Actually, searching for MXPS (thank-you) in the archives, I found:
... by DJB (in January, 1999):

-X-
I'm going to use a special MX host name format instead of special MX
preferences. The basic options will be

   _magic.s.*   I can receive mail by SMTP
   _magic.q.*   I can receive mail by QMTP
   _magic.qs.*  I can receive mail by QMTP or SMTP

with the possibility of future extensions such as

   _magic.abcdqrsz.*
-X-