qmail Digest 21 Aug 2000 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 1099

Topics (messages 47042 through 47070):

Re: why they reject my mail
        47042 by: Alexander Jernejcic
        47045 by: Ricardo Cerqueira
        47049 by: Scott D. Yelich

qmail and MRTG
        47043 by: pgracia.amira.es
        47046 by: Magnus Bodin
        47048 by: Sean C Truman
        47069 by: pgracia.amira.es

Cluster Was logselect
        47044 by: Sean C Truman

urgetnt help !!!!!!!!!
        47047 by: prashant

Re: Queue Time
        47050 by: richard.illuin.org

Re: Linux Mandrake qmail packages available
        47051 by: Vincent Danen
        47062 by: Gerrit Pape

php maildir support
        47052 by: Thilo Bangert

/var/qmail/users/assign
        47053 by: jme

assign problem
        47054 by: Clemens Hermann
        47070 by: Andrew Richards

qmail uses FQDN when sending from PHP
        47055 by: J!M
        47056 by: Alexander Pennace
        47058 by: J!M

newbie maildir question
        47057 by: J!M
        47059 by: Charles Warwick
        47060 by: Ben Beuchler

urgent help required
        47061 by: reach_prashant.zeenext.com

RFC2487 TLS authenticated SMTP relay
        47063 by: Jamie Heilman
        47064 by: Krzysztof Dabrowski
        47065 by: Jamie Heilman

very urgent help required
        47066 by: reach_prashant.zeenext.com

friends very urgent help required
        47067 by: reach_prashant.zeenext.com
        47068 by: Brett Randall

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hi,
some MTA's check the ip of the sending MTA against the name with a reverse lookup.
IMHO you should send your mails via the MTA of
you ISP. just put the following line into ~/qmail/control/smtproutes
:mailserver.your.isp
and qmail will happily send all mails to the mailserver of your isp. this one should
be known worldwide.

hope that helps
:) alexander

It seems to be a problem with your MTA. From the headers of your mail:

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Your host is identifying itself as localhost.localdomain.

RC

--
+-------------------
| Ricardo Cerqueira
| PGP Key fingerprint  -  B7 05 13 CE 48 0A BF 1E  87 21 83 DB 28 DE 03 42
| Novis  -  Engenharia ISP / Rede Técnica
| Pç. Duque Saldanha, 1, 7º E / 1050-094 Lisboa / Portugal
| Tel: +351 21 3166700 (24h/dia) - Fax: +351 21 3166701

PGP signature

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi
> Sometimes when I send mail to different people a few messages
> are coming back to me as not sent. The reason is I guess everytime
> the same (although the qmail's messages differ a little bit).
> And these qmail's notes are like these two:
> Connected to xxx.xx.xx.xx but sender was rejected. Remote host said:
> 501 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ... Sender domain must exist.
> Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but sender was rejected. Remote host said:
> 553 5.4.3 Policy analysis reports DNS error with your source domain.
> I do not understand this. Most of my messages is posted without any
> problems. Always I edit mail in mutt and I use option "edit headers"
> to be able to send e-mails to for example this list. I do not have
> my own domain name because I connect to internet via modem and rather
> seldom. So how is it possible that some hosts know my real FQDN
> (although I edit headers of my all messages) and why they reject
> my e-mails? And others do not do it - why? And maybe some of you
> know what can I do to fix this problem with domain name.
> Thank you for help,
> qba

I've sent two emails to the same place... and had one come back
with this error and the other make it through.  Now, although I
can't say 100% that it was the first that came back and the
second that got through, one would think that would be the only
way a mail should fail like that.

I want to say that the first made it and the second failed...

Scott

Hello,

        I'm using a couple scripts that should push qmail logs into MRTG but I am having no luck. All I got is 0 0 all the time. One of the scripts is from prodigysolutions and the other from x42.com. Anyway the only working part I have is the queue size but nothing else works. I use cyclog. Anyone can help me please?
Paco Gracia
Technical Director
Amira Sistemas

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 01:54:24PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
>         I'm using a couple scripts that should push qmail logs into MRTG
> but I am having no luck. All I got is 0 0 all the time. One of the scripts
> is from prodigysolutions and the other from x42.com. Anyway the only
> working part I have is the queue size but nothing else works. I use
> cyclog. Anyone can help me please?

The one present at http://x42.com/qmail/
are still only for cyclog so you should definitively have a chance.

Does the script run from crontab have reading rights?

/magnus

--
http://x42.com/
http://x42.com/qmail/

This runs off multilog. Use multilog. it comes with daemontools.

Sean

Sean Truman
        I'm using a couple scripts that should push qmail logs into MRTG but I am having no luck. All I got is 0 0 all the time. One of the scripts is from prodigysolutions and the other from x42.com. Anyway the only working part I have is the queue size but nothing else works. I use cyclog. Anyone can help me please?
Paco Gracia
Technical Director
Amira Sistemas

>The one present at http://x42.com/qmail/
>are still only for cyclog so you should definitively have a chance.
>
>Does the script run from crontab have reading rights?
>
>/magnus

        The mail logs are owned by qmaill user. I ran the script from qmaill and also from root with no luck at all. Even when I use the command line "qmail-mrtg-concurrency /var/log/qmail" I got 0 0.

