On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 07:27:19PM -0400, Dale Miracle wrote:
> I have one person that is inconsistently getting the following error
> when trying to send mail.
>
> mail server responded
> 4.7.1 please try again later
> please verfy that your email address is correct
> in your mail perferences and try again

Is it really _your_ qmail server that gives this status code? If so - some
patches must have been applied to vanilla qmail 1.03 as this code is not included
in the original distribution.

And how is she getting this error? With a bounce or as a status code when
sending via SMTP?

According to RFC1893 <http://rfc1893.x42.com/> status code (#4.7.1) means
a combination of the following paragraphs, i.e.
"Persistent Transient Failure; Delivery not authorized, message refused".

    4.X.X   Persistent Transient Failure
       A persistent transient failure is one in which the message as
       sent is valid, but some temporary event prevents the successful
       sending of the message.  Sending in the future may be successful.

       X.7.1   Delivery not authorized, message refused
          The sender is not authorized to send to the destination.
          This can be the result of per-host or per-recipient
          filtering.  This memo does not discuss the merits of any
          such filtering, but provides a mechanism to report such.
          This is useful only as a permanent error.

/magnus

--
http://x42.com/