xyz.local.net).  The
problem I face is that if the internet link is down then the mails sent
bounces back immediately and does not queue up in the abc.valid.net.

        I have setup the control/smtproutes file which has the following
entry:

                :[ip address of the ISP MX]

Should I setup something else?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jacob Rajan,
Systems Manager,
Raman Research Institute,
Bangalore, India.

i installed checkpassword in order to retrieve my mails in outlook or other
mail client

then i creat a /bin/sh file in my /etc/rc.d/init.d directory :

tcpserver 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup YOURHOST \
/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

when i run this i got this problem :

 tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already used

what should i do?

thanks

Make sure that the default POP-3 server is not running from inetd (it will
be an entry like in.pop3d in /etc/inetd.conf). If the other one is running,
remove or hash the comment in the config and killall -HUP inetd.

BrettR
>i installed checkpassword in order to retrieve my mails in outlook or other
>mail client
>
>then i creat a /bin/sh file in my /etc/rc.d/init.d directory :
>
>tcpserver 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup YOURHOST \
>/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &
>
>when i run this i got this problem :
>
> tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already used
>
>what should i do?
>
>thanks

Hi there,

I undertand that this is not really a qmail question but am
still wondering if someone here could give me some suggestioins.

I was asked to do some research on "running instructions contained
in a mail body", that is, users send their requests by mails and
the server parse the messages and then run the instructions
assigned by the requesters in the message body and perhpas if any output, send
the result back by mail to the requesters. It works just like
a mailing list but of course, the commannds I am talking about are not
'subscribe', 'unsubcribe'..., etc. I, personally, don't like
this idea. Firstly I feel that there might be security problems
though I can't exactly point them out now, and also, I think
the same function could be done easier and perhaps
more secure in the form of Web page (w/CGI running). I wonder
if anyone out there really have done something like this ? or
could someone give some reasons why this is not a good idea, so I
could convince my boss ?

Thanks in advance,

-----------
Wang-hua Li

Wang-hua Li,

It's possible to do this. However, I agree that this could pose a security
risk(some old sendmail exploits relied on the mailer to execute commands).
If someone found an exploit in this program OR one of the programs it
executes, they could execute an arbitrary code as that user(i.e. sending a
REALLY long message could overflow a buffer). If the commands are or need
to be run as root, this could mean root access. If you must execute
commands remotely, use SSH, or for a web interface, CGI under HTTPS(with
authentication!). This provides password protection and encryption. This
would also protect the data returned to the user.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Charles Werbick
The Wirehouse

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I undertand that this is not really a qmail question but am
> still wondering if someone here could give me some suggestioins.
>
> I was asked to do some research on "running instructions contained
> in a mail body", that is, users send their requests by mails and
> the server parse the messages and then run the instructions
> assigned by the requesters in the message body and perhpas if any output, send
> the result back by mail to the requesters. It works just like
> a mailing list but of course, the commannds I am talking about are not
> 'subscribe', 'unsubcribe'..., etc. I, personally, don't like
> this idea. Firstly I feel that there might be security problems
> though I can't exactly point them out now, and also, I think
> the same function could be done easier and perhaps
> more secure in the form of Web page (w/CGI running). I wonder
> if anyone out there really have done something like this ? or
> could someone give some reasons why this is not a good idea, so I
> could convince my boss ?
>

> Thanks in advance,

> Wang-hua Li

can i use in qmail the pop3 in sendmail?

If you are using mbox or vsm (var/spool/mail) format, yes. If it is Maildir
format, then no. Read the INSTALL and FAQ files.

Brett Randall