We have just implemented a system virtually exactly like this. It took me
about three weeks to research, design, implement and test. I have been
planning on writing a HOWTO but life is just soooo hectic...

It implements a combination of qmail, fastforward, NIS, NFS, SMTP routing,
and all with a plan of maximum stability and minimum bandwidth. I do have a
fair bit of documentation on it that I've written up for the organisation,
since it is a fairly complex system to set up (but very easy to
maintain...the head of IT loves it!). It is called a REDES...a Reliable and
Efficient Distributed E-mail System, which is made for sharing mail for one
domain around a building, a city (this is what we do), a country, or the
entire globe (although with the latter two security can become an issue
:> ). It also supports the ability to forward other domains to their
relevant users in the case of changing domains from older ones in some
locations.

If you are interested in this, please let me know and I'll forward the doco
to you. AND if anybody else is interested in preparing a HOWTO for it,
please let me know (with reasons) and I'll consider it...

/BR

Manager
InterPlanetary Solutions
http://ipsware.com/