qmail Digest 1 Aug 2000 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 1080

Topics (messages 45873 through 45932):

many processes open
        45873 by: Marco Benetton
        45881 by: Chris, the Young One
        45912 by: andrew.tic.ch
        45921 by: Chris, the Young One
        45929 by: Toens Bueker

qmail ident lookups
        45874 by: wolfgang zeikat
        45875 by: James Raftery

Re: WEIRD BEHAVIOR WITH MY QMAILd!!
        45876 by: Ricardo Cerqueira

Re: Still getting CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily errors
        45877 by: Jens Hafsteinsson
        45878 by: Holborn BongMiester
        45880 by: Jens Hafsteinsson
        45882 by: Jens Hafsteinsson
        45887 by: Jens Hafsteinsson
        45888 by: Chris, the Young One
        45890 by: Petr Novotny
        45893 by: Chris, the Young One
        45895 by: Petr Novotny
        45914 by: asantos
        45916 by: Holborn BongMiester
        45932 by: Jens Hafsteinsson

Re: qmail running; no mail delivery to Maildir
        45879 by: Tim Hunter

Not receiving mail sent through smtpd
        45883 by: Craig L. Ching
        45884 by: Tim Hunter
        45885 by: Chris, the Young One
        45886 by: Chris, the Young One
        45889 by: Craig L. Ching
        45891 by: Chris, the Young One
        45892 by: Craig L. Ching

qmail & dns
        45894 by: reach_prashant.zeenext.com
        45896 by: Chris, the Young One
        45898 by: reach_prashant.zeenext.com
        45915 by: Brett Randall

Re: Open letter
        45897 by: Dave Sill
        45899 by: Michael T. Babcock
        45900 by: Dave Sill
        45901 by: Michael T. Babcock
        45902 by: Ihnen, David

Re: tai64n -- why?
        45903 by: David Dyer-Bennet
        45904 by: Charles Cazabon
        45905 by: David Dyer-Bennet
        45906 by: tony.corp.quepasa.com
        45907 by: markd.bushwire.net
        45908 by: David Dyer-Bennet
        45909 by: Ben Beuchler
        45922 by: Chris, the Young One
        45924 by: David Dyer-Bennet

How I deal with qmail log files
        45910 by: Ihnen, David

Re: qmail-1.03 on Solaris is broken
        45911 by: andrew.tic.ch

TCPserver error (fwd)
        45913 by: Z
        45928 by: Uwe Ohse
        45930 by: Alex Campbell

Re: [offtopic?] RE: Encryption (was: Open letter)
        45917 by: Michael T. Babcock
        45918 by: Adam McKenna
        45919 by: Ihnen, David
        45920 by: Jacob Scott

Duplicate Message-ID question
        45923 by: Sten

qmail-pw2u error
        45925 by: Vincent Danen
        45927 by: Chris, the Young One

question ?
        45926 by: Chad Cranston

Re: The famous [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        45931 by: Eric Cox

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi all
I have a big problem with my mail server.
In a moment I have 328 processes open and the mail server had a problem
with libc.so.6, this is the log in log/current:

@40000000398064413962161c delivery 303: deferral:
bin/qmail-queue:_error_in_loading_shared_libraries:_libc.so.6:_cannot_open_shar
ed_object_file:_Error_23/Unable_to_forward_message:_qq_temporary_problem_(#4.3.
0)./

I have set the file concurencyremote=20 and concurencylocal=10
but how is possible that I have 328 qmail-smtpd process in a time.

Thanks in advantage

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 12:03:12PM +0200, Marco Benetton wrote:
! @40000000398064413962161c delivery 303: deferral:
bin/qmail-queue:_error_in_loading_shared_libraries:_libc.so.6:_cannot_open_shared_object_file:_Error_23/Unable_to_forward_message:_qq_temporary_problem_(#4.3.0)./

Error 23, in Linux (not such a big assumption seeing that your libc is
called libc.so.6 :-)), is ENFILE (File table overflow). Essentially,
your system cannot open any more files. It's just a temporary situation,
just wait it out and hope you don't get more SMTP connections. :-)

! I have set the file concurencyremote=20 and concurencylocal=10
! but how is possible that I have 328 qmail-smtpd process in a time.

concurrencyremote and concurrencylocal do not affect how many
qmail-smtpd processes can be run. Having 328 connections seems to
me to be doable only if you invoke qmail-smtpd via inetd (see
http://cr.yp.to/docs/inetd.html).

