I recently started monitoring qmail-smtpd's activity via "tcpserver -v",
and at the moment it's burning through a steady 15-20 concurrencies,
scrolling by beyond readability.

Meanwhile, as I "tail -f maillog" for qmail-send's activity, it sits
predominantly idle, with an occasional message to process. Now,
regardless of whether it's local or remote, it should get picked up by
qmail-send, right?

So the question then is, if it's not receiving mail, what is qmail-smtpd
doing? Is it receiving connections from known spammers on my tcp.smtp
list, and dropping them? A quick scan of IP's doesn't jibe with that
theory; plus there's no "access denied" message shown. I'm suspicious of
all the:

        2000-07-17 09:55:44.476546500 tcpserver: end 99787 status 256

Looking at tcpserver.c, I can't tell what this means. I looks like it
has something to do with the wait() function. Can one of you Unix/C
gurus lend a hand?

Thanks :)

Dave