Bruno Prior wrote:

> Assuming this is out of the window, what are my other options? It looks
> to me that IMAP may be the best bet. Would I be working along the right
> lines if I try the following:
>
> 1. Pick up mail with fetchmail
>
> 2. Pass to Port 25 for qmail to stick the messages in the right mail
> spool.
>
> 3. Use an IMAP server to serve these messages to clients on the various
> machines.

Yep.  It should work.

> The principle seems straightforward enough, but I am confused by the
> practice.
>
> (a) I want to sort the messages for the mailing lists I belong to into
> separate folders. Should I use procmail, or should I use Netscape's
> filters?

Use procmail.

> (b) Can I just create folders for these mailing lists under Netscape?
> How does that work with the IMAP server? Isn't the IMAP server simply
> serving the messages out of the spool file (or directory)? If so, how
> can Netscape create server-based folders?

IMAP protocol can create folders. (And IMAP server will create them
in user home directory.)

> (c) What should I do about sending mail? I could just let Netscape
> connect to my ISP's SMTP server direct (i.e. through my router). Are
> there disadvantages to this? I'm not even sure if I can do this, but
> should I be setting up qmail on my server as the smart-host for the
> other machines, and getting it to queue the outgoing mail for my
> scheduled connections to the ISP mail servers. How would I force a
> connect for an urgent message outside the scheduled connection times, in
> this case? And how would I get the server to recognize unscheduled
> connections, so that it can download messages without waiting for the
> scheduled connection times? (The ip-up script is useless for this,
> right, if I am connecting from each machine directly through a router?)

> (d) How important is it that I use maildir rather than mbox format? All
> the info on the qmail sites seems to imply that it's very important, but
> is maildir really necessary for my meager needs? And would it be more
> complicated to use than mbox files?

No, it is not important.  You have to use Maildir format only if you
want to use qmail-pop3d.

> (e) How easy is it to set this up? I found a link to the RPM of IMAP
> that has been patched to work with qmail on the web-site. I downloaded
> it, but it wants various packages before I can install - principally
> various kerberos packages, I think. Do I really need to get into
> Kerberos? All I want is a simple mail setup. Kerberos seems to be
> overkill, or am I really at a severe security risk without it? Why does
> IMAP need to be patched at all to work with qmail, if qmail is
> configured to use mbox format? Why can't I just have qmail stick mail in
> mbox format spool files in each user's home directory, and then have
> IMAP serve the messages from those files (symlinked to appropriate files
> in /var/spool/mail) to the appropriate user's client?

You can use normal IMAP server (not patched) if you use qmail with mail
spool.
Or you can use courier-imap (http://www.inter7.com/courier-imap/) which
understand both mbox and Maildir format.

> (f) Is there any way to avoid double configuration? The nice thing about
> the original plan, was that there was no need to give user passwords to
> the email client. With the IMAP plan, won't I have to configure each
> email client with the appropriate user name and password - the same user
> name and password that I had just logged in with?

Yes you will have to configure all clients.  Or in case you use
Netscape on both platforms you can configure it to store config
files on samba share.  (At least on linux you just symlink ~/.netscape)

--
Ondřej Surý <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Globe Internet s.r.o.http://globe.cz/
Tel: +420235365000 Fax: +420235365009  Pláničkova 1, 162 00 Praha 6