>       We have two computers with one acting as a relay
> host(abc.valid.net connected to the internet) and the other,
> on the local network(xyz.local.net),  for storing mails.
> abc.valid.net is just for forwarding mails to and from the
> local mail machine(xyz.local.net).  The problem I face is
> that if the internet link is down then the mails sent
> bounces back immediately and does not queue up in the abc.valid.net.
>
>       I have setup the control/smtproutes file which has the following
> entry:
>
>               :[ip address of the ISP MX]

        What error message do the logs say on the bounces, and in the log
files?

        One possible explanation is that the ISP mail server isn't willing
to relay mail for you, and is bouncing the messages as relay attempts.

        Unless there's a particular reason you want to relay through the
ISP, you might want to have abc.valid.net just send the mail out directly to
the intended recipients.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]