This is how cyclog is invoked...

  502 ?        S      0:00 supervise /var/lock/qmail qmail-start ./Maildir/ accustamp qmail
  503 ?        S      0:00 cyclog -s 1000000 -n 10 /var/log/qmail

Any idea?

Paco Gracia
Director Técnico
Amira Sistemas

Hey russell,

     We have serveral customer running 300+nodes web farms. Every node is
attached to a central file system (Some runing HP - XP256) For reporting We
just run a cron that parse's the log files and inserts a row into a oracle
table.  then our customers run whatever report wizard they want.

Sean Truman
www.prodigysolutions.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: 21 Aug 2000 03:50:28 -0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: the subject
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here is a test of the PHP email system.

******************** End example *****************

In the original message, the From, ReplyTo, and Sender messages
should contain margecares.com, rather than samurai.dynamisys-
llc.com.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
J!M

> What are you using to inject messages with, SMTP, the sendmail
> wrapper, or qmail-inject? And what exactly is being rewritten, the
> message from header or the envelope sender?
>
> If you are using SMTP or the sendmail wrapper, consider calling
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject directly. As discussed in man
> qmail-inject, it will normally preserve the message from header and
> set the envelope sender to what is in the return-path header.

Hi all,

I selected qmail as my mailserver after readiung that it would easily
support multiple virtual domains using it's maildir directory system,
rather than relying on system users for its delivery. I am setting up
a server which will only need to send from my PHP webserver. and
a limited number of addresses, yet need to receive mail for
hundreds of clients (they all send through their dial-ujp provider). I
want to make account creation and maintenance as painless and
quick as possible, most likely through a PHP script, which seems
easy enough by exec-ing out to the users utility, however I'm a little
baffled...

What is the specific syntax of the Users file? Can I add the
VirtualDomain name as part of the user ID?
Would I be able to create a single qmail user in a qmail group that
all message processes run under?

It is really important to me that I be able to have identical user
names across domains (for instance, all domains I host have an
[EMAIL PROTECTED] address), and that setting up new users be
as painless as possible.

I'm sure there are resources out there that explain what I am doing,
but have yet to discover them. If anyone can nudge me in the right
direction, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
J!M

Check out the VMailMgr program at www.vmailmgr.org.  It gives you the
capability to add users to virtual domains, and pop the accounts, with the
same username across several domains.  It also has PHP library support :)

Regards,

Charles Warwick
(System Administrator - DoveNetQ)

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 08:40:01PM +0000, J!M wrote:

> It is really important to me that I be able to have identical user
> names across domains (for instance, all domains I host have an
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] address), and that setting up new users be
> as painless as possible.

Look into vpopmail w/ qmailadmin.  It has all the functionality you're
looking for already debugged and ready to go.

www.inter7.com/vpopmail
www.inter7.com/qmailadmin

Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101

   hello friends

   i am running qmail-1.03 applied qmail-ldap-2000601.patch ,

i have only single domain , with around 200,000 users , now i want that
mails for : [EMAIL PROTECTED]  will gets forwaded to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 ,

 i have specified this in ldap  mailforwarding attribute , but log shows no
mailbox by that name , do i need some entry in my ldap which matches this
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mail address ,  i already have entry for
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with mailforwarding address as usererver1.domain,

  what i wanna achive is once mails accepted by my single mail server which
i have specified in MX , then this mail server should forward
mails  for [EMAIL PROTECTED]  to host [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  depending users ldap entries  ,and store the
message there in "Maildir" for this perticular user

  how can i achive , or is there any other work around , please reply me as
early as possible

 thanks
Prashant Desai

So I applied the RFC2487 patch from Frederik Vermeulen, and it works really
well from what testing I've done at allowing SSL tunnels between MTAs.  I
haven't had any problems with that functionality.  Now I'm trying to use
the client authentication aspect of the patch to provide for authenticated
relaying.  The good news is that it works great with Netscape Communicator.
The bad news is that I can't make Outlook Express work at all.  The really
bad news is that I /need/ Outlook Express to work.

For starters, if there's interest I could probably be persuaded to write up
a HOWTO on how I got all this configured and [mostly] working.

But for now here's my setup and the problem I'm running into:

Let me start by saying that my goals here do not include digital signatures
on my outgoing mail for verification purposes.  All I wanted to do was to
open my relay to roaming users who are forced to work under ISPs that
enforce (IMO) draconian From header policies.  (I understand their arguments,
but *I* wouldn't pay for that kind of service.)  I don't really like the
POP before SMTP concept, its not that it wouldn't work for me, its just
that using TLS seemed so much cooler.  I haven't tried the "Authenticated"
SMTP patches, I get the feeling that those methods aren't really standards
drivin. (anyone?)  So that being said ...