Try using tcpserver from the ucspi-tcp package instead. It has a
concurrency limit of 40, by default. See http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html.

Good luck,
        ---Chris K.
--
 Chris, the Young One |_ but what's a dropped message between friends?
  Auckland, New Zealand |_ this is UDP, not TCP after all ;) ---John H.

Chris,

>your system cannot open any more files. It's just a temporary situation,
>just wait it out and hope you don't get more SMTP connections. :-)
Perhaps checkout ulimit -n, which refers to the max. no. of file descriptors
- With Solaris using ulimit -n xxx before calling qmail-start is appropriate,
but with Linux it looks like there is no upper limit (bash offers you a ulimit
command to check this). Maybe there's a hard-coded f.d. limit in the kernel??

>concurrencyremote and concurrencylocal do not affect how many
>qmail-smtpd processes can be run. Having 328 connections seems to
>me to be doable only if you invoke qmail-smtpd via inetd (see
>http://cr.yp.to/docs/inetd.html).
I disagree: I've setup machines handling plenty of connections
using tcpserver - which is, I feel, a far more appropriate way of
calling qmail-smtpd. Have you come across particular problems
with tcpserver that lead you to the 'Need inetd' conclusion? If it's
an issue of timeouts, or [very] slow connections, that should be
the familiar old cookie of the -R and -H options to tcpserver - as
someone who moved from inetd to tcpserver myself, this is a
problem I remember well....

cheers,

Andrew.

----------

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 08:03:41PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
! >your system cannot open any more files. It's just a temporary situation,
! >just wait it out and hope you don't get more SMTP connections. :-)
! Perhaps checkout ulimit -n, which refers to the max. no. of file descriptors
! - With Solaris using ulimit -n xxx before calling qmail-start is appropriate,
! but with Linux it looks like there is no upper limit (bash offers you a ulimit
! command to check this). Maybe there's a hard-coded f.d. limit in the kernel??

Linux 2.2's global fd limit (as opposed to the per-process fd limit
which you set with ``ulimit -n'') isn't hard-coded; you can set it via
/proc/sys/fs/file-max.

! I disagree: I've setup machines handling plenty of connections
! using tcpserver - which is, I feel, a far more appropriate way of
! calling qmail-smtpd.

You can set tcpserver's concurrency to 400, should you so wish. But
by default it will handle only 40, which was why I found 328 a bit
strange. (Maybe it's because my mail server doesn't get that many
SMTP connections, not enough to merit altering the concurrency limit.)

!                      Have you come across particular problems
! with tcpserver that lead you to the 'Need inetd' conclusion?

I didn't say you ``need'' inetd. My conclusion was that with inetd,
there is effectively _no_ concurrency limit, which in my opinion is
a Bad Thing.

        ---Chris K.
--
 Chris, the Young One |_ Never brag about how your machines haven't been
  Auckland, New Zealand |_ hacked, or your code hasn't been broken. It's

"Chris, the Young One" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> !                      Have you come across particular problems
> ! with tcpserver that lead you to the 'Need inetd' conclusion?
>
> I didn't say you ``need'' inetd. My conclusion was that with inetd,
> there is effectively _no_ concurrency limit, which in my opinion is
> a Bad Thing.

>From inetd(8):

The optional `max'' suffix (separated from `wait'' or `nowait'' by a dot)
specifies the maximum number of server instances that may be spawned from
inetd within an interval of 60 seconds. When omitted, `max'' defaults to 40.

By
Töns
--
Linux. The dot in /.

qmail seems to be doing ident lookups with each email a local user sends
via SMTP.

since the ident port has been disabled in our firewall,
these lookups slow sending mail down on the users' client side.

is there a way to run qmail without those lookups?

wolfgang

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 01:24:16PM +0200, wolfgang zeikat wrote:
> since the ident port has been disabled in our firewall,
> these lookups slow sending mail down on the users' client side.
>
> is there a way to run qmail without those lookups?

