Bruce Edge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can send a message to a remote host using:
>
> echo to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
>
> but I cannot do so from a pop3 MUA, netsacpe.
>
> When I try I get a dialog:
> Sorry that's not in my list of rtpchosts (#5.7.1)

You're testing two different things; qmail-inject injects directly into the
queue.  Netscape uses SMTP to connect to the machine and talk to its smtpd.

> If I add remote.com to rtpchosts it works, but I should not have to add every
> possible mail host on the 'net in this file.
>
> Is this a qmail-pop3d issue? If so where do I tell it to forward mail to
> unknown hosts.

qmail-smtpd is denying relaying, as it's not configured to accept mail for the
recipient domain, as you found out.  Check the file
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts.  It should contain (along with whatever other
_local_ domains you've got (plus virtuals)), plus localhost.

If you're trying to run Netscape on a different machine and inject mail, you'll
have to set up selective relaying.  Dave Sill's "Life with qmail" does a
good job of covering this topic.

Charles