I've managed to cook myself up my own CA.  I added this cert to Netscape's
and IE's known root authorities.  I then proceeded to cook up a self signed
cert for qmail.  No probs there, infact I can send mail over SSL from my
private network which is allowed to relay through my masquerading
firewall/mail server.  So then I added my CA's cert to
control/clientca.pem, I figure as I only want people I've OK'd to relay
through me the only CA I'll verify is my own.  I added my email address to
control/tlsclients as per directions from Fredrik's patch.  Next I cooked
up a personal cert for me (signed by my CA), converted it to pkcs#12, and
installed it into Netscape's personal cert db, then into IE's.  "Simple"
right?

Next I tried to send a message from each client.  Navigator pops up this
quaint little window that says "The site 'audible.transient.net' has
requested a client authentication."  Then it lets you inspect the server's
cert, choose a client cert of your own, and continue or cancel.  Pretty
slick...  it'd be nice if it didn't ask me which cert to use every time I
sent a message, but then seeing as it actually works I'm not going to
complain too loudly.  The message gets relayed correctly, the headers
include information about the encryption and relay user exactly like
Frederik said they would.  Outlook Express (5.50.4133.2400) however just craps
itself with the following:

inactivity. Subject 'microsoft sucks', Account: 'testing', Server:
'audible.transient.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error
Number: 0x800CCC0F

The error number (from the M$ knowledge base) is like "connection closed"
or something like that.  When I turn on Outlooks SMTP logging I see:

SMTP: 07:08:39 [rx] 220 audible.transient.net ESMTP
SMTP: 07:08:39 [tx] EHLO stinkfoot
SMTP: 07:08:39 [rx] 250-audible.transient.net
SMTP: 07:08:39 [rx] 250-PIPELINING
SMTP: 07:08:39 [rx] 250-STARTTLS
SMTP: 07:08:39 [rx] 250 8BITMIME
SMTP: 07:08:39 [tx] STARTTLS
SMTP: 07:08:39 [rx] 220 ready for tls
SMTP: 07:08:39 [tx] HELO stinkfoot
SMTP: 07:08:39 [rx] 250 audible.transient.net
SMTP: 07:08:39 [tx] MAIL FROM: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
SMTP: 07:08:39 [rx] 250 ok
SMTP: 07:08:39 [tx] RCPT TO: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

And thats it.  Thats the last thing in the log, which makes me think that
perhaps Outlook Express just can't handle the client cert negotiation and
bombs out?  I don't really know.  Seeing as its all encrypted by that point
I can't really sniff the wire.

So the question of the day - has anyone else run into this, and more
importantly figured out a way around it?  Frankly I think TLS authenticated
relays would be an incredibly snazzy way to handle roaming users, if only I
could make it work with the mail clients that would be using it!

--
Jamie Heilman                               http://wcug.wwu.edu/~jamie/
"It's almost impossible to overestimate the unimportance of most things."

>that using TLS seemed so much cooler.  I haven't tried the "Authenticated"
>SMTP patches, I get the feeling that those methods aren't really standards
>drivin. (anyone?)  So that being said ...

they are :) SMTP AUTH is documented in ESMTP RFC (forgot the number).

Kris

Krzysztof Dabrowski wrote:

> they are :) SMTP AUTH is documented in ESMTP RFC (forgot the number).

Ah, well TLS still has a higher "swank factor". ;)
Though maybe if none of this works out due to client bugs I can go that
route assuming the auth handshake happens after switching to TLS.  (Which I
can't imagine why it wouldn't, though I wonder if I can enforce that.)
I think I'll go scrounge that rfc up.  Mmmm, 2554.  All praise Magnus and
rfc.x42.com. ;)

--
Jamie Heilman                               http://wcug.wwu.edu/~jamie/
"You came all this way way without saying squat and now you're trying

[...]

OK I will reply but the reason noone else has ie largely because of the time
in most of the world at the moment, and the fact that you included virtually
NO configuration information (eg what is in virtualdomains, locals,
rcpthosts, sample LDAP entry, sample users/assign entry...all of these help
out somewhat).

BEST way of doing this as far as I can see (I have never used LDAP, only NIS
which IMHO is a little easier to understand and implement, albeit insecure
by default) is to not even have those system users on your main server. Have
aliases (either use .qmail-user files or fastforward) forward to
[EMAIL PROTECTED], and MAKE SURE that server.domain.com is NOT listed
in locals, and IS listed in rcpthosts (you need to receive for that domain
so you can relay it, but if it is in locals then you will get that error
described below where it says mailbox not found).

Also - qmail will probably do an MX lookup on server.domain.com to see where
to deliver mail to (depends how you've set qmail up). If it does, then you
will need an 'A' entry in your DNS to point to server.domain.com as the MX
record for server.domain.com. Otherwise just set up qmail to send using FQDN
(sorry, I can't remember how...It is in one of the FAQs or HOWTOs or docs on
www.qmail.org).

Good luck, please type slower next time, and if possible (I don't mean any
offense), a little more practise at english would help us all out to help
you.

/BR

Manager
InterPlanetary Solutions