(This post also relevant to the "bare LFs and fixcrio ramifications" thread)

Toens,

Hmm, I've been watching this thread with interest. I did post a
similar message a week ago, which you may like to take a look
at in the archive, entitled "Solaris / DoS / Broken bare LF
mailers / thousands of qmail-smtpd&qmail-queue procs", as well
as the referenced posts by TAG on 7th, 8th June. The thread
I started centred on a discussion of bare LFs (contributors
explained the ramifications), and since fixing those (fixcrio),
the systems has been behaving themselves (thank you to all
those who contributed).

Michael Boyiazis did highlight a URL (I think this message
may not have been sent to the list),

   http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q224/9/83.ASP,

which says (I quote), "With the SMTP service version 1877.19, if
you send a message to a server that issues a 4xx response to any
of the following:

     EHLO, MAIL FROM:, RCPT TO:, or DATA

The SMTP service may issue a QUIT, and immediately try again,
resulting in a potential loop."

The actual qmail-smtpd error message re bare LFs is

     451 See http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html

which would trigger the above fault if Microsoft's software does
indeed send bare LFs - contributors suggest it does.

That would appear to be similar to smtpstone-ing a mail server.
It would be interesting to check that smtpstone isn't generating bare
LFs, although I doubt that.

Anyway, part of my reason for posting was to speculate on why
a mailserver might get a flood of SMTP connections. The above
bare LF issue is obviously one, as are smtpstone and a DoS. In
my case, fixing the bare LF problem fixed the many-procs problem,
by fixing the thing that was triggering it, but there may still be
something that is 'broken' in Solaris 2.7. If I'm feeling brave, and
happen to be working with that system again, I'll try smtpstone-ing it...

cheers,

Andrew.