The 'sane' response would be to buy high-end power protection equipment
and use redundant drive configurations (RAID) and only worry about whether
the kernel writes out data consistently or not (and good journalling takes
care of many performance issues here).

Reliability of gigabytes per minute of data is not just a case of
demanding synchronous writes (which is silly in many cases).  Power faults
can be protected against as can many cases of hardware failure.
Performance should not be sacrificed for the cases where someone has a
high case of failure potential (high being relative).