On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 07:08:28AM -0500, Mate Wierdl wrote:

> BTWY, I know many people are attached to using DNS for rbl lookups,
> but would not it be relatively simple to implement a server software
> using tcpserver that would just lookup an IP number in a .cdb database
> of IP numbers, and send an appropriate response?  A client might be
> similarly simple to implement using tcpclient.

That would not allow for the rapid changes necessary in a blackhole
list.  Imagine you are an ISP with several thousand customers.  Through
an oversight, your mail server is blacklisted.  Would you rather wait
for the tens or hundreds of thousands of sysadmins out there
administering mail servers to remove you from their blackhole list or
just submit it to the maintainer of the list and have it fixed in minute
or hours?

Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101