Hi,

You should use the -R option to tcpserver to stop it makng ident
queries.
See http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/tcpserver.html for the full list of
tcpserver options.

Regards,

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 02:29:20AM +0100, Artur D'assumpção wrote:

[snipped a bunch of badly indented lines]

>                     If I send , LOCALY, a mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or even
>[EMAIL PROTECTED], it will
>                     work with no problems!!
>                     In the other way, if ill do the same thing remotly only
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] will work!! Everything
>                     else , [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] will give
>this error.
>

>194.210.xx.xx_does_not_like_recipient./Remote_host_said:_553_sorry,_that_domain_isn't_in_my
>
>                     _list_of_allowed_rcpthosts_(#5.7.1)/Giving_up_on_194.210.xx.xx./

OK, that's common. Are you sure [EMAIL PROTECTED] won't work? It should. vhost
should fail, but galileu _should_ work. It IS in the rcpthosts file. And, because it's
in control/locals, it should be taken as a local address.

>                     And I have this,
>
>                     [root@sarrazola control]# cat defaultdomain
>                     example.com
>                     [root@sarrazola control]# cat locals
>                     localhost
>                     galileu.example.com
>                     example.com
>                     galileu
>                     [root@sarrazola control]# cat me
>                     galileu.example.com
>                     [root@sarrazola control]# cat rcpthosts
>                     localhost
>                     galileu
>                     galileu.example.com
>                     example.com
>                     [root@sarrazola control]#
>

>                     Has you can see I can't resolve the problem... And I dont
>understand it...

RTFM would be nice. man 5 qmail-control, in particular, is very useful to find out
what each and every one of this file is supposed to do.

RC

--
+-------------------
| Ricardo Cerqueira
| PGP Key fingerprint  -  B7 05 13 CE 48 0A BF 1E  87 21 83 DB 28 DE 03 42
| Novis  -  Engenharia ISP / Rede Técnica
| Pç. Duque Saldanha, 1, 7º E / 1050-094 Lisboa / Portugal
| Tel: +351 21 3166700 (24h/dia) - Fax: +351 21 3166701

>From: "asantos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >named does recursive queries by default according to the docs.
>
>Well.. is your installation the default one? ;)

Yes, I would think so.

> >Everything in named.conf seems fine. The zone "." looks like this:
> >
> >zone "." in
> >{
> >  type hint;
> >  file "db.cache";
> >};
> >
> >and the db.cache file contains the root servers.
>
>In the right directory? I'm grabing at straws, here, but ...

Yes, it is in the right directory.

> >Well, if the problem lies with my resolver, are there any tools that I
>can
> >use to simulate what qmail is trying to do? ping and nslookup seem t be
> >working fine.
> >Maybe some simple source code that I can fiddle with to figure this out?
>

>The main difference between qmail and other software re DNS is that qmail
>doesn't give a hoot about the /etc/hosts file. Everything is done through
>DNS. As things stand now, I'd dump bind and try djbdns... unless you can
>get
>someone to debug bind for you.
>
>The tests I've done with triton.axon.is using nslookup did ok. It's even
>recursive. dnsq concurs, everything seems ok. If this was djbdns, with its
>clearer binding to interfaces, I'd say that your DNS server is ok for
>outside queries, but not correctly configured for local queries, and point
>the proverbial finger at the culprit.
>
>Next thing I'd suspect would be libc upgrade problems... what OS are you
>running? I couldn't identify it remotely. It looks like Linux 2.2.14,
>but...
>try to reinstall your libc's.

This thought has bee creeping up on me since yesterday. I'm a bit keen on
sticking with bind, so I will check on my libs first. I'm running Linux
2.2.16 (RH6.1 at heart).

>Did you install qmail from source or using a binary package?
>

>From source, but compiled on a different machine (the user and group match).

Thanks,
Jens

Jens Hafsteinsson wrote:
> >In the right directory? I'm grabing at straws, here, but ...
>
> Yes, it is in the right directory.

You all may be barking up the wrong tree (there again, so could I
:). Whats the address that getting the CNAME lookup failure. What
does qmail-qstat give?

I'm intrested to whats cuasing the CNAME errors.

Regards,

D.

>From: Holborn BongMiester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>You all may be barking up the wrong tree (there again, so could I
>:). Whats the address that getting the CNAME lookup failure.

I've tried several addresses, both local to my root domain and external.
Example domains are dimon.is and abacus.com. All fail with the CNAME error.

>What does qmail-qstat give?

qmail-qstat gives the following:

messages in queue: 2
messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0

Jens

>From: Holborn BongMiester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > >You all may be barking up the wrong tree (there again, so could I
> > >:). Whats the address that getting the CNAME lookup failure.
> >
> > I've tried several addresses, both local to my root domain and external.
> > Example domains are dimon.is and abacus.com. All fail with the CNAME
>error.
>
>Okay. What OS?

At my end or theirs?
My end is Linux (2.2.16, glibc 2.1.2) and dimon is Linux (version ?). I
don't know about abacus.

> > >What does qmail-qstat give?
> > >

> > qmail-qstat gives the following:
> >
> > messages in queue: 2
> > messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0
>
>So two waiting to go.

I've clean the queue several times just to keep the log managable. These are
the most recent messages.

What kind of preprocessing does qmail do?

Jens

>From: Holborn BongMiester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Do you have an nsswitch.conf in your /etc/ dir? Make sure it has:
>
>hosts:      files dns
>
>as the hosts line. This means it will first attempt to resolve the entry
>in /etc/hosts if not it tries dns.

The hosts line in nsswitch.conf reads:

hosts:  files nisplus nis dns

I don't use NIS.

>Them in ya resolv.conf you'll want:
>
>nameserver 127.0.0.1

Ok. I had 'search axon.is' and 'nameserver 194.144.127.194'. Tried to also
remove search but it didn't change anything. Now I only have 'nameserver
127.0.0.1'.

>That _should_ be your resolv set up correctly, what does nslookup -d -q=mx
>abacus.com give?

nslookup -d -q=mx abacus.com.

;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa, IN, PTR)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 15582, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 2,  additional = 2

    QUESTIONS:
        1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
        name = localhost
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
        nameserver = triton.axon.is
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
    ->  0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
        nameserver = sprettur.isnet.is
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
    ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
    ->  triton.axon.is
        internet address = 194.144.127.194
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
    ->  sprettur.isnet.is
        internet address = 193.4.58.19
        ttl = 15853 (4h24m13s)

------------
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, abacus.com, IN, MX)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 15583, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 2,  authority records = 3,  additional = 5

    QUESTIONS:
        abacus.com, type = MX, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  abacus.com
        preference = 10, mail exchanger = merc91.us.sas.com
        ttl = 28300 (7h51m40s)
    ->  abacus.com
        preference = 10, mail exchanger = merc92.us.sas.com
        ttl = 28300 (7h51m40s)
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  abacus.com
        nameserver = LAMB.sas.com
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)
    ->  abacus.com
        nameserver = SCHAF.sas.com
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)
    ->  abacus.com
        nameserver = BLEAT.sas.com
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)
    ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
    ->  merc91.us.sas.com
        internet address = 149.173.6.1
        ttl = 28398 (7h53m18s)
    ->  merc92.us.sas.com
        internet address = 149.173.6.2
        ttl = 28398 (7h53m18s)
    ->  LAMB.sas.com
        internet address = 149.173.1.1
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)
    ->  SCHAF.sas.com
        internet address = 212.185.185.19
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)
    ->  BLEAT.sas.com
        internet address = 149.173.1.4
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)

------------
Non-authoritative answer:
abacus.com
        preference = 10, mail exchanger = merc91.us.sas.com
        ttl = 28300 (7h51m40s)
abacus.com
        preference = 10, mail exchanger = merc92.us.sas.com
        ttl = 28300 (7h51m40s)

abacus.com
        nameserver = LAMB.sas.com
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)
abacus.com
        nameserver = SCHAF.sas.com
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)
abacus.com
        nameserver = BLEAT.sas.com
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)
merc91.us.sas.com
        internet address = 149.173.6.1
        ttl = 28398 (7h53m18s)
merc92.us.sas.com
        internet address = 149.173.6.2
        ttl = 28398 (7h53m18s)
LAMB.sas.com
        internet address = 149.173.1.1
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)
SCHAF.sas.com
        internet address = 212.185.185.19
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)
BLEAT.sas.com
        internet address = 149.173.1.4
        ttl = 172296 (1d23h51m36s)

> > >So two waiting to go.
> >
> > I've clean the queue several times just to keep the log managable. These
>are
> > the most recent messages.
>
>*nods* I can imagine it's a bit of a nuisence :(
>
> > What kind of preprocessing does qmail do?
>
>Preprocessing? You mean before sending mail out 'to the world'?

Yes. qmail-qstat says it has 0 preprocessed messages in the queue but 2
waiting to be sent. I was just wondering if qmail did some header building
or something based on information it had at the time. Say that I now change
my setup in some way but that change isn't reflected in the old messages in
the queue as the have already been preprocessed, so next time qmail tries to
deliver them, they fail.

Jens

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 03:11:14PM +0000, Jens Hafsteinsson wrote:
! Yes. qmail-qstat says it has 0 preprocessed messages in the queue but 2
! waiting to be sent. I was just wondering if qmail did some header building
! or something based on information it had at the time.

If I remember right, preprocessing (which is done by qmail-queue)
involves determining whether a message is local or remote.

!                                                       Say that I now change
! my setup in some way but that change isn't reflected in the old messages in
! the queue as the have already been preprocessed, so next time qmail tries to
! deliver them, they fail.

This happens if you change /var/qmail/control/locals so that the
notion of what's local is changed. Other than that I can't see how
else it can happen.

See INTERNALS in the qmail distribution.

        ---Chris K.
--
 Chris, the Young One |_ If you can't afford a backup system, you can't
  Auckland, New Zealand |_ afford to have important data on your computer.

--
Petr Novotny, ANTEK CS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 05:33:39PM +0200, Petr Novotny wrote:
! No, it's done by qmail-send. (qmail-queue writes the message into
! the queue and pulls the trigger; that's all.)

Having just peek at INTERNALS again, I agree. My mistake.

! DJB sais that qmail-2.0 will handle this situation better. (Like, you
! want to ditch all mails going to aol.com; once they're
! preprocessed, you can't just put aol.com in virtualdomains and
! /dev/null the messages locally; you must first re-inject the
! messages, so that local/remote decision is retried.)

At the moment though, as far as I know, the messages get sent pretty
much straight after preprocessing. Just how do you get the messages
``reinjected''? (Please don't tell me it's in the FAQ. :-))

        ---Chris K.

From: Jens Hafsteinsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Did you install qmail from source or using a binary package?
>>

>From source, but compiled on a different machine (the user and group
match).

Right.

A ldd qmail-remote on my machine gives me:

libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x40019000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40027000)

I bet you a eider feather against a authentic Sakenussem scroll that your
problem is right there on the first line: different versions of libresolv.

Armando

asantos wrote:
> I bet you a eider feather against a authentic Sakenussem scroll that your
> problem is right there on the first line: different versions of libresolv.

Agreed. After confirming his resolv was setup and functioning, I suggested
a recompile (if on the same box) without and LD_LIBRARY_PATH and after
rerunning ldocnfig as root (he was on Linux so no need for the -R :)

Failing that a truss/strace and actually see what it's up to.

Regards,

D.

>From: "asantos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>A ldd qmail-remote on my machine gives me:
>
>libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x40019000)
>libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40027000)
>/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
>
>I bet you a eider feather against a authentic Sakenussem scroll that your
>problem is right there on the first line: different versions of libresolv.

ldd qmail-remote on triton gives

libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x40015000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40025000)

ldd qmail-remote on the machine I compiled it gives

libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x40018000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40028000)

Running ldd -v shows the same version numbers on both systems.

I'll try and move qmail to another machine that is more similar to the one I
compiled it on and see how it runs there.

Thanks,
Jens

Isn't this a FAQ somewhere?

Double check your /var/qmail/rc
make sure you have ./Maildir/ with the ending /
otherwise it thinks its delivering to a file

Date: 1 Aug 2000 02:20:39 -0000
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: x

===header 2===
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 1 Aug 2000 02:20:39 -0000
To: x

--
#include <disclaimer.h>                               /* Sten Drescher */
[The Internet is] like a library in Resident Evil.

I'm getting this error:

qmail-pw2u: fatal: unable to find alias user

I'm calling it like this:

#!/bin/sh
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pw2u </etc/passwd >/var/qmail/users/assign &&
qmail-newu

In /etc/passwd I have this:

alias:x:400:401::/var/qmail/alias:/bin/true

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  qmail won't deliver mail and
I get this in my logfile:

delivery 34: deferral: Trouble_reading_users/cdb_in_qmail-lspawn./

I've never encountered this error before but, mind you, I've never
used qmail-pw2u before.  Any ideas?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
Freezer Burn BBS:  telnet://bbs.freezer-burn.org . ICQ: 54924721

Current Linux uptime: 2 days 5 hours 31 minutes.

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 11:12:54PM -0400, Vincent Danen wrote:
! In /etc/passwd I have this:
!
! alias:x:400:401::/var/qmail/alias:/bin/true

Can you please run qmail-showctl and list the output of the line
``user ids''. The first number shown has to be 400, in your case.

Also, type ``ls -dln /var/qmail/alias'' and make sure it says 400
in the third field.

        ---Chris K.
--
 Chris, the Young One |_ Never brag about how your machines haven't been
  Auckland, New Zealand |_ hacked, or your code hasn't been broken. It's
http://cloud9.hedgee.com/ |_ guaranteed to bring the wrong kind of
 PGP: 0xCCC6114E/0x706A6AAD |_ attention. ---Neil Schneider

I'm having problems w/ vpasswd

the binary file for vpasswd (to change the password of a vpopmail user)
is located in /home/vpopmail/bin
but the users are located in /home/vpopmail/domains/foo.com
how can i use the vpopmail and vadduser  ?? .... it does not specify any syntax
i need to add users and change password for vpop users from console.
Thanx in advance

Chad

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> I have talked to the original dns admins.
> to clear up the old dns records so that the MX and A records point to our new
> dns. but still seem to get bounced email when it goes thru the gcs.gateway(who
> owns it? i don't know).

I've attached the bounce message from "gcs.gateway" (really ns.albertsons.com)
for your perusal...

> I am currently working with the albertsons email
> admins. to try and track where the problem lies. I appreciate your patience
> and understand your frustration.

What I don't understand is how list.cr.yp.to is sending the mail into
albertsons.com - I don't think it is.  Are you sure you don't have a
smtproute (or equivalent sendmail construct ) pointing into albertsons.com?

In any case it's still broken - I've had to firewall 167.234.1.10
because I got sick of seeing it in my logs - sorry...

I also don't understand how 167.234.1.10 (or something in there somewhere)
is sending bounces back to the people in the From: header instead of the
envelope sender, which would have sent it harmlessly back to list.cr.yp.to
(except that you would have been automatically unsubbed from the list :),
and avoided this whole thing...

dream:/ # nslookup -type=MX amstr.com
amstr.com       preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail2.pilot.net

dream:/ # telnet mail2.pilot.net 25
220 mail01-oak.pilot.net ESMTP Sendmail; Tue, 1 Aug 2000 01:43:48 -0700 (PDT)
Authorized Use Only

Ahem. 'nother point for qmail...  :)

Eric

Date: 22 Jul 2000 15:32:42 -0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*** This message originated by GCS Client Services ***

----- Delivery could not be made to the following recipients -----
Invalid Recipient: MichaelG  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  (unrecoverable error)
Invalid Recipient: qmail  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  (unrecoverable error)

RFC822 Header may follow:

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:30:23 -0700
From: (Eric Cox) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]